• 3 weeks later...

I like microtech knives but I feel they are a type of "boutique" knife. Great for what they are. Much like a high end sports car. They fill a niche. I use my knives hard in all sorts of sits. I guess what I am trying to say is that I'd rather prefer a Jeep -- you can do more with it and you don't need to worry about breaking it.

ANY knife can be lethal. As far as easy to carry (and add to that unobtrusive) try a kershaw leek. 3" blade (quite long enough if you have the knowledge) and does not shout "hey look at me, I'm a bad ass secret agent." Also it does not have the complication and potential reliability issues as OTF types but does have the really quick assisted opening feature Finally, you can buy it for $40.00. Again I like OTF's but I'll save my money and remain the greyman.

KE-1660G10.jpg

Edited by Odd Man Out

The kershaw would slip very easily if wet with sweat or blood. And I would think that a knife like a microtech wouldn't have any issues. If it did I'd be pissed.

And some knives are better than others for defense. The leek has a good blade design, that said a fixed is always better, the SOG pentagon elite with the 4" blade is a great knife for that. I carry a fixed most days. It's an Ontario shiv it's got a 4" blade ive got a teather about 4" and I made a kydex sheath with a hook so I hang the teather out of my pocket and if I grab it and pull the hook of the kydex gets caught and the knife comes out.

• Like 1

Leek with G10 handles = no slip.

"And some knives are better than others for defense. The leek has a good blade design, that said a fixed is always better, "

Truisms indeed.

Not saying the leek is a "combat" knife, rather it is an excellent under the radar every day defensive carry. It does not print in your pocket, I doubt that can be said for the microtech's with their blocky outline.

Edited by Odd Man Out

rolleyes.gif That's why I didn't buy a gas station OTF.

I've put my Troodon into my clothes washer 5 times (in one day, had a lot of dirty laundry) to see what would happen, still 100% reliable. Taken it to the beach, caked in sand and shit, still fine, as far as I'm concerned it's the AK of auto knives. The HALO I don't really carry, it's way to rare and valuable, but tons of folks have abuse tested the shit out of them, and if I ever got a 2nd one to carry I would have no problem feeling good with it.

Also I don't worry about breaking my knives because I know that they are a cutting tool, not a hammer or chisel or whatever, I have blade steel, it's a blade, I use it as a blade. If I need a different tool, I get that tool, if I'm in some wacky macguyver situation and that's all I have well guess what, I'll use it if for some reason wild rhesus monkeys took my Leatherman.

Now my Benchmade Infidels, those has been a finicky bitches to get to be 100% reliable. I bought those on no research on the benchmade name alone and luckily got a hell of a deal and they took care of any of the issues no prob.

I didn't buy it to be a secret agent lol. Oh flipping a knife is so hard? Nope, I just have a preference. I got it to be an operator DUH and it has a glass breaker so I'm a field medichaha.gif

Some people actually look at other people, most don't I can most always tell if a person is CC'ing, most are not professionals and make the simple mistakes. I always look at pockets and if a person is stupid enough to carry a knife by the clip, I note the make and side of carry. Old habits die hard.

rolleyes.gif That's why I didn't buy a gas station OTF.

I've put my Troodon into my clothes washer 5 times (in one day, had a lot of dirty laundry) to see what would happen, still 100% reliable. Taken it to the beach, caked in sand and shit, still fine, as far as I'm concerned it's the AK of auto knives. The HALO I don't really carry, it's way to rare and valuable, but tons of folks have abuse tested the shit out of them, and if I ever got a 2nd one to carry I would have no problem feeling good with it.

Also I don't worry about breaking my knives because I know that they are a cutting tool, not a hammer or chisel or whatever, I have blade steel, it's a blade, I use it as a blade. If I need a different tool, I get that tool, if I'm in some wacky macguyver situation and that's all I have well guess what, I'll use it if for some reason wild rhesus monkeys took my Leatherman.

Now my Benchmade Infidels, those has been a finicky bitches to get to be 100% reliable. I bought those on no research on the benchmade name alone and luckily got a hell of a deal and they took care of any of the issues no prob.

I didn't buy it to be a secret agent lol. Oh flipping a knife is so hard? Nope, I just have a preference. I got it to be an operator DUH and it has a glass breaker so I'm a field medichaha.gif

YEP, the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" and with a Microtech you get the best made OTF knife there is.

I have no problem with spending 400 on up for a Microtech.

Worth every penny. and worth the piece of mind that I can trust my life on one of these. Their is a reason why they constantly sell out every year. I have bought some of the cheaper knock off versions and returned every one of them..... I have never returned any of my Microtechs.........

2 more on the way as I speak. But I'm a knife lover first and foremost, gun lover second.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
  • Like 1

Odd man out how can you tell a square OTF auto from say a small cell phone? And who cares if it's noticeable that you are carrying? Th. Person your going to need to use it on isn't going to notice or they wouldn't be robbing people for a living.

Also I carry a 9mm in my waist band most of the time and one in my pocket as well some time. The one in my wait band in the front in a cheap uncle mikes so not noticeable no matter who you are. Hell I've stuck that in the band if sweat pants, I would look like I just rolled out of bed but I'm packing a PF9 all the time.

It does not print in your pocket, I doubt that can be said for the microtech's with their blocky outline.

Microtechs are far from bulky, in fact they are slimmer than most side folders.

all of my Microtechs are slimmer profile than my Buck 110 folder by a 1/2 inch.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
  • Like 1

I have an old Buck 110 I've had since '74 and it is a BRICK! I would hope that your knife would be thinner.

Hey! beaten.gif I just woke up! Sorry I highjacked the thread -- did not mean to, I just get involved some times. Nothing agains't the microtech, their just not for me.

hey Syndicate, I'm a dumb ass and haven't figured out that private message thing works. I don't know if I blocked you by mistake or not.

I did not mean to if I did. Someone needs to explain to me how that shit works.homer.gif

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

Odd man out how can you tell a square OTF auto from say a small cell phone? And who cares if it's noticeable that you are carrying? Th. Person your going to need to use it on isn't going to notice or they wouldn't be robbing people for a living.

AK, I've never seen a square OTF, most are in the shape of a long rectangle. Also I have yet to see a phone that is as thin as an OTF knife = apples and oranges. Also, I care if a person is carrying, especially if I do not know them. I have not gotten this old by being a trusting individual, I never assume...

It's like my first impression from a person I meet is which hand they wear their watch on -- the other hand is the one they will most likely swing from first. This is an ooooold habit from the service and as a civvy I don't plan on being in any confrontations but as I said, old habits...

• Like 1

Cop friend: "Oh not all kitted up with EDC shit today huh?"

Me: laughed at him, "Not unless my gun, knife and leatherman don't count as EDC shit anymore?"

Him: "Damn seriously?"

Me: pulls knife up, leatherman out of change pocket and taps pistol "Guess your buying lunch boot?"

Him: "Fuck you"

He's a Sgt and training officer heh

NP oddman wasn't trying to bash on you, just letting you know I don't carry things or buy things I'm not fully confident in, I'm a pretty picky person, and usually any purchase of this type of "hobby" stuff has me doing a lot of research on "why is this good? What are the Pros/Cons etc."

Growing up working on cars, tinkering, fabricating car parts, guns, in scouts, all that kind of hobby stuff where trial and error of why is this cheap POS a cheap POS? What makes something good? And work that is much easier going when you have a basic to intermediate knowledge of metals etc.

I do get a little testy when people act like I bought a glass knife that is just fancy and expensive and can't be used at times and I apologize for that. I wouldn't buy a knife i was afraid to use. Same thing with a gun or a car.

hey Syndicate, I'm a dumb ass and haven't figured out that private message thing works. I don't know if I blocked you by mistake or not.

I did not mean to if I did. Someone needs to explain to me how that shit works.homer.gif

You're good man, I deleted the msg. I saw that you had jsut ordered two and was like, he's probably not gonna bite, but if you had my old HALO it would give me the warm fuzzies in a way I guess. I hate the thought of selling this knife to someone that might break it thinking it's a screwdriver or something. I'm weird about selling knifes to people, just like most are with guns. It's like giving a faithful dog away, you don't want some douche owning it heh.

if you still have it towards the end of the year I may be interested.

But if your in a hurry to sell, Blade HQ will probably buy it for sure.

They sell their Micros faster than they can buy em.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--We-Buy-Knife-Collections--961

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

if you still have it towards the end of the year I may be interested.

But if your in a hurry to sell, Blade HQ will probably buy it for sure.

They sell their Micros faster than they can buy em.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--We-Buy-Knife-Collections--961

Not in a HUGE hurry, but ya that is a solid option. I wonder if they will give me even half of what I could get from the right person though?

If selling my Troodon and HALO since they are both rare ones and first runs would mean getting an optic for my bolt gun, then I'm down.

Syn

No harm no foul. I did not feel any testiness. I over research when I buy something. I want to make sure that I get exactly what is the best for me that will fit my needs perfectly. I also feel that if I need to spend the money to get the best, if that fits the bill then that is what I do. I also am a very pragmatic type. I drool over exotic hand made knives (this may strike you wierd but some knives are just plain sexy!) but if by chance I ever have to use my edc, I know I am going to lose it. With that in mind I can't justify dropping big money on an EDC. I'm also into watches -- I would love a Glycine Airman but I wear a Wenger...

• Like 1

What I meant by the phone vs knife in pocket is that the blockiness of a microtech OTF I doubt would be spoted even by someone watching for that kind of thing.

And in my option the leek is a nice knife just a little on the small side for defense use. Although any knife is better than no knife.

you guys don't realize how thin a microtech is.

The Troodon I have is a wee bit thicker than what shotgun has and it's barely thicker than my galaxy sII epic (which is THIN) and my halo is a wee bit thinner than the phone.

If I wear the knife at the corner of the pocket it is nearly invisible, you can see the clip if you try of course, but the seam of my jeans is right near where the knife rides that that serves to conceal its outline and size quite well.