I have started shooting PSG in the UK and have been looking for my first ever shotgun, in fact its my first firearm of any kind.

I tried some 3 shot semi-autos (that is the only type I am allowed to use in the UK without a firearm certificate and actually owning the gun, you cannot even borrow or use someone else’s to try them) and I could not get used to only loading single shell at a time, I found it very time consuming and awkward, even with speed loaders it still looked slow and awkward. I also wanted a shotgun that will give me a the best chance of winning a few competitions, therefore I decided on a magazine fed shotgun.

These are very rare in the UK and not easily obtainable, there are a few second hand Saiga 12’s available in the UK but I wanted a brand new gun with a warranty, there are only two that I could find, the Vepr 12 and the MKA 1919. As I was unable to try each and decide for myself which is better I was left with researching on the web and this great forum.

Another factor apart from quick loading was cost, the cost, a standard Vepr 12 in the UK is about $2,200 (comes with one 8 round mag) and the MKA is $1,400 (comes with two 5 round mags and one 10 round mag) and after reading this forum I would still need to spend further money making them both competitive.

In the end I went with the MKA, my main reasons for selecting the MKA was the availability in the UK of parts and accessories, as well as the cost of the gun and magazines, a Vepr 12 8 round mag is about $150, while a 10 round MKA mag is $68, even with everything I added below the total cost including 3 extra 10 round mags for the MKA was $2,300 which was only $100 more than a standard Vepr 12.

Extra parts added by my firearm dealer so far………..

Tooth and Nail Level 10 left handed forened

Extended bolt release

Extended Mag release

Extended safety

Tooth and Nail stock adapter

MagPul stock

Truglo red/green dot sight

Low recoil spring

Three extra 10 round magazines

Other bits I plan to add myself later…………..

MagPul MBUS

MagPul BAD Lever Extended Bolt Catch

Are there any other modifications/upgrades/changes I should do, I am not looking for cosmetic changes just changes that will make the gun work better and be more reliable

Hopefully this will be a very reliable shotgun and I can’t wait to start competing with it.

Here are a few pics

post-44611-0-26839700-1367044440_thumb.jpg

post-44611-0-91594600-1367044441.jpg

post-44611-0-51425600-1367044443_thumb.jpg

post-44611-0-37160600-1367044445.jpg

Good Luck , Nice gun. We've had excellent results with ours.

Depending on what shells your shooting, make sure it's broke in good. High brass, over 1300pfs it will most likely cycle fine , low brass , you will need to have shot at least 100 rounds, a few guns will require more, a few less.

If the low power shells don't cycle you can install (make your own) gas booster ring. That will help until it's broken in good, then you should be able to remove it and still function reliably.