Shells ejecting too far a bad sign?

I recently added a 4th gas port to my gun to help remedy low brass FTE issues. I'm using an MD arms gas plug, CSS G2 puck, factory recoil springs as well as the JTE guide rod upgrade. I also had the barrel hood extension performed to fix the FTF issue with 2 3/4" shells.

I guess my question is: Should I be worried if high brass (3" magnum slugs or 00 buck) eject to what seems to be ridiculously far away and high up? Needless to say I am on the lowest gas setting, but these babies are flying away about 30 feet on average. I feel like I can count 3 whole seconds after a shot before the spent shell hits the ground. I haven't noticed any mushrooming or deformation on the back of the bolt carrier or the rear trunnion.

Low power shells cycle fine on full gas setting and don't go into orbit like the 3" mag shells do. Am I over-gassed?

Edited by allblackeverything

Idk. 12 gauge 1650fps slugs on setting one on my dph plug shoot 10 ft away but no wear on trunnion or carrier except the average. I just opened ports to shoot bird shot. So I dont think its over gassed . Yet to shoot 3" magnums yet.. how do those feel by the way lol..

^ when I first got mine and before and gas work I shot a few mags of 3" mag slugs and I couldn't believe the recoil! I'm not recoil shy either but it seemed worse than my pump supernova with 3 1/2" shells

Man I love 2 3/4 and 3" shells that are over 1500fps. The more fps the more I like it. The shoulder not so much, it will wear in eventually. Alot of my friends think I'm nuts, but its what comes out the other end not what I feel that matters to me.

• Like 1

By lowest gas setting you mean the lowest number or the lowest amount of gas?

Not shut mine outside yet so I cant tell you how far its throwing my shells, but I do know some guns just launch brass. Check out a Sig556 sometime. My friends always joke no one will ever get me on my 3 because my brass will take them out. literally ive seen it hit and bounce 20 yards.

By lowest gas setting you mean the lowest number or the lowest amount of gas?

Not shut mine outside yet so I cant tell you how far its throwing my shells, but I do know some guns just launch brass. Check out a Sig556 sometime. My friends always joke no one will ever get me on my 3 because my brass will take them out. literally ive seen it hit and bounce 20 yards.

Lowest amount of gas. Plug bottomed out and on the - setting.

If they are blasting out like that, why on earth would you be using a soft spring and a booster puck?

Switched to the factory puck, no apparent change. I thought I read somewhere that 1911 springs will work in these things?

I guess I should mention that my gas block is slightly canted. Would this effect gas flow? I wish I knew what to look for when I bought it, and didn't really notice until I pressed off the block and saw that the gas holes were off center of the opening in the gas block. The gun originally had the adjustable leaf sight, but I removed it and am currently using the CSS barrel sights due to the canted block.

Yeah I'm using the factory springs. I was under the impression that those are the stiffest ones available?

If you want to try, I believe even stiffer springs can be had via special request from Tromix. Send them an email or PM if you are interested.

If you want to try, I believe even stiffer springs can be had via special request from Tromix. Send them an email or PM if you are interested.

Awesome, I'll give that a try!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the gun functions now. It definitely took some elbow grease, but I feel that it is pretty much 100% malfunction free with all types of shells at this point.

Edited by allblackeverything