Found Some Norinco Steel Core at Gun Show Today

I think I use to get Norinco years ago in .223 for my Mini14. I just remember the cheesy yellow boxes but don’t remember any issues with it. Just did a quick search and came up with these two links…

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?162620-Norinco-yellowbox-7-62x39-steel-core-ammo

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?288858-Norinco-7-62x39-Ammo-Buy-or-not-to-buy

It's fine ammo, and highly sought by collectors since it is unimportable. Legally, it is armor-piercing pistol ammunition. In reality, the mild steel core just made it cheaper and easier to manufacture, not any better at punching holes in things.

• Like 1

It has the same bi-metal jacket as the Russian stuff, just on a steel core like the x54R surplus. The whole "armor piercing" bullshit was brought to you by the same Brady Dickheads who labeled Black Talons "cop killers".

• Like 1

It's more like collector ammo. Because you can't get anymore of it, people collect it but never shoot it. Then when ammo prices sore through the roof, like stocks on wall street, a bunch of it shows up for sale again.

It's alright to shoot. It has a mild steel core, not like it's a problem for modern body armor anyway, more like a political stunt to ban it.

Today at a gun show I found some norinco steel core ammo for cheap. Is this stuff worse on your barrel than the tula or wolf ammo?

Do NOT mention steel core around here! That stuff is armor piercing and makes us all look bad!

Isn't that pretty close to what you told me a few months ago when I asked about steel core?

Dubs I think your sarcasm went over his head and he appeared to be mocking your Asian herratige.

You mean my Jiggaboo + Russian heritage? I am Spetnaz! Don't fuck wit me!!

I think stantheman is a member here but not SS. And I think I know who.

• 2 weeks later...

Do ya now? You never wanted to leave in the first place because you finally felt accepted somewhere but couldn't keep your trap shut and got banned what? 3 times ? Or was it 4?

Do ya now? You never wanted to leave in the first place because you finally felt accepted somewhere but couldn't keep your trap shut and got banned what? 3 times ? Or was it 4?

Listen idiot, for the last time I have never been banned from here this is the FIRST TIME I've been here. You are very immature. I've been watching from a distance lately and noticed you guys rail roadin' a couple new guys thinking that they are SS man or super man or what ever. Knock it off and get a life dude, you must have been brought up by a drunk dad and a mean step mom who beat you all the time and now you have this inferiority complex or something?

The Norinco ammo is pretty accurate and the stuff I have is corrosive. But I shoot a lot of corrosive anyway so that part doesn't matter.

It is no harder on your rifle that any other ammo since the steel plug is covered in a lead cushion.

Edited by kayzap

I bought some Chinese steel core stuff for my Norinco SKS and found it wasn't as accurate as the cheap non corrosive Tula. And the Tula is not my favorite. May just be my SKS, but the rest of the cheap Russian stuff seems much better for me.

I have some chinese steel core. What's the factory and date stamp?

It's decent ammo, a local older guy gave two of my buddies NIB norinco SKS' for their birthdays years ago, he had cases of the stuff and I bought some off of him. Shoots fine, nothing really "special" about it other than the fact it's impossible to find now. The steel core and copper washing has more to do with producing cheap ammo than "armor piercing" abilities.

• Like 1