I need a replacement barrel ( and maybe a gasblock ) for my S12

Hello everyone . I'm new here and I need some help . I purchased a used Saiga 12 recentl.y , I ran 2 12 round mags of Winchester light stuff and not one ejected . But that's not the problem . I removed the gasblock and found the top pin ( the one in front of the gas ports ) was drilled at an angle and instead of having a notch on top of the barrel , there is a hole through the barrel into the bore . So I need a barrel possibly a gasblock and someone who can remove the bad barrel and install a replacement . Any ideas or help ? Thanks .

Any ideas or help ? Thanks .

I'd do whatever it takes to get my money back. Unless that is you are willing to spend the time and money fixing something that should have never been sold.

Edited: Yeah I know, it's not like you didn't think of that as well. I'm more curious to why it hasn't been returned?

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1
Hello everyone . I'm new here and I need some help . I purchased a used Saiga 12 recentl.y , I ran 2 12 round mags of Winchester light stuff and not one ejected . But that's not the problem . I removed the gasblock and found the top pin ( the one in front of the gas ports ) was drilled at an angle and instead of having a notch on top of the barrel , there is a hole through the barrel into the bore . So I need a barrel possibly a gasblock and someone who can remove the bad barrel and install a replacement . Any ideas or help ? Thanks .

Send it to Tom Cole at Cadiz Gunworks. He's located in Cadiz, Oh. Tom was the sole warranty provider for Saigas a few years back. Your gun isn't under warranty, but Tom should be able to fix it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info . I bought the gun used and there are no returns on used firearms where I bought it from . Unfortunately the only way to find this out was to take the gas block off ( or fire some slugs through it ----- na ) . I'll look into Cadiz Gunworks for sure . I also came across www.iccmfg.com --- they make 12" and 18" chromolly barrels for the Saiga 12 . I'm too far into this to give up on it . Again , thanks for the help, I appreciate it ! I'll let you know how this turns out !

Did you get it from a gun shop? I know how the return policies go, but in the interest of keeping your future business and not being known for selling unsafe firearms they might make and exception or help you out. No matter what, if it was from a gun shop I'd be there bitching like crazy.

How is it not possible to see that while inspecting a used gun before you buy it?? Didn't you look down the bore? That's insane, and even worse that the shop you bought it from won't make it right!.

So much fail going on here.amazing.gif

Thanks for the info . I bought the gun used and there are no returns on used firearms where I bought it from . Unfortunately the only way to find this out was to take the gas block off ( or fire some slugs through it ----- na ) . I'll look into Cadiz Gunworks for sure . I also came across www.iccmfg.com --- they make 12" and 18" chromolly barrels for the Saiga 12 . I'm too far into this to give up on it . Again , thanks for the help, I appreciate it ! I'll let you know how this turns out !

Go with a pro and let Tom do it. Cadiz is only a four hour drive for you per Google maps. More realistic is 3 1/4 hrs(yea I lived in Kentucky/Cincinnati area at one time).

There is only the bottom edge of the pin exposed in the barrel . With the gas block on I can't see the gas ports much less that pin when looking down the bore . Izhmash, RWC Group , the original seller , the original purchaser, the place I bought it from , and myself , we all missed it . You are correct , alot of fail going on . So the lesson here for me is to for now on is to assume that any firearm can have serious flaws , used or new . To assume that a new firearm is OK because it's new is foolish , the one I bought was new at one time , it was flawed from it's begining . I certainly took it back to where I got it from and contacted RWC , no luck with either . Lessons learned ! I'm looking forward to doing the conversion myself , I have all the parts , but I've got to get this barrel fixed first , then I can have some fun shooting this thing ! I really appreciate all the comments and help , thanks ! I'm going to get in touch with Cadiz in a little bit here , I''l let you know what happens .

There is only the bottom edge of the pin exposed in the barrel . With the gas block on I can't see the gas ports much less that pin when looking down the bore . Izhmash, RWC Group , the original seller , the original purchaser, the place I bought it from , and myself , we all missed it . You are correct , alot of fail going on . So the lesson here for me is to for now on is to assume that any firearm can have serious flaws , used or new . To assume that a new firearm is OK because it's new is foolish , the one I bought was new at one time , it was flawed from it's begining . I certainly took it back to where I got it from and contacted RWC , no luck with either . Lessons learned ! I'm looking forward to doing the conversion myself , I have all the parts , but I've got to get this barrel fixed first , then I can have some fun shooting this thing ! I really appreciate all the comments and help , thanks ! I'm going to get in touch with Cadiz in a little bit here , I''l let you know what happens .

So, you bought it used from a shop the way I read this?

That's not a common problem, but it does happen.

I have only seen it on 3 or 4 other guns since 2004. Rather than fix them, I simply swapped them out with other guns, and made the bad ones into 8" SBS'.

Tony

• Like 4

Yes I bought it used from a pawn - gun shop . They sell new and pre owned firearms . I bought a new Saiga 7.62 from them back in Feb . and they knew I was interested in a S12 and I happened to stop in the day they got it in . The rest is history . All I saw when I loooked down the barrel was a lot of dirt . Hey I've got alot to learn about this stuff . I think what I'm going to do for now is buy the chromolly 18" barrel from icc off of ebay . My idea for fixing the gasblock is to thread the hole by the detent pin and use a small screw to hold the detenet pin in , plug the hole on the other side which is lower , drill a hole on the bottom of the block on the oppisite side of the one that is already there , and use two pins on the bottom of the block to hold it on to the barrel instead of one on top and one on the bottom . An idea any way . I'm still checking into other ways , keep the suggestions coming in , they're very helpful . Thanks again !

Find someone who is planning on a SBS build and swap barrels with them.

I bet Tony is planning to build an SBS... Perhaps you could ask him to do a swap.

Or you could ask him or another competent smith to SBS yours... you would arlready be paying to press off the barrel anyway, may as well drop a stamp and a bit more.

Good advice! I bet someone has a gas block available from a parted out build as well. Put up a couple WTB/WTT adds and see what happens.

Good luck!

Sounds like his gas block is salvageable so swapping barrels IS good advice. I've seen people on this very forum work such a swap because someone jacked theirs up and the other individual planned on cutting that much off anyway. Edited by MT Predator
Sounds like his gas block is salvageable so swapping barrels iIS good advice. I've seen people on this very forum work such a swap because someone jacked theirs up and the other individual planned on cutting that much off anyway.

I already gave you a pat on the back. The hand job you just asked for is simply out of the question...

Sounds like his gas block is salvageable so swapping barrels iIS good advice. I've seen people on this very forum work such a swap because someone jacked theirs up and the other individual planned on cutting that much off anyway.

I already gave you a pat on the back. The hand job you just asked for is simply out of the question...

You sounded pretty sarcastic. Apologies if that wasn't the case. The pat on the back nor the hand job is required.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1