I was at a small local gun show today and had to bring this home. Bought it from an older guy who says it was a vet bring back. Story is a guy came out of the jungle and fired on a gun truck that had about a dozen guys in it who unloaded there m16's at him. A week later they went back and the guy was dead on top of the gun. The guy I purchased it from said he cleaned all kinds of blood and meat off of it. Apparently the guy who brought it back could not find the capture papers. It appears legit to me as there is lots of corrosion on the metal and blood is highly corrosive. Apparently bugs ate the stock. Should I do any cleaning on this rifle? Thoughts?

DSC01374_zps62351588.jpg
DSC01372_zps41d28235.jpg
DSC01373_zpsa18a5784.jpg
DSC01369_zpsb2ea4540.jpg
DSC01366_zpsc23c1864.jpg
DSC01365_zps5bc1a91c.jpg
DSC01363_zpse0397257.jpg
DSC01374_zps62351588.jpg
DSC01361_zpsab08977f.jpg

• Like 4

If you're interested in selling it, I have a buddy who LOVES Vietnam-era stuff and would be stoked to obtain a bringback, even without papers. Have you thoroughly searched it for import marks?

Absolutely leave it as it is. Remove surface rust with gentle solvents/oil, but do NOT scrub on it with abrasives or otherwise damage the finish.

I paid $180 OTD for it. It was from an older guy and he seemd honest to me. I would find it very hard to beleive that this rifle is not authentic, the bullet hole and corrosion from blood as well as the insect damage to the wood. I just do not see how this could be "faked". If it didn't have the bullet hole and other damage, I wouldn't have bought it, although $180 is not bad for a Type 53.

Nice find HOG! I friend of mine years agos dad was a Marine in WW2 (Bouganville) that came upon a Jap that brought his rifle up at the same time he did, and his dad got the first draw on the Jap. The bullet hit the Jap's handguard and travelled up and hit the Jap in the face, killing him. He brought the Jap's rifle back and my buddy has it. I saw where the round travelled up the handguard, carving out a groove and you can see the dark colored blood splatter stains all over the stock.

Very nice find! I saw a mosin sniper rifle, with the original scope and all, go through a local shop. This one was a bring home and had the papers with the story. The gentleman that sold it was presented the rifle, by a village, for killing its owner.

I haven't seen another Chinese with the /26\ marking on it and dated 1960, all the ones I have seen have the Chinese lettering on them. Is the /26\ marking rare on this gun? Have /26\ guns even been imported?

Unless there are papers or photos its just a story. Coulda sat in Bubbas water soaked garage and used as a hammer. Bubba might have no liked the "commie gun" and used it for target practice. Million different stories. Most likely it was an import that someone just didnt take good care off.

Another possibility is that the imports coming in lately are left overs. My LGS gets these Chinese Nagants in every so often and the last batch was slightly better then your picture

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1
Unless there are papers or photos its just a story. Coulda sat in Bubbas water soaked garage and used as a hammer. Bubba might have no liked the "commie gun" and used it for target practice. Million different stories. Most likely it was an import that someone just didnt take good care off.

Another possibility is that the imports coming in lately are left overs. My LGS gets these Chinese Nagants in every so often and the last batch was slightly better then your picture

No import marks, bullet hole, and bug damage on the wood. Seems like this would be pretty tough for someone to fake for a $30 "profit". It is one of those rifles that you have to see in person to appreciate.

The story may be bull shit, but where this rifle came from seems legit to me. I still have never seen a Chinese marked /26\ gun dated 1960 anywhere else, all the current imports are much older it seems.

Show me your papers! A metric shit ton of trinkets came back without any paperwork and most have lost thier history over time. The wounds to the rifle look like the real deal. It looks like many years of feeling the wounds placed finger grease and oil into the wound. It has an awesome color to it.

Clean it up like you would a normal rifle and put her up on the wall to see. Maybe even put it in a display case and let it hang up at the local VFW for a while. The story sounds honest. You should try to find the history of the story, the people involved or timeframe while the vets are still sharp.

Very cool find. Don't try to fix it up, just take care of it like a hunting rifle. Rust will absorb oil and keep it from creeping. It looks good already.

Don't sell it. This is very cool. Here is some more info about the rifle you may already know.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mosin%20nagants/Chinese-T53Carbine.asp

• Like 1