Chopped Barrel with Bonesteel Brake - Reduced Gas Dwell Time, FTEs wit

Had my barrel chopped and a perm attached bonesteel brake. Went out today for the first time since and put an incredible amount of rounds down range. It was a good day indeed. Shot the Vepr, my Aug, an AK, my Benelli M4 and even an Old Model 75 22lr with peep sights that my father shot on his highschool match team.

Anyway... the Vepr with the new rig, FTE'd pretty bad on Winchester Universal and even pretty consistently, though not as bad, on Federal Bulk Packs both picked up from Walmart.

I expected this from the chop and perm - but wanted to try it first before I started monkeying with the system to get it back to feeding cheap low brass again. It still feeds magnums fine so I am good hands should I need to really use this beast. No issues with Bulk Packs before Chop and Perm.

So what do the guru's say about next steps? Reduced springs? Bolt Carrier and FCG reprofile/polish? If it was yours, what would you be doing to get it eating bulk packs again?

Picture of the unit in question:

4WXhtez.jpg

Edited by ec4321
  • Like 1

Keep the mechanicals the same and increase port size by small increments. If you have a cordless drill and the other tools, you could even step up port sizes at the range. Just bring an assortment of the tiny lettern and number size bits and increase in steps of ~ 0.002" As it gets close, you might do 2 of the five ports

• Like 1

That is a beautiful gun. I had a similar expirence with an s 12. Here is what I did to get it back to 100% with bulk packs. I profiled and polished the bottom of the bolt and carrier as well as the tapco trigger assy. And then installed a jte performance hammer spring, which further reduces the resistance of the hammer on the carrier. That got it back to about 98%. Then I installed a md arms booster puck which got it to 100% reliable again. Unfortunately they don't make a booster puck for the vepr yet. So if I were you I would start with a slight reprofile and polish and a new hammer spring. Before I started messing with port sizes I would reduce as much friction as possible, that is just my opinion. Then if that didn't work I would start increasing port size.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Great advice.

Will try to get some more pictures.

As for the mods:

Bonesteel Brake - Chopped Barrel to 18" with Brake

Magpul UBR Stock

Rifled Dynamics / IWC AK/AR Buttstock Adapter

G2 Trigger

CSS Puck

CSS Aluminium Rail

Magpul Rail Sections attached to modified handguard (Dremel)

Safety, Handguard, Rails and PG cerakoted.

Railed Gas Block from Kvar

I think that is the bulk of it so far. I have the JTE guide rod, and I have a CSS Spring on their way... also looking at Bolt Carrier, Bolt and FCG polish re-profile but I haven't done any of this just yet...

big_smile.gif

• Like 1

Hey EC how did that CSS rail seem to hold up during your range time? Were you running optics or just using irons? Did you notice any carrier strikes on the larger front screw head? Like I was saying in that other thread i'm curious about this particular mod as I might be going that route myself. Oh, like others have said...you have a nice looking V12 for sure and if it were me I would start with some polishing then work from there.

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Thanks for the reminder.

So I ran an eotech on the rail. I forgot to try it with the cover held up, like an idiot.

Taking a look under, I don't see any rubbing from the front screw on the CSS rail. However, it looks like it is introducing a new problem, at least with an eotech on it.

DnhC3CZ.jpg

p22CzHp.jpg

YmufFf0.jpg

The center screw seems to be impacting the section of metal that is attached to guide rod between the springs as it reciprocates back and forth. Worse yet, it is catching the front edge of it as the bolt returns to chamber a round. Certainly, this issue must be eliminated to acheive maximum efficency.

Would the gun cycle with low brass even if this wasn't a factor? I don't know for sure. It did cycle with high brass no issues. I guess hit that screw with a dremel and possibly that metal cover a bit too...

Any thoughts?

Does Greg @ CSS know about this?

Edited by ec4321

The metal piece flops around alot, The factory rivet made the same mark as the screw head. I take mine out as it creates more problems with cycyling light loads than keeping any debris out.

• Like 2

Hmmm... it definetly wasn't there before the runs with the CSS rail. I know because i took pictures of the inside same area before going out for the shoot this weekend.

Before I had the CSS rail installed, I ran the EOTECH on this exact gun. Don't take that the wrong way just trying to figure out why it rubs now, didn't before. I'd rather hit the screw with a dremel than remove that metal piece entirely, at least as a first step. I also have the JTE guide rod from your website, I haven't dove in on that yet.

Unfortunately i don't have pictures of the factory rivets to compare...

Can someone snap a picture of the factory rivets?

Try polishing the moving internals before you make the ports bigger. Like Obi said, you'll be surprised at how much it can help. That is a badass shotgun. Looks like a keeper.

• Like 1

There is no wear on mine anywhere but the taller front rivet making contact with the carrier.

The two smaller rivets dont really stick out much, but they still arent exactly flush.

post-32793-0-54508200-1367457688_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-61819100-1367457702_thumb.jpg

The shutter on the RSA has not made any contact on my shotgun at all, nor has it made contact with the two rear rivets. I have close to a thousand shells through it so far, and the only portion of the shutter that makes any contact with anything is with the bolt carrier and part of my dust cover when its moving rearward under recoil. And it barely kisses the dust cover.

post-32793-0-59433500-1367458070_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-93879000-1367458167_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-70654600-1367458181_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Will get some mor pics soon. greedy.gif

The FCG, Bolt Carrier and Bolt are on their way back from being re-profiled/polished.

For the recoil spring/dust flap / rail screws - I took the offending screw out and reprofiled it with a dremel then polished it to a mirror shine. It can no longer 'catch' on there as it clearly had. I also re-profiled, believe it or not, the dust flap that is connected to the recoil spring assembly. so that it is thinner and has a ramped edge, it is also mirror shined down the center.

I suspect (hope) it will feed the low brass again once all the parts are re-united. If not, will consider 1) a lighter recoil spring for low brass loads, 2) mucking with the ports.

• 1 month later...

Got my fcg and bolt/ carrier back.

Feeds federal bulk great. Win universal not so much.

Eotech on top causes ftf and FTE. (Capitan which trij reflex do u have?) ... (Need to read cobras thread again).

Have not tried lighter spring but it does feed win universal when butt stock is on a tree.

I have a very aggressive stance so its not that, but obviously a tree is more sturdy.

Going to try universal with eotech on tree in a minute.

Got my fcg and bolt/ carrier back.

Feeds federal bulk great. Win universal not so much.

Eotech on top causes ftf and FTE. (Capitan which trij reflex do u have?) ... (Need to read cobras thread again).

Have not tried lighter spring but it does feed win universal when butt stock is on a tree.

I have a very aggressive stance so its not that, but obviously a tree is more sturdy.

Going to try universal with eotech on tree in a minute.

I have an RX-06 triangle. I love it. When I ran it on my V12, I mounted it as far back as I could, while still being able to use it comfortably and didnt have any issues.

Um, what should it matter whether you polished the screws. Is the bolt carrier hitting them? It should not be.

On the vepr, the front rivet/screw does hit the carrier and ride it for ~inch. Apparently helps the LRBHO.

Secondly with the scews from the CSS rail, the dust cover flap that rides on the recoil spring impacts (badly) the middle screw. See post #8. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/87784-chopped-barrel-with-bonesteel-brake-reduced-gas-dwell-time-ftes-with-bulk-pack/&do=findComment&comment=897029

CSS's advise was to remove the dust cover flap thingy. Which I have done for testing to make sure it wasn't a factor today, but that's why the screw was reprofiled/polished - to avoid that issue.

So you take off Eotech and it runs fine? Sounds like you have too many variables... Try to remove as many as possible. Obviously you cannot undo the rail and the barrel. Everything else should be returned to factory and ditch any optic for now to help narrow down issue/issues. Is your only problem Win bulk? If it feeds Fed bulk fine then who cares? I don't even know if mine runs Win bulk. Don't care to find out either. Fed bulk imo is > then Win bulk...

Edited by Muffman

The shutter shouldnt be an issue, but did it still fail even with the shutter removed?

Yes. Failed with the Eotech or Win U even without the optic. Shutter was removed today entirely.

So you take off Eotech and it runs fine? Sounds like you have too many variables... Try to remove as many as possible. Obviously you cannot undo the rail and the barrel. Everything else should be returned to factory and ditch any optic for now to help narrow down issue/issues. Is your only problem Win bulk? If it feeds Fed bulk fine then who cares? I don't even know if mine runs Win bulk. Don't care to find out either. Fed bulk imo is > then Win bulk...

Yes. but before rail/chop/perm brake it ran with the eotech just fine. I think I am just barely on the line.

Re-read Cobras thread, and this post probably nails it:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86407-confirmed-optic-rail-not-useless-after-all-edit/&do=findComment&comment=877293

I can try the lighter spring, or try opening up the gas. With higher powered loads none of this is an issue so I am not sure it really matters to me - it's just running the junk is a measure of if everything is in order it seems - so getting there would be ideal.

I ran some winchester bulk yesterday, but only a few mags, and I did have a few ftf's, but one was the shell catching on the barrel, and the other was my fault for limp shouldering. Mine has run both win and fed bulk without issues when I do my part. Keep in mind this shitty ammo could and likely will have variations with the loadings, but it should still cycle them even though these loads are bare minimum power-wise.

The shutter shouldnt be an issue, but did it still fail even with the shutter removed?

Yes. Failed with the Eotech or Win U even without the optic. Shutter was removed today entirely.

That sucks bud. Its obviously not the shutter causing any issues then. Did you notice any more contact at all with the shutter removed and no optic?