You say there is no real advantage, then in the next paragraph state one of the big advantages: it feeds properly in an AR, and even uses the same mags. The other ones are a slight ballistic advantage, and less cartridge weight, and ability to reload using more commonly available components a variety of projectile choices including a broader range of weight, with cast loads costing for 4-8 cents a round.

I said, "There's no real advantage to supersonic .300 blk loads compared to 7.62x39." Thought it was clear I was just speaking of ballistics with that statement.

I'll adjust it with saying there is a miniscule advantage to .300 blk if you handload.

Edited by Risky
No metal reinforcement, no want.

Cool to see another player in the game tho.

You know, I used to fully agree with this. I have plenty of steel 7.62x39 mags, and most of my 5.56 AK mags are steel-reinforced Beryls. BUT I bought some of the Tapco smooth-side mags as well as the Galil mags, and decided I was going to beat on them.

I'm not averse to doing my own version of the Arsenal drop-test if anyone is really interested. Arsenal had a vested interest in importing Bulgarian magazines - K-VAR and Arsenal are the same company, and at one point K-VAR had an exclusive import contract with the Circle-10 factory - so of course they would show their competitor's products as being crap.

Oh, and Poland also recently started replacing their older reinforced fiberglass 5.56 Beryl magazines with a blue/green composite clear magazine that has NO reinforcement. It apparently passed all of their military requirements in testing. This is one of the reasons why Beryl mags have been trickling into the US market in the last year or two. Poland, being part of ISAF, actually uses this shit in current wartime conditions.

For what it's worth, the Tapco mags survived being thrown and dropped multiple times while fully loaded, and run over while empty, which is hardest on them as they have no internal reinforcement provided by the loaded cartridges. Keep in mind that this sort of treatment can actually bend the steel reinforcements of other magazines, which can render them useless.

If you wanted to watch the video where I beat up on the Tapco mags, here it is. Sorry for rambling a lot, it was the first time I made a video.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

The reason I sayblackout is the only choice is because it actually feeds right from normal mags you can get any where. And ofcourse the x51 NATO shoots flater but that's not an ar15. And blackout actually does a bit better at 200+ yards because it has much better bullet coefficients. And dubya the magpul 6.8 mag is going to be for the special LWRC 6.8 AR that is going to have a slightly larger magwell so they won't fit a normal ar15 which goes to show you for the 6.8 to be optimal you need a bigger magwell than a normal ar15 offers.

I wouldn't worry a bit about there being no metal in the magpul ak mags. We all know or should know that plastic mags won't do well in drop tests. If you expect it to be just like a metal mag with machined feed lips and weighing twice as much I'm sure you'll be disappointed. I saw a drop test of ar15 mags and the lancer l5 did better than them all metal GI mags included. And it is a soft polymer mag that is flexible and it has metal feed lips. So maybe metal is good?

I do like the idea of them doing this, but I'll wait and see how they are in hand. I'm still going to stick to my surplus mags. They may make good range mags though. Glad to see them doing this regardless.

• Like 1
No metal reinforcement, no want.

Cool to see another player in the game tho.

[snip]

Oh, and Poland also recently started replacing their older reinforced fiberglass 5.56 Beryl magazines with a blue/green composite clear magazine that has NO reinforcement. It apparently passed all of their military requirements in testing. This is one of the reasons why Beryl mags have been trickling into the US market in the last year or two. Poland, being part of ISAF, actually uses this shit in current wartime conditions.

The Serbs aren't using metal reinforcements in their composite 5.56 mags, and I believe that the South Africans didn't/don't in their polymer R4 mags. Of course, it might be easier to do with 5.56 because the curvature isn't as pronounced.

...and yeah - I'd definitely love to see Magpul come out with 5.56 mags.

Here's a Polish Special Forces rifle in use in Afghanistan with said magazine.

polishsfak2mh3.jpg

• Like 1

Nice thing about this is they plan to add metal supports down the road, and this is going to push all the import magazine prices down more. Hopefully they will also do 5.45 later also. Competition is always good to keep prices low for us.

• Like 1