Over Gassed Saiga-12?

I have converted a number of Saiga-12's. This one is acting a bit strange.

As always I lightly profiled and polished the bolt, bolt carrier, hammer, and trigger group.

This Saiga-12 has three ports the rear port is partially blocked. I would guess it is actually a 2-7/8 port gun.

The "problem" is that when I test fired it the other day it ran Wally World Federal 3 Dram, 1-7/8 oz, 8 Shot with the gas plug in position 1 (one) with zero FTF/FTE..

With my previous Saiga-12's I had to set the gas plug to position 2 in order to reliably fire low-brass bulk ammo.

The only thing different from any of the others I have converted is that the bolt carrier extension / piston is a bit loose. It is peened and does not rotate but it does have some axial slop.

My concern is when I run 3" magnum loads do I risk beating up the gun?

I have a TAC 47 Auto Plug I have never used. Maybe I should install it?

-BB

• Like 1

Is your trunnion getting beat up? You can put some tape or modeling clay to see if its hitting. Play do might also work.

Install the plug,and forget about switching settings once you dial it in.

Is your trunnion getting beat up? You can put some tape or modeling clay to see if its hitting. Play do might also work. Install the plug,and forget about switching settings once you dial it in.

The rear trunnion is un-touched although I have not fired any high-brass yet.

Good call.

I'll run a few 3" mags and have a look.

Thanks,

-BB

I wouldn't worry too much if the rear trunnion isn't beat to hell. I'm not positive but I think that the autoplug should help relieve an over gassed gun of excess pressure. Just curious, did you check the size of the ports?

I wouldn't worry too much if the rear trunnion isn't beat to hell. I'm not positive but I think that the autoplug should help relieve an over gassed gun of excess pressure. Just curious, did you check the size of the ports?

I have not checked the port size(s). They are as received from the factory.

Not sure how to accurately measure without removing the gas block.

After thinking about this a bit more....

This Saiga is a keeper.

I'm going to shut up and shoot.

Thanks for the replies,

-BB

Don't have to shut up..........post up anytime you have a question......or a good joke.000.gif

• Like 1

It sounds like it is on the hot side, but I agree with the above statements about actually checking with hot ammo to see if damage is happening.

In any event, this is a prime candidate for an autoplug or other gas plug with the ability to optimize your gas setting.

I'd say tune the autoplug to run 3 dram ammo, and increase by a half turn as the instructions state and you should be good.

As a favor to this project, please get some 3" mag 15 pellet full house OOB and run it with the autoplug in but turned upside down. I somehow doubt you will need to do a relief as I have done. I'd like to see if I am correct.