What part of your conversion gave you the most trouble

I was just curious as others say were troublesome for them when they did their conversions. I just did the basic conversion and did absolutely nothing to the gas block so I can't speak for that. I figured out an easy way for the LRBHO spring so I wouldn't say that was difficult at all but there were a couple of other things I could mention.

Drilling out the large middle rivet in the trigger guard was a bit of a pain. That darn thing is tough and thick. The rear most rivet was no picnic either because I was concerned I would screw up that top screw hole that holds the stock on. I didn't have a punch skinny enough to pass through the screw hole so I couldn't make a dimple in the rivet. The drill bit danced all over the rivet so I quit drilling and used a cold chisel.

The hardest part for me believe it or not was getting the safety back in and getting it to pass through the retainer plate. I was using the modified LRBHO plate so that wasn't an issue, but man it was a time getting it to line all the way up and fit.

Anyone else?

Installing the safety was no picnic for me either until I egged the hole in the retaining plate. The CSS internal block didn't line up either so that was kind of a bitch. But by far the biggest pain in the ass was the lower GB pin. I had to beat the living fuck out of that thing to get it out.

Finding a new gun at a reasonable price to convert.000.gif

First build learning the S12 was different from the rifles.

Was surprised either the BHO had to be notched, or a shepherd crook had to be used.

Notched the first two BHO builds, and have used the SC on all the rest.

• Like 1

it wasn't all that difficult for me, I reused the original trigger guard, and used the same hole that was already there, didn't need to drill a second hole for the back of the guard as the pistol grip keeps the rear part in place rock solid.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Getting the nerve to cut on a gun was the hardest part.

The first time getting my BHO spring in was tricky until I figured out the trick.

The second one I used a hateful shepherd's crook just to try it.

Getting the nerve to cut on a gun was the hardest part.

The first time getting my BHO spring in was tricky until I figured out the trick.

^This. Exactly.

Spent a day convincing myself to cut the tang. Then an entire night to get that spring to stay.

I should have never put the shepherds crook back, I ended up having to buy a retaining plate.

The gas mod is easy, gunfun and I did mine in a tent while camping. I think I used a hatchet and a block of wood to knock my gas block off if I remember right.

Edited by Salt
  • Like 1
Strange, I posted in this thread a day or two ago and it was deleted..

I have noticed non political posts being deleted in a few threads. Don't know what to make of it myself...

It wasn't anything that should have been deleted..

I posted about how the rear sight removal was the hardest part of the conversion and posted a pic of the little rail I replaced the rear sight with. ?????????

The hardest part to mentally prepare for was drilling and cutting but after I started it was the easiest the hardest to me was the bho and shepards crook but overall the secret is patience on saiga it seems like nothing goes together right I had to file on every thing I put on

Edited by Taive

BHO spring was the biggest pain in the ass for me. Then after an hour or so of struggling I made a little hook to lift it into place. Super easy.

Can't wait for things to settle down and for the various caliber Saigas to come in. Going to go on a conversion bender.