Saiga 12 JT Magwell and FTF

I've been cruising these forums for a while and they've been a huge help in customizing my saiga. I've managed to open up gas ports, change out parts, modify magazines etc. But now I have two problems I can't seem to find answers for.

1. I have a JT magwell installed, but I still have to rock my magazines a little bit to get them to lock. Not quite sure how to fix that.

2. With Estate shells, I've had several failures to feed. Where a shell was stripped off the magazine but it jammed onto the upper lip of the chamber.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

It is very hard to diagnose feed angle issues with a magwell from a difference.

Pictures of the seated mag empty and also of a full magazine inserted with the bolt locked back and the dustcover off might help to diagnose.

magwell fitting is very precise business. It needs to be done dead on, exactly how the instructions say in the order the instructions say. That done, it is a beautiful thing. People are often surprised how big a difference tiny misalignments cause.

to educate yourself, I suggest you do a few things:

1) Call Jack Travers of JTE. He will get your mag fit straightened out if it is off.

2) Read about "barrel hood extensions" that might be what you are describing.

3) if not search "extractor slot FTF"...

4) see if the problem occurs with other ammo, and also give us all the info on the lid of the ammo box.

5) also search for threads with "feed angle" in them to see if your gun is in the normal range.

Welcome to S12!

FYI, the internal search doesn't do well. it is better to put "forum.saiga12.com (your search terms)" into google.

• Like 1
It is very hard to diagnose feed angle issues with a magwell from a difference.

Pictures of the seated mag empty and also of a full magazine inserted with the bolt locked back and the dustcover off might help to diagnose.

magwell fitting is very precise business. It needs to be done dead on, exactly how the instructions say in the order the instructions say. That done, it is a beautiful thing. People are often surprised how big a difference tiny misalignments cause.

to educate yourself, I suggest you do a few things:

1) Call Jack Travers of JTE. He will get your mag fit straightened out if it is off.

2) Read about "barrel hood extensions" that might be what you are describing.

3) if not search "extractor slot FTF"...

4) see if the problem occurs with other ammo, and also give us all the info on the lid of the ammo box.

5) also search for threads with "feed angle" in them to see if your gun is in the normal range.

Welcome to S12!

FYI, the internal search doesn't do well. it is better to put "forum.saiga12.com (your search terms)" into google.

I pulled a few pics from the archives... this mod wouldn't be a bad idea. I haven't ever had this FTF while shooting but once in awhile if I hand chamber a round it will which tells me some S12 are borderline (due to loose tolerances? Different mags? Different length shells?) on needing a hair added to the barrel hood. Its something I may try eventually.

The first two pics were from JLang I believe and the third pic was a different member (forgot the name)post-46357-0-46214700-1366995854.jpgpost-46357-0-33667700-1366995879.jpgpost-46357-0-15060600-1366995955_thumb.jpg

Edited by dubya