What did you do during the Ammo Panic Daddy?

Im looking at this as a good thing, for me at least, as Im not burning much ammo and aint paying those prices. So how to make lemons into lemonade.

Things to get done since buying ammo and new firearms isnt happening:

Any work you want done on you firearms;

Having that side rail trued.

Fixing that slight cant in the front sight.

Adding that brake you been putting off or getting that muzzle re-crowned.

Buying those spare parts you always intended to have.

Upgrading those mounts and optics.

Bedding that hunting rifle.

New sighting system for "night duty" firearm.

Avoiding anything tacti-cool in the process.

I would say getting some more training but those are as full as the shelves are empty.

You get the idea and I'm sure others have even better ideas.

What did you do during the Ammo Panic Daddy?

laughing at everybody else who is panic buying. I'm pretty much set with ammo I bought before all this stuff happen, and it's not going to interfere with my range time or interval, matter of fact I will probably go to the range more often this year.

once ammo goes back to sensible levels, I will replenish what I've shot up.

• Like 2

I guess this applies more to those that already have sufficient stores.

I have a long standing rule, don't shoot what wont be replaced next week .

I still go I just shoot very s.l.o.w.l.y. Actually my shooting has improved due to this.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

Well I haven't been shooting a lot, but when I do I focus on accuracy, and I feel like I'm getting more value on my practice because of that.

I've had more time and money to spend on improving the house I bought a few months back, getting my garage all set up, and clearing out space in the woods to shoot bow, airguns, and eventually suppressed .22lr - I hope to get a WASR-22 to go along with my SIG 522 for that.

Once the garage is set up, I have an AK kit build to do, and a small "restore" project...

I ordered three Chinese barrels (it took three to get one that wasn't ringed, but for $15/ea, who cares?) to rebarrel my Yugo 59/66. This was the first centerfire rifle I ever bought, and I bubba'd the hell out of it. A couple years back I sold all of the bubba garbage, brought it back to original shape - althought I had stupidly thrown away all of the original GL parts. It will now become a M59 clone, but with the gas port shutoff left installed so I can operate it as a straight-pull if I want.

Rebarrel a lowly SKS? Some may laugh, but I see it as a respect thing. It was a piece of history that I naively destroyed. I'm bringing it back as best as I can. There aren't that many gas-selectable M59s with a chrome-lined barrel, either! The Chinese barrel is absolutely pristine, so it should be a great shooter. The current barrel is so pitted that the rifling looks more like a suggestion to the bullet as to what it should do.

I also bought a classic 1970 Honda Trail CT90, pristine shape, and have been having a shitload of fun riding that thing, along with some minor restoration. IMO the Honda Trail is the AK of classic utlitarian trail bikes.

In other words, I've kept busy with gun-related stuff without doing much shooting.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 3

Reloaded, reloaded, reloaded.secret_smile.gif It's getting hard to find anything except lead pistol bullets now, but they're out there. I even started reloading 00Buck since that dried up.

• Like 4

T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I.A.I.F.F. ( The end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine). Pretty much knew the beginning of the end was coming several years back, so I got almost all my ducks in order since. Just waitin' for the "Shot Heard Round' the World", so I can start living the life I've been prepping for. I by no means wish it to happen, I'm just prepared for when it DOES happen, which I believe is just around the corner.

I did spend over $3K about six years ago on a Hornady L-n-L AP reloader with all the accompanying bells and whistles, not including the many thousands of brass casings I picked up and cleaned all the brass I found at the gun club I belonged to for four years, the bullets, primers, and powder that I stocked up on. I probably have enough to take out every DHS thug 25 times. (just kiddin' LOL!).

I did lay all my shit out on and around my shop table last weekend, and all I saw were dollar signs and lots of bartering tangables (bullets). So Now I'm gonna once again, start getting more reloading supplies, and actually start making loads.

• Like 1
Got a new stock from Boyd's for my hunting rifle. I'm waiting for the bedding epoxy to cure as I type this. Once that's set up it'll be time to continue tweaking my handload I've been working on.

Those are excellent stocks. Not a bad idea at all.

What did we do?

Bought a place in the sticks, then set up an air rifle range in the front yard. It's helped me learn to work around my floater in my dominant eye, and the kids love the fact they can just grab a couple, and pick cans off the fence all day long for peanuts.

Oh, and I thanked God for the wisdom to stash all that cheap stuff back the last 16 years.

• Like 2
What did we do?

Bought a place in the sticks, then set up an air rifle range in the front yard. It's helped me learn to work around my floater in my dominant eye, and the kids love the fact they can just grab a couple, and pick cans off the fence all day long for peanuts.

Oh, and I thanked God for the wisdom to stash all that cheap stuff back the last 16 years.

My problem is I have cross dominate eyesight, shoulda played more baseball.

Just takes some work or even an eye patch but its a real pita some days.

Getting another place away from the EBT card set sounds so damn good. Air rifles make a lot of sense in the tool box.

What did I do? I lost respect for a number of retailers who were price gouging.

I also realized my policy of picking up a box of PMC every time I was in Meijer (back when prices were cheap) was a great idea and left me with more than enough bang.

And I got some great deals on tin foil.

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 2

What did I do during the Ammo Depression of 2012/2013?

I got a lot of good sleep on the big pile of ammo that I had the foresight to gather well BEFORE all this silliness!

And spend my days reloading even more...

Macbeau...

• Like 4
got an m35a2. all gun stuff took a back shelf.

I finally decided I am getting one! I just have to sell some stuff first. I am hoping in 1-2 months I will be able to get one of these beasts!

nice!

What did I do during the Ammo Depression of 2012/2013?

I got a lot of good sleep on the big pile of ammo that I had the foresight to gather well BEFORE all this silliness!

And spend my days reloading even more...

Macbeau...

I never found 7.62 all that comfortable. horror.gif

I sat at home looking at stacks of ammo while being a smug asshole about it. haha.gif

since that's how most of these threads go I figured I'd throw that out there.

I decided what do I need a gunsmith for and got shit done, with much research and what not, didn't rush and fuck things up, well mostly lol

• Like 2

Lets see, since all this crap began i got a saiga 308 and converted it (the price was too good to pass up), sold my saiga x39 along with some ammo and mags to fund the purchase of a sgl-21 (again at a pre panic price), got a bayo and a manticore flash hider for it, and bought a vortex 1-4x scope and butler creek caps for it. I am making a list of all the ammo sources that are price gouging as they will never never see one red cent from me. Been working on finishing the basement so ill have a place to store my stuff (man cave meets armory lol), and saving money to get a vortex 2.5-10 for the 308. I dont have a huge stockpile of ammo so when prices return to normal ill be building up a bigger supply as well.

Im shooting more than before, I like others, saw the handwriting on the wall, bought more guns I wanted and ammo 2 months before the nutty shit started, I bought a Saiga 12ga and ended up here looking for conversion parts

I have a 130yd range in the backyard, and recently I chopped a winding pathway thru the forest out back about 200 yd for a tactical pistol course.I have about 20 different 18x 24" Nazi Zombie targets Ive put together to add a little fun to the pistol course

I also bought some reloading equipment and molds and have been casting 12ga 1oz lee slugs, & 9mm plinking ammo, this has been a cheap way to share with friends to get them interested in the hobby....some ammo is back in stock at my local gun shop an some reloading supplies, pre panic prices, so unless the UN treaty issue screws us in some way, Im feeling pretty comfortable

retired early and life is good

I sat at home looking at stacks of ammo while being a smug asshole about it. haha.gif

since that's how most of these threads go I figured I'd throw that out there.

I decided what do I need a gunsmith for and got shit done, with much research and what not, didn't rush and fuck things up, well mostly lol

Surprisingly not much of that so far.

Ive no problems using a smith, in particular since I watch him work and learn a thing or two.

Some things need experience to be done right.