I carry a G30 all day every day. I have a custom leather holster for it and I truly forget it's there. I'm going to move to a Crossbreed if it ever gets here as holstering mine more than once a day is a bit of a pain. Everyone that has shot my 30 has liked it. Very accurate.

My wife's CCW should be ready any day now and I looked at the Ruger LC9 and compared that to a G27. The 27 I do believe is actually lighter. On her next day off, I'mma take her to shoot a 27 and make sure it's the one for her. But unless she hates it that is the weapon of choice for her for our needs.

Glock 30's are awesome. That new 30S might be the perfect double stack .45 for CCW. It's really hard to go wrong by just picking a Glock up in your favorite caliber. I went through several carry guns including Kahrs (which are actually really nice), Rugers and Keltecs before I settled on my Glock 26... and I don't ever see changing now.

Edited by Risky
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've carried a gun all day every day since about 1995 and I will tell you, the holster is more important than the gun. I tiny pistol in a shitty holster will do you in, after an hour. Most guys on t

I don't think anyone has anything particularly against revolvers. In all honesty, they are actually cooler in function and appearance. However, the low capacity and difficulty in reloading is what t

Coincidentally I got this little guy from Dan Clarke today. Great communication, fast shipping, the best price I found, THANKS Dan!  

Posted Images

I have a KelTec PF9 that I carry in a pocket holster. It is a 9mm that will fit in the front pocket of jeans, cargo shorts, whatever. At work I have an Uncle Mike's slide holster that I run the straps of my vest through. Bascially the gun is in a slide holster behind my left shirt pocket.

The PF9 or the Ruger LC9 are both good conceal weapons if you dont want to wear big clothes over them. PF9 is under $300, and the Ruger LC9 is around $350-400 IIRC.

I second everything in this post. I looked at both the LC9 and the PF9 and ended up with the PF9 largely because it was less expensive, but it also carries 2 more rounds (7+1). My job has me shirt and tie so I carry it in a pocket holster most of the time since the pants allow for fairly easy draw from the pocket. It will fit in jean pockets but it's a little harder to draw depending on the cut of the jeans. I'm thinking about getting one of those holsters that look like a big cell phone case to carry it when I'm dressed casual.

The lc9 and pf9 carry the exact same amount of ammo. 7+1. I carry either one of these and sometimes both. The pf9 is lighter and in my experience more reliable. The lc9 is also a great weapon and it's a little "tighter" cause some crappy almost un-shootable lean bullet hand loads all fired in the keltec but jammed in the h chamber often of the lc9.

I grew up with 1911s so of course, my only CCW for quite awhile was a Combat Commander. I got on to Glocks and haven't even thought about carrying the Colt because I like to have more rounds on tap. My G19 and G23 although thicker, are similar in size for CCW. A Crossbreed Supertuck takes care of hiding them well. I'm in FL and wear t-shirts 90% of the time and there are no printing issues with that holster. I bought a LC9 because the wife wanted something smaller in a nine. That little shit really disappears in a Supertuck! It's a pretty nice shooter for a tiny nine. I hate to get into the great caliber argument because it is a moot point in my opinion. A 9mm can kill just like a .40 or .45. There is no magic carry caliber where shot placement isn't critical. Well, maybe a big Magnum round if you care to pack a wheel gun or Desert Eagle. I prefer not to de-limb them, rather put a controlled pair into their chest and call it a night. I usually carry a G19 with a 15 rounder in it plus a 17 rounder for a reload. Like Tony said, the holster is more important than the pistol. I'm a fan of the Crossbreeds although there are a few others that look good and get good reviews.

I agree about the lc9 it's a perfect pistol for being able to ware anything over it and have it disappear. The pf9 is lighter than the lc9. My wife prefers the keltec since it's 12oz .vs 17oz for the ruger both empty.

I carry a S&W .38. I have a great holster for it, it weighs practically nothing and feels so comfortable that I can almost forget that I am wearing it. Most importantly, I also shoot it often, at least 2x per week, and an profficiant with this pistol.

Tony had great points, I would only add that the pistol you carry should also be the one you shoot best with.

I would just reccomend a .357 in the same size.

edit: I am a firm believer in the simplicity and functionality of a revolver for a carry piece.

Edited by RobRez
The lc9 and pf9 carry the exact same amount of ammo. 7+1.

I'm an idiot. Replace LC9 with LCR in my post and it will then be accurate. It was actually the little .357 revolver I was considering at the time, not the 9mm semi-auto... (hence the 9 and the R on the end of the model numbers, which apparently I was too tired to pick up on)

I'm not trying to disrespect any other opinions here, Don't mean nothin, just saying.........have any of the forementioned semi autos EVER jammed??? Even just once??? well what if that one time was the one time you needed to save yer skin???

Revolvers NEVER jam......

"Revolvers NEVER jam......"

At the risk of spawning yet another internet pissing contest...I'll say "never say never". I've seen revolvers jam. And you won't be fixing it on the spot without tools and time.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/features/revolvers-dont-jam-and-other-firearms-myths/

Just sayin....

• Like 1

All I will say about that is it's possible to get a spent shell casing stuck under the extractor star if the muzzle isn't skyward while ejecting shells. That will turn the revolver into a hammer for a bit. At work I have a S&W .38 Spl. on for 8 hours a day (Departmental Issue). It get's heavy.

I carry a SA XD9sc in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It's comfortable and hides well.

I also have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that I carry in a Red Dog Gunleather pocket holster that rides like a wallet. I added a leather pad where cut-out is in front of the trigger guard on the pocket holster. It definitely help hide the shape of the gun. Don't forget, YOU asked for it... There's a picture of my ass with the holster in use.

post-23857-0-80773900-1366853707_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-77036800-1366853860_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-15211200-1366854187_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-18101900-1366854226_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-52730700-1366854257_thumb.jpg

Never had a jam or issue with my CZs aside from a friend mistakenly using a full size 75 mag in my compact at the range, even then only had issue with the last round. So only one thing caused by human error that would never happen outside the range.

I've easily got 10,000 rounds out of my full size that I've had for 10 years. I typically shoot 500 rounds of 9mm a month between 3 CZs, mostly out of my carry one now, trying to be as trained as possible.

I don't get crazy about cleaning it. I just use the frog grease on it, wipe it down a bit, and snake with some oil a few times every so often.

*shrugs* I've had 5 different CZ 75s, sold 2 of them, one was a alum lower that didn't have decock, and I didn't see the need. I had a Green PCR and a friend really liked it and needed a gun so I gave him a great deal.

Sorry had to amend this, only about 100 a month for the past 7 months, trying to conserve, and last election cycle also had to conserve.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Like 1

Fair enough. My "personal experience" has never included any issues with any of my revolvers. I have shot many thousands of rounds in my .44 mags and my .38s and every pull of the trigger resulted in a shot fired.However, "In my experience" every semi-auto pistol that I have owned has jammed, or stove-piped at one or more points in time. I own both types, but I am NO expert....Just going on what I have experienced.....I still stand by a revolver over a Semi-auto.

Only issue ever was a round that wouldn't fire, but I just squeezed the trigger and the gun fired the next round.

Really and honestly, have your Semi-autos jammed....probably yes, and have your revolvers EVER failed you, probably not one of us can say "My revolver jammed."

Anyone can find an example of a failure on the internet, but in reality, I would wager $ that the percentage of Semi/vs/revolver jams is rediculously in favor of carrying a revolver.

I apologise that they are not as cool, or not tactical, nor high-capacity, as a Semi-auto.

Fair enough. My "personal experience" has never included any issues with any of my revolvers. I have shot many thousands of rounds in my .44 mags and my .38s and every pull of the trigger resulted in a shot fired.However, "In my experience" every semi-auto pistol that I have owned has jammed, or stove-piped at one or more points in time. I own both types, but I am NO expert....Just going on what I have experienced.....I still stand by a revolver over a Semi-auto.

Only issue ever was a round that wouldn't fire, but I just squeezed the trigger and the gun fired the next round.

Really and honestly, have your Semi-autos jammed....probably yes, and have your revolvers EVER failed you, probably not one of us can say "My revolver jammed."

Anyone can find an example of a failure on the internet, but in reality, I would wager $ that the percentage of Semi/vs/revolver jams is rediculously in favor of carrying a revolver.

I apologise that they are not as cool, or not tactical, nor high-capacity, as a Semi-auto.

I carried a .41 mag some, pulled the Magnum P.I. Hawaiian shirt lol

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has anything particularly against revolvers. In all honesty, they are actually cooler in function and appearance. However, the low capacity and difficulty in reloading is what turns a lot of people away from them. You can say what if it jams in reference to a semi-auto, but you have to ask what if it goes dry in regards to a revolver.

Sure, the chances you would actually need to reload are slim to none in most circumstances... but those odds are probably the same as having that semi-auto malfunction right when you don't need it to. Plus you can clear a malfunction a lot faster than you can reload a revolver.

• Like 3

After firing as many rounds as I have, I'm pretty confident I can rely on my gun, it's served me well against larger varmints. Even if I had a few jams, with as many rounds as I've put through multiple of the same model gun, we're looking at 1 in tens of thousands man. I have a better chance of being in a car wreck twice in one day. If you are going to go the big what if route, then what if your revolver suddenly turns into a potato? I could honestly recall all day all the wild what if scenarios I've heard in gun stores about this or that gun, and all I can say in the end, if you are that worried, carry a hand grenade. (not trying to make fun of you just pointing out that in a word where anything can happen, probability and possibility have to be weighed)

• Like 1
I've carried a gun all day every day since about 1995 and I will tell you, the holster is more important than the gun. I tiny pistol in a shitty holster will do you in, after an hour. Most guys on the internet talk about "carrying", but that really means occassional carry, not all day every day, so their opinions will vary. The second issue is weight. A double stack, steel .45 is heavy as hell.....you won't last long with one of those.

I started off with a Detonics Combatmaster. It's a small single stack 45 , but it's not light. The thing is all steel and .45 ammo is heavy. I ended up with a Smith 3913 aluminum frame 9mm single stack in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 holster. It is the biggest gun that I am willing to carry, day in and day out. I shot two pit bulls attacking livestock with it....one at 45 yards and one at 65 yards, both running flat out. I fired 8 shots and put 5 into them. I don't think I could have done that with anything smaller and if the gun was bigger, I probably would not have had it with me.

Tony

Tony is spot on. I carry a Bersa 380 CC or a Ruger LCP. I have excellent holsters for both, and it makes for a nice ride. I will soon be carrying the Bersa BP9CC, once i decide on the right holster for. Being comfortable is EVERYTHING.

I don't think anyone has anything particularly against revolvers. In all honesty, they are actually cooler in function and appearance. However, the low capacity and difficulty in reloading is what turns a lot of people away from them. You can say what if it jams in reference to a semi-auto, but you have to ask what if it goes dry in regards to a revolver.

Sure, the chances you would actually need to reload are slim to none in most circumstances... but those odds are probably the same as having that semi-auto malfunction right when you don't need it to. Plus you can clear a malfunction a lot faster than you can reload a revolver.

Well said sir....

Glock is my preferred

G26

G27

G19

G23

Depends on weather and as stated mags interchange for capacities.

But also as stated get what is comfortable to you

I am a big fan of Glock as well, and own a 19 and 26. The 27 was a tad snappy for the wife, so she has a 26 in her car. In the cooler months, I will wear it with a pancake holster easily. Just too wide for my liking in the warmer months. The PF9 is my go to, and the one I carry most often in several different configurations (pocket, IWB, ankle), just depends on how I am dressed.

The key is figuring out what works best for YOU, and what you are most comfortable with, can access quickly if need be, and what you shoot well. Whatever gun you get, you will experiment and figure out how to carry it most effectively and most likely love whatever you purchase. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error.

• Like 1

Hello

After much trial and error.....

Springfield XD-S .45 w/ Crimson Trace (for P.M. social work)in a CrossBreed MiniTuck (only one belt clip, smaller "footprint") and a venerable G-36 w/ GlockClip set up for weak side (left) draw from SOB for motorbike use.

Haven't shot a buttock yet....

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

Picked up a G26 for my wife today. She gets her permit Friday morning so having found the only one in town I grabbed it. Before buying we went and spent a small fucking fortune renting a 26 and 27 as I've already owned a gun that didn't work out for her so I didn't want to go through that crap again.

We weren't even half way through a box of ammo and the decision was made. I the 9mm was much better to shoot. The 40 is a snappy round even in full size IMO. The only 40 I would own again would be in a full sized gun. I think I'll be sticking with 45 and 9. I like the "push" of the 45 rather than the snap of the 40. And the 9 is just plain nice to shoot.

The 26 is what I would consider much smaller than my 30. I'm very happy with this purchase for her and wouldn't hesitate to carry one myself. The gen 4 came with 3 mags (10+1), different sized back straps, and all the usual lock and brush BS. I bought a 17 mag for her so that she could have a 15 shot mag as well as a longer mag for range play. I also put Pierce pinky extensions on all the mags which I think give her 1-2 more rounds.

So there's two suggestions I have as I am very happy with the 26 and 30.

Now if I can only get my damn crossbreed. I ordered on the 11th and e-mailed them yesterday to check on status. They said that they are at about nine weeks for delivery. Knowing this wouldn't have changed my mind. It's just as it gets warmer I need a holster that will carry the gun deeper than my current EDC holster.

All I will say about that is it's possible to get a spent shell casing stuck under the extractor star if the muzzle isn't skyward while ejecting shells. That will turn the revolver into a hammer for a bit. At work I have a S&W .38 Spl. on for 8 hours a day (Departmental Issue). It get's heavy.

I also have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that I carry in a Red Dog Gunleather pocket holster that rides like a wallet. I added a leather pad where cut-out is in front of the trigger guard on the pocket holster. It definitely help hide the shape of the gun. Don't forget, YOU asked for it... There's a picture of my ass with the holster in use.

Man, I can't wait to get my crossbreed now. I'mma be able to get so much deeper and that will be saaweeet.

Thanks for the pics!

Man, I can't wait to get my crossbreed now. I'mma be able to get so much deeper and that will be saaweeet.

Thanks for the pics!

Hey, you're welcome. They're adjustable for height and cant. You can reholster easily. And it's guaranteed forever.