I was shopping for a new quick release side mount for my SAM7R-61 and found a wide array. Has anyone here ever heard of one busting or malfunctioning? It would seem that all mounts regardless of price would find zero each time, is this true? Any +'s with going with a KV04S vs a heavy duty double rail other than weight?

1. Yes

2. No, some cannot even be zeroed without shims and wont hold.

3. K-Var is good BP-02 is better, which one?

The BP-02 reviews look good, but whats the difference between low and high profile? Can the irons be used with the high profile attached? Which do you prefer?

I have the Kvar mount and like it. It does place the optic a tad high, but works rather well and does hold a zero. Whatever you decide to go with, just remember that you do have to adjust the clamp to fit your rifle's rail. And if the mount is centered with the bore, most do not allow the use of irons with it attached, let alone with an optic.

The BP-01(high profile) sits about 1" off the receiver cover. Sighs are usable, but you have a jaw weld instead of a cheek weld. I liked it when I had my Millett on my Saiga, but sucked with a scope.

The BP-02 sits almost on top of the receiver cover. It's better for scopes and red dots.

The BP-02

DSCF0173.jpg

I deleted my BP-01 pic.

• Like 1

the BP-02 low profile is great for smaller scopes that you want to run with low-profile rings. it's almost as low-down as having a railed top cover. you can also change out the rail section to make it as long or as short as you want it, unlike some other mounts where the rail is cast or machined into the mount itself. unfortunately you cannot use the iron sights with the low-profile mount.

surprisingly, the UTG clamping side mount has some pretty good reviews. there's two versions: one with hex-head set screws, and another with a locking clamp. if you were going to get the UTG mount, get the locking clamp model. it can be adjusted for tightness just like a standard Russian clamp.

I got a BP-02 low-profile used for super cheap. I don't know how I would feel about paying the as-new price for it.

6UyFH.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Pics are worth a thousand words...

Heres a better view of the KV-04s with a Trijicon Reflex.

post-32793-0-23770100-1366931992_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-60205600-1366932028_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-06439200-1366932058_thumb.jpg

Still a tad too high for using irons, but its not hard at all to slide it off and switch to them if the need arises.

Find an optic and mount that you feel comfortable with, and learn the hold overs/unders for your ranges other than zero.

• Like 1

Most of those clamps come right off. A lot of people refuse to trust an optic, thinking they

always want the sights usable, but that causes a problem.

While the scope may or may not fail ever, you will always shoot worse with bad weld. The

proper position for a scope is "as low as possible."

Most of those clamps come right off. A lot of people refuse to trust an optic, thinking they

While the scope may or may not fail ever, you will always shoot worse with bad weld. The

I agree, but disagree. You need to be proficient with both. I like to call it repetition. It takes getting used to, and like anything new, or never tried before, a shooter may or may not shoot well it at the first go around. But enough trigger time with any optic, regardless of they type of hold they have, they will get better. If not, then they dont need to be shooting, but stick to something they're good at.

• Like 1

Since This Is A Saiga Forum......perhaps the best answer is that ANY factory exploiting side receiver scope mount will only be as good as the factory alignment of the factory rails allowing side scope mounts to be...mounted.

Both of my "keeper" Saigas, (not the NIB ones I'm going to be selling) required that the left side receiver mounts had to be removed and reshimed both right to left and from up to down. The mounts were WAY off as from the factory.

Easy to realign using automotive valve adjustment trimmed shim stock. Now on my keeper Saigas, the Eotecks shoot straight down the pipe, (barrel) up, down and left and right with the Eotecks exactly centered in their adjustment potential.

Both are right now in the safe and I am too tired to go get them. I have forgotten what type of Eoteck mount selected for both the Saiga 12 (Betty Bucker) and the Saiga 16.3 " bbl 7.62x51 cal, (Maxenne Blaster) Both allow scope removal.

Without removing the scope. But...just barely. The Eotecks are mounted as low as they can go and still have the top cover come off for cleaning. The name of the compay is three capitol letters...like APG, but that is not it. Too tired. HB of CJ

surprisingly, the UTG clamping side mount has some pretty good reviews. there's two versions: one with hex-head set screws, and another with a locking clamp. if you were going to get the UTG mount, get the locking clamp model. it can be adjusted for tightness just like a standard Russian clamp.

I've happy with both of mine, both are the clamp type, one has a Leapers 3-9x40 scope, the other has a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

With the scope, I can get 2" groups on my good days, and I always do better than what the factory pamphlet says it will do, so I'm happy.

I've happy with both of mine, both are the clamp type, one has a Leapers 3-9x40 scope, the other has a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

With the scope, I can get 2" groups on my good days, and I always do better than what the factory pamphlet says it will do, so I'm happy.

I have a UTG quick detatch with a primary arms micro on top. Im surprised how many times ive taken it on and off, and my zero never deviates at 100yds. I really like it, but for an extra couple bucks, go for the low profile bp-02. My mount is just low enough to block my irons, and I wouldnt want it much higher.

Forgot to mention that, I've taken off and put it on more times than I'd ever even think about counting, and it still shoots the same place it always has, if it ever changes it's usually just the adjustment screw working itself loose after a few dozen removals, tighten it back, and it's just fine.

I agree, but disagree. You need to be proficient with both. I like to call it repetition. It takes getting used to, and like anything new, or never tried before, a shooter may or may not shoot well it at the first go around. But enough trigger time with any optic, regardless of they type of hold they have, they will get better. If not, then they dont need to be shooting, but stick to something they're good at.

It's part of basic marksmanship to get good weld to the stock. High scope rings limit/prevent it, and also cause difference

between using scope and using sights. You don't have to agree or disagree as this is not my opinion or position, simply

the facts. High scope rings are for big aperture scopes.

• Like 1

It's part of basic marksmanship to get good weld to the stock. High scope rings limit/prevent it, and also cause difference

between using scope and using sights. You don't have to agree or disagree as this is not my opinion or position, simply

the facts. High scope rings are for big aperture scopes.

Like I said. Repetition.

ETA: We're talkin about AK's, not precision bolt guns. Most side mounts will not give you a very good weld, depending on the optic used. At least not like you would get with a bolt gun. High rings are intended and made for scopes that have a larger objective lens, but dont forget preference. I have an old buddy that likes the high rings. Its his preference. But I do concur with your above post, but in a limited manner. And yes I can disagree with basic marksmanship when it comes to the weapon in question, as we are limited on mounting options for the optics.

Edited by Captain Hero

It was explained in detail to me years ago why the optics need to be as close to the barrel line as practical. It stuck and Ive never regretted it.

A good low side mount with low rings(if applicable) does this to fair degree if the optics are chosen well, 50mm objectives make no sense on an AK IMO.

Well IMO, marksmanship has more to do with the understanding of ballistics, trajectory and the shooter, and not the HOB. The height is a factor, but it isnt a huge factor for a battle rifle IMO. Im more concerned about putting rounds on threats, and not shooting a flea's nutsac off at 200m. It is an important aspect, but there are just as my important things involved other than the HOB. Its called a weapon system for a reason. The Marine Corps taught me how to shoot, and I learned a lot from it. But a good example as to how far it can be stretched is Russia. They have had several examples that were rather effective that had a fairly high HOB. It can be done, with repetition of course.

Well IMO, marksmanship has more to do with the understanding of ballistics, trajectory and the shooter, and not the HOB. The height is a factor, but it isnt a huge factor for a battle rifle IMO. Im more concerned about putting rounds on threats, and not shooting a flea's nutsac off at 200m. It is an important aspect, but there are just as my important things involved other than the HOB. Its called a weapon system for a reason. The Marine Corps taught me how to shoot, and I learned a lot from it. But a good example as to how far it can be stretched is Russia. They have had several examples that were rather effective that had a fairly high HOB. It can be done, with repetition of course.

You are right on the money I purchased my Saiga 223 to be a sheepdog weapon. No scope just a red dot 50 to 100 yards is all I want it for. Now that it is set up I shoot it very little and when I do it is only about 5 rounds and it is always right on. To me it is a tool nothing more. But I am a GUY and I love my tools

A scoped AK is cool and all but you must be able to use your irons immediately if you use a scope as a primary aiming tool. Quick detach mounts are not the answer. I have seen alot of pics of AK's used in combat. Lets use the Russians in Afghanistan as an example. You rarely see an optic. I have seen more mounts w/o an optic in pics than with. I know some people don't see so well, thats different.

A scoped AK is cool and all but you must be able to use your irons immediately if you use a scope as a primary aiming tool. Quick detach mounts are not the answer. I have seen alot of pics of AK's used in combat. Lets use the Russians in Afghanistan as an example. You rarely see an optic. I have seen more mounts w/o an optic in pics than with. I know some people don't see so well, thats different.

This is why I wish more optics used a permanent reticule, like the Russian Obzor or ACOG - if the illumination fails, the optic continues working. IMO low-power optics (1.5-4x) can be used just as easily as a red dot or holo sight.

I still do most of my shooting with irons. I haven't lost my eyes, so even bladed leaf sights out to 200+ yards is fine for me, but if I had enough cash to put a quality optic on every single AK I have, I would.

This is why I wish more optics used a permanent reticule, like the Russian Obzor or ACOG - if the illumination fails, the optic continues working. IMO low-power optics (1.5-4x) can be used just as easily as a red dot or holo sight.

I still do most of my shooting with irons. I haven't lost my eyes, so even bladed leaf sights out to 200+ yards is fine for me, but if I had enough cash to put a quality optic on every single AK I have, I would.

Irons are out of the question for me .Darn its tough getting old. Love is when your wife buys you a red dot because she know your blind.

• Like 1