SMG mags, turn a 10 into an 8rd?

So I went to a few gun shops in my town and the only mags in stock are the SMG 10 rd. mags but to me they look a little strange being so long, but Id rather get my mags from around here rather than order off line. After looking at the 10 rd mags tho, i noticed you could actually just cut off the bottow segment of the mag and it will all still fit together. My question is would the spring tinsion from the 10 rd be to much for the newly made 8 rd or would I have to cut the spring down a little too, or if any of this would even be worth it.

cool thanks guys, I just tried it on one of my 10rd mags and it worked well. I just took a hand saw to it then replaced the insides. seems like its exactly the same but with a very very slight bit more tension, over all it worked out well.

Edited by 6-russian-6
I cut one of my SGM 10 rounders down to 8, and it almost made it feed 3" shells reliably, but not quite.

Perhaps you could "stretch" your spring a bit for more pressure? Haven't tried it, just an idea. Or maybe get a spring for a 12 round mag?

I cut one of my SGM 10 rounders down to 8, and it almost made it feed 3" shells reliably, but not quite.

Perhaps you could "stretch" your spring a bit for more pressure? Haven't tried it, just an idea. Or maybe get a spring for a 12 round mag?

I "fixed" them by replacing them all with Russian made magazines.

Seems I remember SGM stating the springs are identical for their 10 and 12 round mags... The eights are shorter springs I think. Sorry, don't have anything but 12's to compare. It's a long shot, but maybe they could source some extra long springs upon request???

I think the tens are perfect with the twelves being just a little too long. I would just use the tens and have 10 plus one instead of eight plus one..

It's never a good idea to stretch out the spring..you'll kill it. Your best bet is seeing if the 12 rounders are longer