I owned one for a short time about 2 years ago. It was a H&R made. Seemed like at one point it was used as a training rifle and the previous owner stained over it so it wouldnt look like shit but if you held it at right angle in the light you could still make out the #s. Anyhow, I managed to score 6 tins of Greek 3006 along with some loose boxes and 2 smaller ammo cans of the same stuff. All in all I had about 2500 rounds. Cost me about $500 + the Garand was about $600.

First time out at the range I realized I forgot to bring targets! Duh!! My friend drew a circle about the size of a clay pigeon, with a dried up pink marker on white paper and ran it out to the 100 yard line. Oh and I also forgot my glasses! Double DUH!! So there I am trying to see a light pink circle on white paper thats a 100 yards away while squinting really really hard. I think I see it, but it could be just my eyes playing tricks on me while under stress from squinting......so I take 4 rapid shots! We go check the target and not only are all 4 shot in the circle 3 of them are clustered around the center with the last one being a bit high! It was the most accurate semi auto rifle I ever shot. In the end I sold it and the remaining 2k rounds of ammo because I couldn't afford to keep feeding it. The original ammo I bought I was just at the right place at the right time. I couldnt justify feeding and already expansive semi auto 7.62NATO rifle along with the Garand.

• 2 months later...

I just stumbled across this thread. It's a few months old. . . but figured since Shannon asked to share photos of our M1 Garands, I would comply. wink.png

My Garand is a newly rebuilt Harrington & Richardson by Dean's Gun Restoration (DGR). She's chambered for 7.62 NATO, with an 18" barrel.

CIMG4827.jpg

CIMG4836.jpg

CIMG4947.jpg

• Like 1