Gas Puck....

Anybody know if there are any after market gas pucks that will make the recoil a little bit less on some heavier rounds... Like 00 Buck and Slugs or high-velocity... Something that will allow a little bit of the gas to come out the front instead of all of it being blown back... it's not like I don't think the bruises on my shoulder are sexy, I'd just like less of them after being out on the range for a few hours and few hundred rounds...

Or do you guys have a better suggestion that doesn't require me to be a gunsmith???

Edited by glennjason

Limb saver recoil pad... Most d the aftermarket pucks seem designed to utilize more gas. Though I'm sure there is something you can do. I'd leave it alone personally and just get a butt pad. Don't wanna Ru. Into iffy situations with lower power ammo

I only know of one aftermarket puck for the Vepr. Carolina Shooters Supply makes and sells it. It is exactly the same as the factory one but is made in the USA. so,it can help with your parts count if needed. I do not know of anything like the old "magnum" twister pucks for the V12 and if I did I would probably steer clear.

Edited by sunnybean

GLENNJASON,

TRY THE ENIDINE SHOT STOCK (GOOGLE) A HYDRAULIC BUFFER THAT REPLACES THE BUFFER TUBE IN AN M4-TYPE STOCK.

IT WILL, OF COURSE, REQUIRE YOU TO REPLACE THE STOCK WITH AN M4 TYPE (GOOGLE ACE GUNSTOCKS).

I HAVE ONE ON MY S-12 AND CAN PECK OUT 3 ROUNDS OF 3" MAGNUM 00BUCK IN JUST OVER A SECOND (AND STAY ON A SILHOUETTE TARGET AT 15YDS), USING AN AGGRESSIVE STANCE.

I ALSO HAVE A VENTILATED POLY-CHOKE ON IT AS A MUZZLE BRAKE, AND THE BLOODY THING WEIGHS ABOUT 12LBS, WHAT WITH TRI-RAIL, LIGHT, LASER, VERTICAL GRIP, SIDE MOUNT AND OPTIC, AND FOLDING M4 STOCK WITH ENIDINE.

BUT EVEN AT 12(+?)LBS, I COULDNT SHOOT IT THAT FAST AND ACCURATELY BEFORE THE ENIDINE.

JESS1344

Kinda figured there wasn't a puck worth getting...

I was already thinking about a limb saver. I just wasn't too happy about making the Vep's even longer. I guess 1 1/2 or so wouldn't kill me... I have the bonesteel folder on it now and have the folding extension tube on it's way. Any ideas is the LimbSaver will fit the former???

And the Endine seems pretty bad-ass although I've never seen it before. Has anyone actually installed on these on their Vepr's and not Saiga's? Not that I would think there would be much of a difference as long as the stock was compatible which I think the Bonesteel would be???

Which Size limbsaver is the one I should get???

Edited by glennjason
GLENNJASON,

TRY THE ENIDINE SHOT STOCK (GOOGLE) A HYDRAULIC BUFFER THAT REPLACES THE BUFFER TUBE IN AN M4-TYPE STOCK.

IT WILL, OF COURSE, REQUIRE YOU TO REPLACE THE STOCK WITH AN M4 TYPE (GOOGLE ACE GUNSTOCKS).

I HAVE ONE ON MY S-12 AND CAN PECK OUT 3 ROUNDS OF 3" MAGNUM 00BUCK IN JUST OVER A SECOND (AND STAY ON A SILHOUETTE TARGET AT 15YDS), USING AN AGGRESSIVE STANCE.

I ALSO HAVE A VENTILATED POLY-CHOKE ON IT AS A MUZZLE BRAKE, AND THE BLOODY THING WEIGHS ABOUT 12LBS, WHAT WITH TRI-RAIL, LIGHT, LASER, VERTICAL GRIP, SIDE MOUNT AND OPTIC, AND FOLDING M4 STOCK WITH ENIDINE.

BUT EVEN AT 12(+?)LBS, I COULDNT SHOOT IT THAT FAST AND ACCURATELY BEFORE THE ENIDINE.

JESS1344

Yes, the endine should help you out on recoil. If you want even more recoil absorbtion, combine it with the fab defense mako GL shock stock.

IMPORTANT: Please note that this may cause a cycling reliability issue with light loads.

Heavier recoil springs are NOT made, only factory springs and lighter springs for lighter loads are available. The puck that comes from the factory is already considered the correct puck for heavy loads. There are smaller pucks for lighter loads along with a lighter spring.

Edited by DresNightfire

According to bonesteel, an ACE stock pad will screw into the stock but it does overlap. Bonesteel supposedly had a pad coming out one day (i hope it is soon) cor the Galil style folder.

The ace pads are only like $10-$12, and more often than not you can find them on the EE at ar15.com for cheaper. Theyre is a 1/2" and 1" pad to choose from. The 1" absorbs a ton of recoil and may cause fte, but the 1/2" would probably be perfect.

Go to the bonesteel vendor page. He has pictures of the new stock pads that will be for sale soon for the Galil folder. They look really nice and best part is they are stackable to let you get the perfect LOP for you.

Might be worth a little more wait if you like.

Go to the bonesteel vendor page. He has pictures of the new stock pads that will be for sale soon for the Galil folder. They look really nice and best part is they are stackable to let you get the perfect LOP for you.

Do you have a link to the page? Just visited the Bonesteel web site and couldn't find the pads...

this is what the 1/2" ACE pad looks like on the bonesteel folder. screw holes line up with no problems, takes a lot bite out of the V12.....a lot more pleasant to shoot. crappy cell phone pics....too lazy to get the Canon out.

post-34288-0-91302000-1367367013.jpg

post-34288-0-31508400-1367367054_thumb.jpg

post-34288-0-73728700-1367367077_thumb.jpg

I fired a couple of 3" 00 buck shells with the puck removed, and the shotgun STILL almost ejected the empties! The felt recoil was reduced significantly compared with firing with the puck in place.

I plan on picking up one of the CSS pucks and filing a couple of grooves on the sides to allow some gas blow-by to deal with this.

I don't care so much about my shoulder, I'm more concerned about breaking the oprod or carrier. I understand the Russians have seen some break in competition.

Edited by Aries144
I fired a couple of 3" 00 buck shells with the puck removed, and the shotgun STILL almost ejected the empties! The felt recoil was reduced significantly compared with firing with the puck in place.

I plan on picking up one of the CSS pucks and filing a couple of grooves on the sides to allow some gas blow-by to deal with this.

I don't care so much about my shoulder, I'm more concerned about breaking the oprod or carrier. I understand the Russians have seen some break in competition.

Sounds like an Auto Plug would suit you better and keep the internals cleaner.

There is no plug on a Vepr.

There is no plug on a Vepr.

Well, that does pose a problem...:-)

I guess it would be good to know what category I am in before posting.

• 4 weeks later...

Please keep us updated on this if you do decide to mod the puck

Certainly would be disasterous here to have that happen with the lack of OEM replacement parts available. A screw up, operator error or just plain end of life cycle for a part error, would become a $1300 oops for certain.

There's a company that advertises replacement bolt carriers for Saiga shotguns, and those will work in a Vepr. Unfortunately, no one makes a Vepr oprod. So for a carrier failure, you could conceivably get a replacement. Not for an oprod failure though.

I'll post when I get around to buying and modifying that puck.

• 8 months later...

this is what the 1" ACE pad looks like on the bonesteel folder. screw holes line up with no problems, takes a lot bite out of the V12.....a lot more pleasant to shoot. crappy cell phone pics....too lazy to get the Canon out.

attachicon.gifPhoto120.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto121.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto122.jpg

chg that to a 1" from being a 1/2"....wasn't paying any atten when i posted this.

Edited by adjc
  • 1 month later...

I think this is a real problem not to be bandaided (it's a word now!) by recoil pads, buffers, and stern "man-up pussy" comments. The huge advantage of an ak shotgun is the violent reciprocating mass and subsequent recoil reduction IMO. The unnecessary mechanical stresses are real, and damaging. I could have bought a much better deer gun for the 1200$+ I have in my 20ga. But I'll put it up against the best bennelli has to offer. Even with there CAD designed shark gills stock. That being said, I have an iz 433 en route to my ffl, and just order a vepr sat (as you would have to be a fucking moron to not sell one of your kids if must, to get a steal like that) When they show up I will design a reproducible solution. I regards to the puck mod of cutting groves in the OD has several drawbacks. Only thing I would suggest it drill very small hole axially. That way you can sneak up on proper function instead of overshooting massively. The cross sectional area is usually grossly underestimated for an flat on the OD. Also the area increase(read slip or gas leakage) accelerates drastically and the "cord" is only slightly increased. It can work but would only be repeatable with a small mill. My goal is to find a fix we can all benefit from.

• 2 months later...

To update. The vepr 12 and saiga 030 arrived at the FFL the same day. I took them out shooting and even on birdshot I find them offensive on the recoil, and just plain abusive on any slug. It took me several weeks but I came up with a system to control the gas without permanent mods to the gun. There are posts and test vid under "new selective gas system" thread.

• Like 1

Wow. I shot mine today for the first time and I dont think recoil is bad at all not any worse than my Remington 870 which I dont consider bad at all. Also, it has a 28" barrel, this has a 19". Buckshot seemed to have a little more recoil than slugs. It cycled 15 rounds of #8 birdshot target loads (low brass 1200 fps) as well no problem with only one stovepipe and hasnt even been broken in yet. I think ill just stick to 2 3/4" rounds and not stress the gun with 3" even though it can shoot. I never shoot 3" in any of my shotguns anyhow. I dont think its being overgassed with the variety of rounds I shot, although I didint try 3" shells. My shoulder dosent hurt at all, probably because of the rubber buttpad rather than a plastic or metal plate on someother guns. But recoil and controllibility , im surprised no one has suggested the GK-01 muzzle brake. I could control it pretty well firing quickly but there is noticeable muzzle climb. The brake I ordered from CSS should fix that. It seems also theyve compensated for the fully open gas system by installing a heavy recoil spring. But I mean really with most semi automatic firearms, you want to stay away from the hottest loads in that caliber (I.e. expensive or reloaded super-charged Hi brass 3" magnums) because its hard on the gun. Unless you have a way of adjusting it out by changing a recoil spring (slowing bolt thrust) or bleeding off more gas.

Wow. I shot mine today for the first time and I dont think recoil is bad at all not any worse than my Remington 870 which I dont consider bad at all. Also, it has a 28" barrel, this has a 19". Buckshot seemed to have a little more recoil than slugs. It cycled 15 rounds of #8 birdshot target loads (low brass 1200 fps) as well no problem with only one stovepipe and hasnt even been broken in yet. I think ill just stick to 2 3/4" rounds and not stress the gun with 3" even though it can shoot. I never shoot 3" in any of my shotguns anyhow. I dont think its being overgassed with the variety of rounds I shot, although I didint try 3" shells. My shoulder dosent hurt at all, probably because of the rubber buttpad rather than a plastic or metal plate on someother guns. But recoil and controllibility , im surprised no one has suggested the GK-01 muzzle brake. I could control it pretty well firing quickly but there is noticeable muzzle climb. The brake I ordered from CSS should fix that. It seems also theyve compensated for the fully open gas system by installing a heavy recoil spring. But I mean really with most semi automatic firearms, you want to stay away from the hottest loads in that caliber (I.e. expensive or reloaded super-charged Hi brass 3" magnums) because its hard on the gun. Unless you have a way of adjusting it out by changing a recoil spring (slowing bolt thrust) or bleeding off more gas.

Hmmmm

Maybe some of them are more overgassed than others. But I am worried about the op rod where it threads into the bolt carrier , its loose with threads exposed and dont want to over stess it. But the bolt isnt smacking into the back of the reciever or anything.

Edited by asdaven