Need to pick a new folding stock, and rant about a shitty ATI product

Hey yall, I know, another conversation about STOCKS, some of you veterans are probably screaming at your keyboard telling me to use the search and such. Here, let me help! “Joe you goofy nerd, find the search button and utilize it! Don’t waist my LIFE with your stupid questions.” Admit it. You feel better now.

I purchased an ATI folding/telescoping stock less than one year ago when I did my conversion, and this thing is…. Complete and utter garbage that I wouldn’t trust on a god forsaken .22. I would never even consider defacing my airsoft gun with this trash, and I am offended by the fact that they sell it for a shotgun. More than once the worthless screw that holds this plastic piece of trash together has come out, causing the stock to fall onto the ground.

Even besides the fact that it, well, never worked, I didn’t like it. The hinge is enormous and loose, the stock is heavy (Yet crap plastic) and when folded its still extremely large and bulky. Its time to get a new stock.

I some opinions from the Gurus, what’s the best folding stock you have ever used and why? Best in weight, comfort, and cheek weld? I have heard awesome things about Bone Steal Folders. Im not apposed to cutting the tang if the stock is right.

Thanks for reading my angry rant and thank you in advance for you input!

Valid! I have wondered about how stiff they lock up, but they difficulty to install is a bit of a deal breaker....

I remember a photo on here of a weird stock that seemed interesting. It had a steel rod with a the butt pad at the end.... instead of folding you could collapse it, and the rod would run down either the left or right side of the weapon, till the butt pad was all the way against the rear of the weapon. It was odd looking, and I cant remember who made it...

Bonesteel makes good stuff. He's a great guy to deal with too. They don't require cutting the tang like most every other folding option out there. I think you can order left OR right folders from them now. One or the other, not one that folds either way.

The 100 series folder is solid, but as mentioned, a bit of a pain to install. If you can get someone that knows what they're doing to install it for you, that'd be my first suggestion. When locked open, they're essentially a fixed stock.

The most common setup I've seen is the ACE folding mechanism (I prefer the non-push button) with whatever bolt on stock you like (ACE, Tromix, RJF, etc). I have the ACE 7.5" stock with an MAA reciever block. By the time you add the folding mechanism and a 1" buttpad, you're back to the regular length. I also have a Tromix w/ Limbsaver pad. Very nice to tame recoil, though the squarness of the stock isn't quite as comfortable for a cheek weld. Not a major issue, but something I noticed. Also, if you're adding the folding mechanism, it tends to make the length of pull a bit longer than I like. Too bad Tromix doesn't offer slightly shorter stocks. That'd be awesome. The ACE folding mechanism can be set up to fold one way or the other.

Hope this helped.

• Like 1

AK100 is said to be tops. From pictures, it does seem very nice and classy, if expensive. I know member EVLBLKWPNZ is a big fan. Search for "EVLBLK box-o-parts".

That said, I went with the Bonesteel left side folding AR stock tube adapter and added a UTG milspec size tube for $20 and a Magpul CTR AR stock. I love mine! It was very easy to install with the existing screw holes and tang. However, I may need to remove a bit of material from the side of the stock where it contacts the optics rail when folded... This stock works very well and locks up very solidly. I also appreciate that the hinge is designed to wear in such a way as to never lose that tight lockup (because the locking faces are wedge-shaped).

*If you are interested in that UTG tube, PM me. I know where they can be ordered for $17 shipped.

Let us see what you end up with!

Keep in mind that the right side folders look good and with the stock folded on that side you can tuck the weapon closer to your body. BUT other than the polish style folder all of them block the safety and charging handle making operation a PITA! So for ease of operation that leaves you with a left side folder which covers the sight rail on that side. I built a left side folder for my MAK90 using a ACE type (non push button) folding mechanism and it locks up tight when extended and fairly solid when folded. I have read complaints that the push button type are not quite as solid but the other type is difficult to open ( i dont think it is that bad). I like the Bonesteel because it IS all one piece but it IS either left or right no changing it. The ACE style can be swithced and you have different options on stocks and reciever blocks (with or without the tang)

P.S. I HATED the shitty ATI stock I had on my MAK too!

Edited by misterT
  • Like 1

I think a 12ga shotgun should have either or metal or wood stock ,I don't think plastic or polymer belong on shotgun do to recoil specially folder.

I they were made Ar10-15 and M4 platform lot less recoil plastic is plastic it just doesn't live forever actually it should stay on airsoft guns.

I like my ace stock and folder all aluminum

Edited by bobabuee

I remember a photo on here of a weird stock that seemed interesting. It had a steel rod with a the butt pad at the end.... instead of folding you could collapse it, and the rod would run down either the left or right side of the weapon, till the butt pad was all the way against the rear of the weapon. It was odd looking, and I cant remember who made it...

Nordic Components collapsible stock. Available for AR or AK.

post-6253-0-54207000-1367422305_thumb.jpg

They've been discussed on here before, not sure if anyone has put one on an S12 yet.

I think a 12ga shotgun should have either or metal or wood stock ,I don't think plastic or polymer belong on shotgun do to recoil specially folder.

I they were made Ar10-15 and M4 platform lot less recoil plastic is plastic it just doesn't live forever actually it should stay on airsoft guns.

I like my ace stock and folder all aluminum

post-3938-0-77797400-1367443925_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nordic Components collapsible stock. Available for AR or AK.

attachicon.gifNC_AK47_Retrac_Stock_05.jpg

They've been discussed on here before, not sure if anyone has put one on an S12 yet.

Looks like it may interfere with a drum.

Neverhome

I love my own (Guide Comfortable Wood Goodness with a modern touch. - Tech Section - forum.Saiga-12.com)

I generally think most of the Ace and similar stocks are good. There are people who hate them. If I were buying one ready made I would be looking at a new style ace pushbutton hinge and a DPH. I liked the MAA stock design, but they haven't made that in a while.

Or I would get a bonesteel.

I would be happy with either.

AK100 is nice too, but is kinda too small at the back to spread out shogun force well IMO. It is made for little rifles. If It were $150, I'd call it a very good option, At about the cost of an S12 to buy the parts and get it installed, I don't. Honestly it is solid and has a nice latch, but it is still in the same league as options that cost a third. The bonesteel actually seems a bit cleaner and more rugged to me. And you have to choose between no recoil pad or finding one of the few mystical weird swoopy OEM pads in existence. You'll probably pay over a hundred dollars just to acquire a goofy looking pad. But if you gotta have "milspec" spend your money.

If I was going to spend absurd money just to have a folder that is more or less military issue, it would be the RPK folder and mech. Bob Ash's Saw folder is pretty cool too.

I think you would be happy with any of the above, but if I had to give you only one answer and know you wouldn't be frustrated with it, it would probably be the bonesteel folders. I haven't handled them personally though.

• Like 1

I have used the ace folder on an ak47 and saiga .308 and it's tops. It locks up great and is awesome. You can get a 1" recoil pad and fold either way. I would cut the tang for cleanliness. And Texas ak designs had a sell on the internal block for the ace style stocks for just 28 bucks shipped.