Has anyone heard the government has stopped allowing Saigas to be imported? A You Tube video I came across last night said all further importations are banned. I am wondering if they thought the Small Arms Treaty had passed which could have stopped the importing. Fortunately, it was vetoed by the Senate. A tough blow to Obama. What have you heard?

Neverhome

High Plains,

I went back through nine pages of videos but can't locate it. It may be old but it popped up when I typed in Saiga 12 on You Tube. The two doing the video were real space cadets. You'll know it if you see it.

Jetmech,

You missed the target on that one. I am about as far apart from Eric Holder as Obama is to Ronald Regan.beer.gif

• Like 1

It is a rework of ITAR. From what I understand if it goes through it would ban further importation of firearms,parts, and ammunition. Not to mention primers from Wolf, and powders from many manufactures. I knew ITAR would come back and bite us in the ass when it was passed. It opens a backdoor to a ban without congressional approval.

This is a re-post from another Forum by Hamash on the mater.

"A Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Final Rule published today in the Federal Register and a news release issued Friday by the Department of Health and Human Services, followed up with a notice to be published tomorrow, are two developments all but ignored by the mainstream press even though Vice President Joe Biden announced last week that the administration would be using executive orders to advance “gun control” goals following a Senate battle that could not muster the votes to do so legislatively.

The Importation of Defense Articles and Defense Services -- U.S. Munitions Import List references executive orders, amends ATF regulations and clarifies Attorney General authority “to designate defense articles and defense services as part of the statutory USML for purposes of permanent import controls,” among other clauses specified in heavy legalese requiring commensurate analysis to identify just what the administration’s intentions are. Among the speculations of what this could enable are concerns that importing and International Traffic in Arms Regulations may go forward to reflect key elements within the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty.

The clarification in deference to the Attorney General on ITAR matters makes fair the question of why Eric Holder, then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton the Department of Justice Office of Inspector General and Congressional overseers were conspicuously disinterested when export violations were pointed out as matters for Fast and Furious investigators to concern themselves with.

Meanwhile, the HHS news release pledged “Obama administration moves to remove barriers to firearm background check reporting,” by “initiat[ing] a rulemaking process to remove unnecessary legal barriers under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule that may prevent states from reporting to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).”

Recent allegations that medical records in New York State are being cross-referenced with gun owner handgun permit records may raise a flag of concern that this could be a first step toward setting up a national system, dependent only on a change in current prohibitions to allow records already being created to be consolidated, with the second step being the so-called “universal background check”

As the HHS Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is not scheduled for publication in the Federal Register until tomorrow, Gun Rights Examiner has uploaded a copy of the draft to its Scribd document archive website account.

“The ANPRM will be available for review at: http://www.federalregister.gov/,” the HHS presser informs, anticipating tomorrow’s official publication, and further advises “Comments can be submitted to http://www.regulations.gov/.”

A partical list of what Holder can decide on:

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/121-1-united...-list-19719536

Category I?Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns

* (a) Nonautomatic and semi-automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive (12.7 mm).

* (B) Fully automatic firearms to .50 caliber inclusive (12.7 mm).

* © Firearms or other weapons (e.g. insurgency-counterinsurgency, close assault weapons systems) having a special military application regardless of caliber.

* (d) Combat shotguns. This includes any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

* (e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

(f) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications (See category XII© for controls on night sighting devices.)

* (g) Barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames) or complete breech mechanisms for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this category.

(h) Components, parts, accessories and attachments for the articles in paragraphs (a) through (g) of this category.

Category III Ammunition/Ordnance

* (a) Ammunition/ordnance for the articles in Categories I and II of this section.

(B) Ammunition/ordnance handling equipment specifically designed or modified for the articles controlled in this category, such as, belting, linking, and de-linking equipment.

© Equipment and tooling specifically designed or modified for the production of defense articles controlled by this category.

(d) Components, parts, accessories, attachments and associated equipment specifically designed or modified for the articles in this category:

* (1) Guidance and control components for the articles in paragraph (a) of this category;

* (2) Safing, arming and fuzing components (including target detection and localization devices) for the articles in paragraph (a) of this category; and

(3) All other components, parts, accessories, attachments and associated equipment for the articles in paragraphs (a) through © of this category.

(f) The following explains and amplifies the terms used in this category and elsewhere in this subchapter:

(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.

(2) This category does not control cartridge and shell casings that, prior to export, have been rendered useless beyond the possibility of restoration for use as a cartridge or shell casing by means of heating, flame treatment, mangling, crushing, cutting or popping.

(3) Equipment and tooling in paragraph © of this category does not include equipment for hand-loading ammunition.

Not covered. This may make the Saiga in current sporting form legal to import.

This coverage by the U.S. Munitions List in paragraphs (a) through (i) of this category excludes any non-combat shotgun with a barrel length of 18 inches or longer, BB, pellet, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms. This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications. It also excludes accessories and attachments (e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips, cleaning kits) for firearms that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm, components and parts.

Here is what's on the powder list:

* (B) Propellants:

(1) Any United Nations (UN) Class 1.1 solid propellant with a theoretical specific impulse (under standard conditions) of more than 250 seconds for non-metallized, or 270 seconds for metallized compositions;

(2) Any UN Class 1.3 solid propellant with a theoretical specific impulse (under standard conditions) of more than 230 seconds for non-halogenized, or 250 seconds for non-metallized compositions;

(3) Propellants having a force constant of more than 1,200 kJ/Kg;

(4) Propellants that can sustain a steady-state burning rate more than 38mm/s under standard conditions (as measured in the form of an inhibited single strand) of 6.89 Mpa (68.9 bar) pressure and 294K (21 ?C);

(5) Elastomer modified cast double based propellants with extensibility at maximum stress greater than 5% at 233 K (?40 C);

(6) Any propellant containing substances listed in Category V;

(7) Any other propellant not elsewhere identified in this category specifically designed, modified, adapted, or configured (e.g., formulated) for military application.

Thank you Hamash, and Perotter over on castboolits for making this information available.

You've confirmed what I have read as well. It's all in the administrations hands. I fear some morning I am going to wake up and find out no more Saigas. Fortunately it's an executive order. What one President does today, the next can undo tomorrow.

What one President does today, the next can undo tomorrow.

How's that working out for the owners/manufacturers of the USAS-12, Striker-12, and Streetsweeper?

Next time I'll underline "can" just for you Netpackrat since you tend to misinterpret what I say.