Machining NEF barrel

So in the course of all that is the life of a gun guy I have ended up owning a NEw England firearms recicver. No barrel no stock nothing but the recicver. So I found a barrel blank in the sportsman guide catalog and it's only 35 bucks. It's a .308 bore and either 16.25" or 18.5". I'm thinking of making a .300 blackout with a either a threaded barrel for the silencer I'll eventually buy or send in the paper work and do an intergal silenced rifle.

My question is, is there any way to find a blueprint of the barrel and how it mounts. I know the machinist that is going to help can do about anything he's an artist with metal. He makes a lot of medical and nuclear power stuff. So I have no doubt he can do it. Also I've seen a breakaction .410 that he made completely from reverse engineering from another breakaction and it's entirely stainless and brass for the small parts.

So two things if there is a way to get some blue prints of that part, since I don't have one to go by. Or can someone take detailed pic of that part so I can see how the ejector and stuff works.

I know about that but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking of doing a silenced integral barrel .300 blackout.

Hell I may just buy three of the barrel blanks. Once I get the first one done the mount block would be easy. And then I would just make the integral, a threaded blackout and threaded bull barrel .308. The blanks are just 35 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the lock up is going to be about the same. The measurements should determine headspace. I'm thinking once I get one done the others should be a piece of cake. The ejector will be a hard part. Proably the hardest. Ive got some much other stuff this will be down on the list. I mean the way the market is now I should be more worried about getting all my planned semiautos in the gun room and mags to feed then all.

So this project will be lower on my list right now.

• 4 weeks later...

My son has a NEF in .243 he won at a NWTF banquet. You can get a barrel to change calibers for less than $100 from NEF and send it in to them for fitting as they prefer that for liability purposes. Once fitted, you can have a stockpile of rifle and shotty uppers to swap out with. No need to try and fabricate barrels from blanks when they are pretty cheap from the factory.

100 is more than 30. im thinking of paying the 200 dollars and making an integral silenced 300 blackout, i may just do it as 308 win though since i reload and i can just load subs and if i wanted full powered ammo it would have a lot more power than blackout.

• 1 month later...