When I carry out of state I normally carry my Kimber 1911 full size or my Sig 2022 which is normally limited to a few days at a time.

Since we will get concealed carry one way or the other by June 9th (I think). I'm considering actual purpose made guns for both the wife and myself. We wont be looking at anything less than 9mm. I know smaller calibers are lethal with good shot placement, but why carry anything smaller when there are a number of 9mm, 40SW, and 45 ACP on the market now.

What are you guys using? What kind of holsters work well with what you use? Got any pics to show how well it hides?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've carried a gun all day every day since about 1995 and I will tell you, the holster is more important than the gun. I tiny pistol in a shitty holster will do you in, after an hour. Most guys on t

I don't think anyone has anything particularly against revolvers. In all honesty, they are actually cooler in function and appearance. However, the low capacity and difficulty in reloading is what t

Coincidentally I got this little guy from Dan Clarke today. Great communication, fast shipping, the best price I found, THANKS Dan!  

Posted Images

Budget?

Im a fan of police trade guns. Quality at 1/2 the price. My main carry is a G19. but I also have and carry a S&W MP45, S&W 5946. HK USP9.

In no specific order

Glock

HK

Walther PPQ

S&W M&P (or older 3rd gens if you like all steel)

Not counting revolvers those are the only ones I'd trust my life to. Caliber is up to you.

I carry in IWB using a Galco King Tuck or Crossbreed.

You know what Glocks and HKs look like. Hre is my S&W 5946. This one I sold but I carry another just like it.

(OK no photobucket pics are allowed?)

Edited by Arik

I've attached a photo of the gun I carried, a S&W Model 457 .45 (7 round mag), as police backup and off-duty. Very accurate at 7 to 15 yards, and beyond, with very acceptable recoil. It was a little large, but easily concealed in the thicker clothing of fall/winter/spring. I carried it as backup, and a S&W Model 4505 .45 (10 round extended mag) duty pistol. It would also accept the full sized magazines of my full sized S&W 45's.

I could carry it off-duty in the summer, with a shirt hanging over it, without printing too obviously. Overall Length 714": Barrel Length: 334"; Weight Empty: 29 oz.

You can find them used for reasonable prices, you'll just have to look. I highly recommend it because it's .45, it's compact, and probably more affordable than some of the newer pistols.

I also carried a Ruger SP101, .357 5 shot revolver, 3 1/4 inch barrel. Small, accurate, easy to conceal and carry. Very accurate.

post-44169-0-65021500-1366744763_thumb.jpg

post-44169-0-51445900-1366744796_thumb.jpg

I have a KelTec PF9 that I carry in a pocket holster. It is a 9mm that will fit in the front pocket of jeans, cargo shorts, whatever. At work I have an Uncle Mike's slide holster that I run the straps of my vest through. Bascially the gun is in a slide holster behind my left shirt pocket.

The PF9 or the Ruger LC9 are both good conceal weapons if you dont want to wear big clothes over them. PF9 is under $300, and the Ruger LC9 is around $350-400 IIRC.

My daily carry is a Glock 27 and I got the wife a S&W Airweight in .38 Special.

The Glock lives in a DeSantis OWB leather holster winter and summer. Summer time I wear a tucked in t-shirt with safari vest.

It prints a little but the law says concealed not invisible.

Wife keeps hers in her purse in a separate zippered pocket.

I rotate between an XDS in .45, but both 9mm and .40 are due out this year if you prefer, and an M&P40c with either the .40 or .357sig barrel depending on the day and my activities.

I live in North FL/South GA area so it is hot most of the year and sweat can be an issue. My holster preference is the Remora model 6, works with both guns, since it has an impermeable outside and is cleaned with soap and water. The remora also works as a front pocket carry in looser jeans (typical style for 20-30 year olds) In the cooler weather times and heavier weather i love crossbreed for IWB. The remora tucks and doesnt print much in almost any clothes, and the cross breed does perfect in jeans or heavier clothing.

Unless they pass a bill, I dont think ill even carry. Having to know every city, town, and counties laws is going to be a nightmare. I like to ride around a bit during motorcycle season, thats all I need getting pulled over and arrested because Dipshitville limits to 5 round mags or some crap.

If they do pass, im looking at the XD(s) or XM(m) compact in .40. I like how the compact can become a full-sized pistol with the grip extension and a barrel swap. I might end up with that one is they dont drop an XD(s) in .40 soon.

Though, ive heard time and again, TRY ON what you are looking at before you buy.

Budget?

Im a fan of police trade guns. Quality at 1/2 the price. My main carry is a G19. but I also have and carry a S&W MP45, S&W 5946. HK USP9.

In no specific order

Glock

HK

Walther PPQ

S&W M&P (or older 3rd gens if you like all steel)

Not counting revolvers those are the only ones I'd trust my life to. Caliber is up to you.

I carry in IWB using a Galco King Tuck or Crossbreed.

You know what Glocks and HKs look like. Hre is my S&W 5946. This one I sold but I carry another just like it.

(OK no photobucket pics are allowed?)

No budget set. I'll save to get what ever we end up with. More interested in what people like to carry than price.

• Like 1
Unless they pass a bill, I dont think ill even carry. Having to know every city, town, and counties laws is going to be a nightmare. I like to ride around a bit during motorcycle season, thats all I need getting pulled over and arrested because Dipshitville limits to 5 round mags or some crap.

If they do pass, im looking at the XD(s) or XM(m) compact in .40. I like how the compact can become a full-sized pistol with the grip extension and a barrel swap. I might end up with that one is they dont drop an XD(s) in .40 soon.

Though, ive heard time and again, TRY ON what you are looking at before you buy.

I'm not too worried about dealing with all the municipal laws. Unless I have misread the decision (ehich is entirely possible) we should be able to conceal carry any where in Illinois with a FOID if nothing get passed.

Likely something will pass, but I hope it doesn't since Chicago will block anything that elimates Chicago gun laws. I would acutally love for Chicago to screw themselves into Constitutional Concealed carry.

I really like Glock 19s as a decent balance between firepower and size. Parts are available and it's an easy system to use. If I'm able to conceal it well (climate/clothing allowing), I also really like my Taurus PT145. It's a 10 shot 45 ACP that's not much larger than the G19. It also has the added benefit of "dual strike capability", which is a fancy way of saying it's a true double action.....so if a primer doesn't go off, you're able to pull the trigger again and hit it a second time, if you wanted to.

I'm not too worried about dealing with all the municipal laws. Unless I have misread the decision (ehich is entirely possible) we should be able to conceal carry any where in Illinois with a FOID if nothing get passed.

You misread something. If nothing passes we get court mandated carry (NOT what is mistakenly called Constitutional Carry), but there are currently NO laws on the books regarding CCW, so there is NO state preemption. That means that every town, municipality, county, etc can pass its own laws and there is NO overarching state law to preempt those laws. Without preemption local governments can pass laws more strict, but not less strict than state laws. Thus, Chicago, or Cook county, or Will county, or just Joliet, whatever, could pass their own complete CCW ban. Then we would have to fight out EACH and EVERY case in court, for years, all the way up, just to get a decent CCW law in just that city/county. Its a fight that will take endless time and money.

Until they pass those laws, they will just arrest you for Disturbing the Peace.

THATS why we are fighting so hard for preemption in any bill we get.

Even worse would be if they wise up and pass local laws in, say, Cook county, to limit CCW to 2-round revolvers or something, but not carryable within 5,000' of any liquor store, bus, train, cab, bar, or government building, including parking lots. Like the cigarette law, this would be a defacto ban but per the letter of the law not violate the 2nd, thus be MUCH more difficult to fight in court.

Another problem is that Rahm is fighting to get May-issue in Chicago/Cook, and the downstate reps who could care less about that shothole wanna let him, just to get something passed. The problem is that this means NOTHING will change in the city, which will kill the rest of this state like Detroit in Michigan, AND it works as a feather in the cap of the anti's in the future. Illinois had CCW, why did crime go up? They wont say how CCW was banned in the worse areas, just throw those stats around.

Edited by mostholycerebus

I carry a m&p 40 compact all day everyday in a desantis iwb. Invisible when wearing a sweatshirt barely prints in a tee especially if I use the flush fit mag instead of the extended grip one. Picked mine up used with zero wear for 400 otd. A bit heavy but if it starts bothering me I'll carry the pf9 in the same type of holster. I can try to get pics if you want.

My EDC is a Beretta 9000s subcompact chambered in .40 cal. I like the flip down extension on the mag so it fits my whole hand, my pinkie isn't hanging off, like most subcompacts I tried. I carry IWB works well in hot and cold weather...You can have a print here just has to be covered. Depending on how you wear your pants if you decide to go IWB you may have to get a bigger pants size or loose a few lbs. to be comfortable.

I am a cheap SOB so I lost a few lbs. haha.gif

They don't make a holster for my gun but I was able to find a synthetic one, blackhawk I think, that fits well and I have never had any issues. It's hot here most of the year a leather one was a little to sweaty for me.

2c.gif

My EDC is a Beretta 9000s subcompact chambered in .40 cal. I like the flip down extension on the mag so it fits my whole hand, my pinkie isn't hanging off, like most subcompacts I tried. I carry IWB works well in hot and cold weather...You can have a print here just has to be covered. Depending on how you wear your pants if you decide to go IWB you may have to get a bigger pants size or loose a few lbs. to be comfortable.

I am a cheap SOB so I lost a few lbs. haha.gif

They don't make a holster for my gun but I was able to find a synthetic one, blackhawk I think, that fits well and I have never had any issues. It's hot here most of the year a leather one was a little to sweaty for me.

2c.gif

After all, it's Tom Cruz approved! :D

minority_report29.jpg

Ruger sr40c is one of the best guns set up for concel carry i have seen and one of the best shooting guns out of the box i have ever shot recoil is great and everything on the gun is set up for concel carry not to snag clothes and crimson trace makes a nice laser for it

I carry an Xd-.40 sub-compact with a shock/waterproof Viridian C5L green laser/ 100 lumen rail mounted mini light combo with Trijicon night sights, and carry it around in the Tacloc ECR (enhanced combat rediness) holster made specifically for this set up. I can set the laser/ light combo up with multiple combinations. Three different light brightnesses, and either a steady or flickering green laser dot. I have mine set on the brightest light setting with flickering laser dot. With the desired light and or laser combo set to your desired setting, you put it in the holster and the light and or laser shuts off, but activates when the pistol is pulled out of the holster. The holster also has multiple gun positioning settings that you can adjust as far as how you want it to ride on your hip, and at the angle you choose.

My sub-compact holds 9+1 rounds in it's compact configuration, and the 11+1 round magazines turns it into a full hand sized pistol. I went shooting with it yesterday, and my green laser lines up dead nuts with my Trijicon iron sights at 17 yards. I can see the green dot in full sunlight at this distance easily.

In about a second, I can deploy my pistol, and have that pulsating green dot on a bad guys face. The mini light is extremely bright, especially for being so tiny. It will light up the tree line across from my home about a good 30' wide and out past 20 yards away. My Xd eats anything I feed it, and is unbelieveably accurrate. Was pulling 1" groupings at the 17 yards I had my target set up at yesterday.

post-8269-0-82180600-1366753614_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-42598300-1366753636_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-18859400-1366753665_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You misread something. If nothing passes we get court mandated carry (NOT what is mistakenly called Constitutional Carry), but there are currently NO laws on the books regarding CCW, so there is NO state preemption. That means that every town, municipality, county, etc can pass its own laws and there is NO overarching state law to preempt those laws. Without preemption local governments can pass laws more strict, but not less strict than state laws. Thus, Chicago, or Cook county, or Will county, or just Joliet, whatever, could pass their own complete CCW ban. Then we would have to fight out EACH and EVERY case in court, for years, all the way up, just to get a decent CCW law in just that city/county. Its a fight that will take endless time and money.

Until they pass those laws, they will just arrest you for Disturbing the Peace.

THATS why we are fighting so hard for preemption in any bill we get.

Even worse would be if they wise up and pass local laws in, say, Cook county, to limit CCW to 2-round revolvers or something, but not carryable within 5,000' of any liquor store, bus, train, cab, bar, or government building, including parking lots. Like the cigarette law, this would be a defacto ban but per the letter of the law not violate the 2nd, thus be MUCH more difficult to fight in court.

Another problem is that Rahm is fighting to get May-issue in Chicago/Cook, and the downstate reps who could care less about that shothole wanna let him, just to get something passed. The problem is that this means NOTHING will change in the city, which will kill the rest of this state like Detroit in Michigan, AND it works as a feather in the cap of the anti's in the future. Illinois had CCW, why did crime go up? They wont say how CCW was banned in the worse areas, just throw those stats around.

I understand now where you are coming from. It's not what was in written in the verdict, but what was not written in the verdict that I missed. Thank you for the information.

That is exactly how Indiana was until last summer. A couple of snooty burgs around Indy were trying to ban CCW with local laws. Fortunately, our state legislature put a top to that really quick.

Anyhow, as far a CCW piece goes, I would go down to the store and handle a few different pistols that you think might suit you and see what you feel comfortable with. If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't be carrying it. Just stay away from junk brands and you should be fine. For your first carry piece, you might consider selecting the gun and holster at the same time before becoming dead set with one or the other. Things to keep in mind with the combo are overall weight, what it's going to feel like when its hot/cold outside (my stainless P90 about freezes my hip/side to death if I'm in the cold long but it's in a high riding Biachi holster), how do you expect to draw in typical situations (seated in a car, walking around, laying on the ground, etc).

It's a lot like buying a pair of shoes... Lots of shoes are made in your size, and probably many of good quality, but only a few fit just right...

[quote name="sccritterkiller" post="894225" timestamp="136

After all, it's Tom Cruz approved! :D

[img=http://www.everythingaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/minority_report29.jpg]

I wouldn't know...I think the last movie I watched of his was Days of Thunder. I got it cheap at gun show probably 3 or 4 years ago...less than $300 cheap. Sometimes I have to leave it my vehicle when I am working so I figured if it gets stolen I'm not out much. I had a friend of mine loose a Kimber that way...Another point to consider...sooner or later you will have to leave it in you vehicle.

When it comes about in IL, i'm carrying a G32 full of bonded Gold Dots in a DeSantis leather holster and belt. It conceals nicely on my frame. But I have been looking at a G36sf since I have a full size in 45acp.

Edited by Mullet Man

glock 20 10mm full size, yes I ccw this weapon in a tommy theis holster with a loose button up shirt on during the summer, and I am 6'4" and 175lbs very skinny and thin waist, luckily broad shoulders.

bottom line anything can be ccw with a good holster and belt. 5.11 tactical reinforce is a good belt for the money.

I've carried a gun all day every day since about 1995 and I will tell you, the holster is more important than the gun. I tiny pistol in a shitty holster will do you in, after an hour. Most guys on the internet talk about "carrying", but that really means occassional carry, not all day every day, so their opinions will vary. The second issue is weight. A double stack, steel .45 is heavy as hell.....you won't last long with one of those.

I started off with a Detonics Combatmaster. It's a small single stack 45 , but it's not light. The thing is all steel and .45 ammo is heavy. I ended up with a Smith 3913 aluminum frame 9mm single stack in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 holster. It is the biggest gun that I am willing to carry, day in and day out. I shot two pit bulls attacking livestock with it....one at 45 yards and one at 65 yards, both running flat out. I fired 8 shots and put 5 into them. I don't think I could have done that with anything smaller and if the gun was bigger, I probably would not have had it with me.

Tony

• Like 4

I ankle carry a Glock 27 with an Uncle Mikes holster. I keep spare Glock 22 and 23 mags (15 and 13 rounds respectively) in the car/truck. 10 rounds of .40 in a small package is tough to beat.

I recommend getting the extensions for the 27 magazine so that you have a finger hold for your ring and little fingers.

I carry everywhere except the gym and feel weird when I don't have it on, but it definitely took some getting used to.

• Like 1

I carry a G30 all day every day. I have a custom leather holster for it and I truly forget it's there. I'm going to move to a Crossbreed if it ever gets here as holstering mine more than once a day is a bit of a pain. Everyone that has shot my 30 has liked it. Very accurate.

My wife's CCW should be ready any day now and I looked at the Ruger LC9 and compared that to a G27. The 27 I do believe is actually lighter. On her next day off, I'mma take her to shoot a 27 and make sure it's the one for her. But unless she hates it that is the weapon of choice for her for our needs.

• Like 1

I carry my CZ75 PCR in a Don Hume with the hammer cover made for a Sig P226, all day everyday as tony does it's 14 + 1 in the pipe, and a spare mag.

Have a full Leatherman Charge T-Ti in my change pocket and a pocket knife in my left pocket.

I decided on that CZ after having a Glock 32, Kimber 1911 Ultra CDP, .41 Mag, Walther PPK/s, Sig P238 as well (used to carry when I was wearing a suit and as a smaller option than the PCR).

I shoot extremely well with the PCR, it's got enough reach, far better than I am capable of shooting no doubt. Stupid reliable, classic design that has been copied a lot (it's a copy). The trigger only gets better and better over time, so often just use the gun and hold off on a trigger job. I've used it to dispatch a few coyotes thus far and when working on the deer land dispatched a small hog rather nicely. I decided to go with it after I asked someone if I could borrow theirs and shoot with it more than just a little bit, he obliged and the gun just works for me. The balance of it, the way it draws, target acquisition is quick. In "carry-mode" aka decocked the trigger isn't bad at all, in fact my decocked first shots are better than SA first shots with it.

• Like 1

My XDM 40 and Glock 27 is what I carry everyday. Depending on what I am wearing I use a Remora or a customized Desanti Intruder for both guns. I carry and extra mag in my left front pocket. Lot of great guns mentioned in this topic hope you can ccw soon.