Questions about the .223 Vepr's

I'm considering a straight backed Vepr to take the place of my Saiga .308. I had two .308's but no .223. That why I sold the Saiga.

- Do they shoot 5.56 without ill effects?

- What magazine options are there and what's best?

- Buy 16 or 20"?

- Should I buy the newer straight backed version or a Super model?

5.56 is good to go in the VEPR or Saiga 223 rifles.

Best mags are the Bulgarian Circle 10, and Polish Beryl.

I would go with what you like best for barrel length. Both are accurate with brass cased ammo. Standard brass cased shoots great but not as accurate.

I would go with the straight back version. Easier to replace stocks, and 922r changes. The Super model has some different internal parts and stocks.

• Like 1

You will need a bullet guide. Be careful tapping the threads the metal in the trunnion is thicker so threading takes longer. Several of us have broken taps threading them. You do need to remove about 2.5 mm of metal from top of the magazine release for any magazine other than factory mags to lock in. One of the import modifications Molot uses on the Vepr to comply with import restrictions it to use a longer magazine release. I have used a small jewelers file to accomplish this as well as a Dremel. With the Dremel you can easily remove too much material if you do not test fit the mag frequently. Hand filing takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. Dremel takes about 15-20 minutes taking my time and test fitting frequently.

Depending on the importer the barrel may or may not be threaded. All of the Vepr I've done have been WPA imported with threaded barrels, and a barrel nut pinned to them. Captain Hero and I both have photos of that in the 223 and 5.45 sections. If it's imported unthreaded you'll have to decide if you want to thread it or not.

• Like 2

Centerfire had them for $599 yesterday so I ended up buying a 16.5" barrelled 01 version. Had to settle for the slant cut receiver at that price. Don't think the barrel is threaded either. I may pay the $350 to Definitive Arms to do their conversion. They add a mag well and it will take any mag an AR will. It's also a straight in and straight out mag system like an AR has(no rocking).

Any 223 or 5.56 ammo works. Steel cased ammo generally is not as accurate as brass, but if you are shooting for center mass out to a couple of hundred yards steel case will be accurate enough. If your looking for MOA at 100 yards or more go with brass case ammo.

Believe me. You did not settle for the slant cut. Good price for an awesome gun. $350 seems steep to me for the AR mag option, but if you prefer AR mags go for it. I prefer rock and lock to AR mags. Never fall out and you don't make your hand sore smacking the bottom to seat the mag. I've had a couple that dropped out an AR on me when I needed them most because the mags were off a hair on the mag catch notches.

Don't judge the barrel thread by the photo. Often the photo is a stock image and may not be 100% accurate.

Edited by liberty -r- death