What's your most trusted blade

Does my Ontario 22in machete count? That thing has been a flawless piece of gear for over 8 years (for work and camping). If not, id have to say my s&w boot knife. One piece solid steel, is balanced for throwing (tho i know thats the last thing ya wanna do), and holds one hell of an edge with very little work.

Not a million dollar toy, but IMO for sheer utility and function, I think this model is near perfect: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=284http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=284 They can often be acquired for ~$90

For the same thing in slightly less fancy, but still incredible steel at a general price of ~$65 give or take 10:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=454 If in doubt, buy this one. You will not be disappointed if you are a utilitarian.

I think the first through 3rd generation of endura handles had a slightly more comfortable shape to the handle, but the construction methods are significantly better on the endura 4. I do not like the blade of the standard model endura 4, but love the FFG series.

I have it in a slightly different version, and a smaller version. I have owned and loved and lost (had stolen from me) almost every generation of it's predecessors.

To whit, this one:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=302

to be honest, I actually much prefer the standard FRN models for the lighter grippier handles. They have a more natural balance.

To comply with school rules, etc., I carry this one, the smaller and perfect for its size Delica 4 FFG. http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=456 There is also a ZDP version available if you want steel forged in the blood of the best unicorns. Sometimes I carry a Spyderco S knife, as I have since I misplaced my delica. It is slower for me to open, so I don't startle people with unthinking speed.

I also like some of the older benchmades that used the round hole, but when I had decided to buy, I was very dissapointed in a drop of quality.

I'll try to get some pics later. I EDC one of two Benchmade Auto Openers. For a sturdy but nimble fixed blade, I have a Benchmade Nimravus. For a bigger fixed blade that can be really used and abused, I have a M9 bayonet with an edge you can shave with. Pretty tough to kill that blade. ETA, I have others but these I do trust most as I carried and used each one for many moons in the Military.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 2

Like alot of what I write, I am prolly gonna make some people mad -- oh well... I like Mercworx stuff but the stuff is too overpriced and artsy for me. I am not immune from spending $585.00 for a custom knife. Bought the Jimmy Lile Rambo knife when it first came out -- was going to carry it on active duty -- Thank God! I was not stupid enough to do so...

I ended up carrying a Glock fixed blade with the root saw -- $21.00 back then. Could use and abuse and not worry. My EDC is either a Kershaw Leek or Blur. Both good knives, open quick and the leek is totally unobtrusive in the pocket. Most trusted? Too many to choose from to make that call.

• Like 2
Like alot of what I write, I am prolly gonna make some people mad -- oh well... I like Mercworx stuff but the stuff is too overpriced and artsy for me. I am not immune from spending $585.00 for a custom knife. Bought the Jimmy Lile Rambo knife when it first came out -- was going to carry it on active duty -- Thank God! I was not stupid enough to do so...

I ended up carrying a Glock fixed blade with the root saw -- $21.00 back then. Could use and abuse and not worry. My EDC is either a Kershaw Leek or Blur. Both good knives, open quick and the leek is totally unobtrusive in the pocket. Most trusted? Too many to choose from to make that call.

You make everybody mad Odd man. haha.gif Its ok though. I like to hear your opinion. While the Mercworx blades may look fancy, Im sure they actually do have a lot of good cutting dynamics, and would actually hold up well. I have a Spartan blade that I adore, but I havent had much chance to use it as its a limited use tool. I like to spend more money on a damn nicely made blade, but I'll be damned if its going to be a show piece. I'll use and abuse it. See if it will hold up to its name. What good is a Ferrari if its too pretty to drive?

• Like 1

Oh come on man It took me 3 months of reading reviews on reviews and search for a optimal lifetime blade before I decided on the going with mercworx.

Trust me when I say this knife is as strong and durable as it is "artsy"

I do however want to try and go through someone who can make a custom grip for it. I love love love the craftsman ship of this blade. Just wouldnt mind a nicer grip imo

• Like 1
Oh come on man It took me 3 months of reading reviews on reviews and search for a optimal lifetime blade before I decided on the going with mercworx.

Trust me when I say this knife is as strong and durable as it is "artsy"

I do however want to try and go through someone who can make a custom grip for it. I love love love the craftsman ship of this blade. Just wouldnt mind a nicer grip imo

I have no doubt about Mercworx. They make a badass blade. I have no doubt that it will hold up for whatever you throw at it. Some folks have a hard time spending a good chunk on a piece of steel such as this. But as long as the basics are incorporated into the making, then it will be a badass knive. I look forward to seeing pics, as I have a hard on for their blades as well.

• Like 1

FOX Trekking...

and compared to my Cold Steel Recon Scout....

Both are great... But, I the FOX has been the best overall Utility Knife I have ever owned. (And I had a Busse Steelheart I).

post-1473-0-99801600-1367067951_thumb.jpg

post-1473-0-49613000-1367067972_thumb.jpg

post-1473-0-04419000-1367068061_thumb.jpg

Edited by macbeau

Depends on how it is made. Full tang grip with scales is super easy. A lot of mid to high end folders will take a similar process. Pretty much trace out the shape you want using the tang as a template, glue them on with epoxy, maybe stick a pin or screw here and there then file or sand them down to the shape you want. There are tons of forums and suppliers, and odds are for any mass produced knife worth the bother that someone even offers pre-fitted scales that you just need to glue on and pin. Maybe even with fancy little multi part pins laminated from different metals. I suggest you browse around you tube and search for "custom knife handle" or something like that. A lot more people are comfortable messing with knives or making them from scratch than modding guns. If you want to learn, the info is out there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...