Built to specs. or better, it does'nt matter who makes it. Remington is known for their firearms... Or is it razors? I'm confused :(

How about a shotgun that shoots razor-blades?

Edited by Sim_Player

Here's the list of companies who competed in the M4 bid process...

• Colt Defense
  • Sig Sauer
  • Manroy
  • Remington

Sig and Colt stand out as the top two but I don't own an M4. At $960 a pop is the Philippines government getting a good deal from Remington?

I'll bet there is some back door deal that helped them get your contract.

There domestic sells are bound to drop off and they will become the gun bitch

for the gov't.

I hope everyone across this country remembers this headline and never buys from them again

"Remington Opts to Stay in NY State After Securing $80M Government Contract"

as for this being good new for your soldiers, they will be ok , remington will sell functioning equipment.

Edited by read_the_wall
  • Colt Defense
  • Sig Sauer
  • Manroy
  • Remington

Sig and Colt stand out as the top two but I don't own an M4. At $960 a pop is the Philippines government getting a good deal from Remington?

We are told this was the lowest bid; followed by Colt.

for the gov't.

I hope everyone across this country remembers this headline and never buys from them again

as for this being good new for your soldiers, they will be ok , remington will sell functioning equipment.

Unfortunately there always have been back door deals in the past; I don't expect it to be any different this time around.

for the gov't.

I was done with them when this came out.

• Like 2
Good news would have been....'The Philippine Gov't has decided to wake up an old work horse for its primary rifle....the FAL'.

We still widely use the M-14; it is the preferred rifle of all our elite forces.

• Like 1

I understand the opposition to Remington based on their staying located in an anti-gun environment. I agree as far as my purchases go. However, if the question is do they make quality rifles, the answer is definiately affirmative. I have seen & shot their version of the M-4 and it was very well made.

At this point I'm so mad, I wouldn't buy a used Remington.

Maybe in time they will redeem themselves as Ruger has...

That'd take a free gun or a few thousand rounds of various calibers to please me lol

Remington M4's. booo.gif The Philippine SOCOM just received these which I would take over anything Rem. makes.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq179685-after-long-wait-they-finally-arrived-3.html

Link no workee for me.

I agree... No Remingtons for me. Too bad as there were a couple I was looking at before they decided to stay. For some, it's about the dollar only. Gun owners are hard headed pricks. Which means, they had better hope they keep that contract.

I understand the opposition to Remington based on their staying located in an anti-gun environment. I agree as far as my purchases go. However, if the question is do they make quality rifles, the answer is definiately affirmative. I have seen & shot their version of the M-4 and it was very well made.

Actually I dont care where they stay. I'll consider them when they start to build real M4s. Untill then I'll stick to the TDP

Edited by Arik

Actually I dont care where they stay. I'll consider them when they start to build real M4s. Untill then I'll stick to the TDP

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/

Apparently the Remington Arms Company is using Colt's Technical Data Package (TDP). The Department of the Army just bought 24,000 Remington M4A1's. Like I said, the company produces quality firearms and that was the orginal question. Thanks for your input Arik..

Edited by 1911
  • 4 weeks later...

We gave a presentation on our TR15 for this project and could not have done a true M4 for $960, that is just the way things are. We could not qualify for the bid because we have never done 25K pieces in on order to a single customer. We even began negotiations with Armalite to do a joint venture on this bid and even Armalite could not come close to a single order of 25K to a single customer. I am surprised what order Remington used to qualify as "similar product". I have never heard of Remington as a military contract to the US or any other country, but, Remington does not clear everything with me either.

There is a rumor that Colt is appealing the decision on this bid as they failed to qualify over a technicality, being the rumor. I think this is all pretty funny as I will be surprised that any of these manufacturers are capable of getting the material to even make the order, we had to buy a foundry just to supply US civilian sales. We are also the only manufacturer with a lifetime warranty and sub MOA guarantee; However, I have seen the Chinese Colt knock offs stretched for decades in the Philippines, so, I guess they can get their monies worth out of the Remingtons. I have only held them and never fired a Remington R15; But, it seems to be a nice piece all the same.

After the PNP rifle scandal, I doubt you have to worry about corruption being in play with government procurement. I never even considered Remington to be in the race, they make good products and won this fair and square. It is not their fault that DND procurement laws limit real competition and ultimately, the government screws itself. I think the money is going to be in private security companies in the Philippines and arms production would be very profitable here for export. We have been here "sleeping" and learning, When we do step out, it will be raising the bar in SE Asia.

• Colt Defense
  • Sig Sauer
  • Manroy
  • Remington

Mistake IMO. I won't touch Anything Remington makes for multiple reasons and definitely wouldn't chose them over Colt or Sig. I have a Colt M4 (obviously without FA sear) and after shooting it, its my favorite AR I've shot or owned between about 8 different AR's. And the Sig M400 is their version of the M4 and from everything I read they're as good or better than the Colt

I think I would have paid a little more and went with a company known to make good M4's. Hope they don't send a bunch of R-15's over there lol

• Colt Defense
  • Sig Sauer
  • Manroy
  • Remington

Mistake IMO. I won't touch Anything Remington makes for multiple reasons and definitely wouldn't chose them over Colt or Sig. I have a Colt M4 (obviously without FA sear) and after shooting it, its my favorite AR I've shot or owned between about 8 different AR's. And the Sig M400 is their version of the M4 and from everything I read they're as good or better than the Colt

I think I would have paid a little more and went with a company known to make good M4's. Hope they don't send a bunch of R-15's over there lol

Based on what reason do you think a militarized version of the R15 is not as good as other offerings? Most people have never heard of THOR, but, what is your written warranty with Colt and do they guarantee sub MOA? I have owned Colt ARs and it is a good rifle. We actually BASED our TR15 from the packaging out to resemble what someone familiar with Colt would be used to; However, we made improvements to make it more accurate and we get our smaller parts from the same supplier as Colt. I am sure most people will tell you they had rather have a Colt, as their is comfort in the name. @$1250 retail on our TR15, it is in the same ball park. One of our best advantages is that being so much smaller, we are able to hand fit and prove each rifle with 10 rounds before it ever leaves our shop. Every bidder had to show proof of a single order of 25K units or similar product to qualify. I do not know what Remington qualified with. Maybe a distributor like RSR made that large of a purchase or Remington is supplying the military with parts? We did not have it and neither did Armalite. I stood to make a huge commission if we had nailed it. That is how the cookie crumbles. I am not sure if the R15 sample has passed the qualification tests and Colt is appealing the contract award is the word on the street here. It might be true and it might not. I was told at first that Bushmaster got it. That was not true.

My prejudice against Colt is the sweetheart deals they cut with the Clinton administration and then turned on the civilian market. Based on that alone, I wanted Colt to hurt, their local rep (every foreign company by law has to have a local national as a representative for government procurement) was reported to be very close to the Philippine president and given the blow up over questionable practices back in October with the 2500 M4s for the Philippine National Police, if their rep was close to the president, I would think that would hurt them on appearance alone. We expected Colt to bid to the max alone and rely on their name. We hoped that based on our rifle alone at a better price and the only manufacturer capable of delivering all units in under a year, we had a better than fair shot; But, our collective orders was not going to qualify us. That seems to not make sense, but, that is the nature of government sales.

Remington qualified and came in at a lower bid. Remington is known for quality and not known for junk. I have NO idea who Manroy is and I think the world of Sig. I can not bag too much on Colts rifles, it is past policies that leave me with a grudge. Rifle vs Rifle, no other company has our warranty to include accuracy. We do not have their single order volume. Sometimes life just is not fair. Congratulations Remington, well done!

I don't care if the rifles are made of gold. They are a sleazy company in bed with a sleazy gov't.

I hope I live long enough to see a new political movement in this country that will include Remington in the big flush......anger.gif

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/remington-opts-stay-ny-state-after-securing-80m-govt-contract

If your TR15 sells to civilians for $1250 and Colts LE6920 M4 sells for $1050 I'm wondering how your bid would be cheaper than Colt's when you sell to civis for $200 more. I disagree, Remington WAS known for quality but just like you say Colt is a comfort brand, Remington is as well, only to a much larger audience. How many guys dads and grandfather's used a Remington throughout their lives? A lot more than Colt. I used to own a R15 and still own a 6920, Remington black rifles are not on the same level, especially when you throw Sig in the mix.

BTW, now you have me curious. What is the Thor TR15 and what makes it better than the Colt? I might try one out, always like to try new toys!

ETA: also, who the hell buys a Colt AR for a sub MOA gun? When I buy a Colt, or a AR of any brand, a sub MOA guarantee isn't on the list of things I look for in that gun. If I want sub MOA I'll buy a Cooper or Sako, not a semi auto military born rifle. Heck I'd build an AR and use high end parts (like I did with my 6.8) but I'm guessing 95% of AR buyers don't have sub MOA at the top of their want list when shopping for one. Most will shoot near MOA anyway and let's face it, half of the gun owners can't shoot 50% as well as their rifle anyway. I just feel that's a stupid argument. People who buy a Colt AR (or most AR's for that matter) ate going to buy it weather or not it is guaranteed to shoot 1" @ 100 yards or not.

Edited by dubya

Because it does the same thing every time, that is what makes it better than the Colt and I am the technician who is backing that to include sub MOA results in my territory. It ain't no big deal. The PNP can adjust qualification standards for the good of the contract. and we will outperform every competitor. We will not win the contract, but, we will win the testing to spec and delivery. It will be bragging rights from here on out and we will beat them every time. All of them.

• Like 1