Care to look over my build and maybe help answer 1 question(can I fill

Hi all! Long time member, long time lurker but first time poster! Thank you for all of the help and info I have found on this site, it’s the best out there! (I'll be making a donation after I finish posting this!)

I've finally picked up a S12 and am about to start my modifications. I lucked out and my gas ports are all good enough. I haven’t had many feed or ejection issues(even without a upgraded puc, or a tac 47 auto plug). That being said I have a few questions that I wasn't able to find via search(maybe I didn't know exactly what to search for) I'm 922r clear also.

#1 Can I fill in and paint over the marks on the frame? Obviously I need the serial number…but what about the manufacture and import co? See pics with the things in red circled. This is really my only question..for now!

After finding the correct search terms I have found my answer here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/65885-import-stamp-removal/page__p__635370__hl__+removing%20+markings__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=635370

20130505_104715.jpg
20130505_104810.jpg
20130505_104815.jpg

#2 Do you see any problems with what I am about to buy? Suggestions for better/different parts?

Internals:

CSS modified fire control group

CSS bolt hold open lever kit
Tromix trigger guard

Ram s12xc extended magazine release

Just for looks bling bling(this is very subjective to taste preferences!) :

Chaos titan quad rail w/ HK sights OR Chaos extended rail with HK sights (still in the air on this one) on hold with the rail for now...

Chaos warthog door breach

Tromix charge handle extended bolt on

Magpul angled forgrip, <- this is going on a different gun, and I'll be ordering some other type of "stick" grip as I call them.

ATI strike force pistol grip and butt stock http://www.atigunstocks.com/saiga-tactical-stocks/448-saiga-strikeforce-six-position-stock.html I wish I had lurked more, or even done a search on this. I felt some of you might have come through my screen and slapped me if you could, and I wish you would have!

Other stuff I'll buy if I start having issues(if I don't drill out ports):

Tac 47 Auto Plug

Puc from someone in the US

JTE Guide Rod

Planned build:

Smooth out/Polish bolt while I wait for all my parts to arrive.

Dissemble gun , drill out all holes that need drilling

Duracoat

Reassemble

Go shoot stuff!

Mags:

I have MD20s and AGP 10s :)

I am going for a home defense/SHTF shot gun, that I can also have some fun trap or skeet shooting from time to time.

Edited by fizler

if you are right hand shooter and have large hand and fingers like me, you will have to trim css bho sticks little farther than stock one but easy fix with dremel and a grind bit,

chaos titian extended is awesome product same one on my gun, i opted to go with kock off mag puls hk sights off ebay $22.00 because its shotgun,$80 bucks can be better spent elsewere IMO.

pistol grip for fore grip because chaos quad rail makes front of gun heavy I chose mako it has nice feel I wish ati had one like scorpion grip,

but they don't. IMO

ati grip is awesome you will like .but side folding stock is pos the hinge is plastic and wares out that being said if like looks of it I go with ace folding hinge, and then

a tactical stock but on shotugun with recoil plastic hinge does not live.

Edited by bobabuee
if you are right hand shooter and have large hand and fingers like me, you will have to trim css bho sticks little farther than stock one but easy fix with dremel and a grind bit,

chaos titian extended is awesome product same one on my gun, i opted to go with kock off mag puls hk sights off ebay $22.00 because its shotgun,$80 bucks can be better spent elsewere IMO.

pistol grip for fore grip because chaos quad rail makes front of gun heavy I chose mako it has nice feel I wish ati had one like scorpion grip,

but they don't. IMO

ati grip is awesome you will like .but side folding stock is pos the hinge is plastic and wares out that being said if like looks of it I go with ace folding hinge, and then

a tactical stock but on shotugun with recoil plastic hinge does not live.

Thanks for the tips, I am looking on ebay now! Maybe I'll save some loot! I was going to get the ace stock, but at 2am in the morning after drooling over gun stuff all day, I just broke down and bought it.. maybe I can return it.

Other than the serial number, you can do what you want with the markings.

I think you made good choices other than the ATI stock, those are garbage.

Cool deal. Do you know what I should fill it with by chance?

I know I messed up with the ATI stock.. sad.png Maybe I can use it on my saiga .223 though! I wanted an adjustable butt pad and the folding ability. Nice website btw, I didn't see it before somehow when I was searching around for products.. if only http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-Galil-style-stock-AKFSGL.htm this was adjustable!

Edited by fizler

i have the extended mag release and the auto plug on mine, you'll love them.

what color were you thinking of painting your gun? i did mine two tone, OD Green and Black.

Other than the serial number, you can do what you want with the markings.

I think you made good choices other than the ATI stock, those are garbage.

Cool deal. Do you know what I should fill it with by chance?

I know I messed up with the ATI stock.. sad.png Maybe I can use it on my saiga .223 though! I wanted an adjustable butt pad and the folding ability. Nice website btw, I didn't see it before somehow when I was searching around for products.. if only http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-Galil-style-stock-AKFSGL.htm this was adjustable!

I suggest automotive 2k primer surfacer for filling in the extraneous markings, works great.

Our galil style stocks are not adjustable but our m4 stocks are. If you really want folding and adjustable you can't go wrong with this

http://bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-stock-with-integral-M4-collapsable-stock-akfs-tb.htm

I would second the vote against ATI stock. If you want a folder, look into an ACE block type hinge with internal stock adapter and something like the dph stock, or something that bonesteel sells. Few people are happy with any of the plastic folders, with the possible exception of the one AGP makes.

Also, if you had lurked and read a bit longer, you might have noticed the overwhelming volume of threads warning new guys that want to think changing your gas plug helps adjust guns that cycle well. It does not and can not ever solve a cycling problem. If your gun has cycling problems, you will need to address the balance between work the bolt does (friction+ pushing things around) and gas flow. This is easy and nearly free. The cases where a booster puck makes enough of a difference to solve the problems are fairly rare. The cases where people buy a puck and do not solve problems are incredibly common.

The extended release is a good idea.

Quad rails add a lot of cost and weight. The titan is a good one, and if I had it I would absolutely get an AFG. For my 2 cents, spend that titan money on magazines from either SGM or agp and an MD drum/ or magwell and SGM mags. Use the gun a while and if you still want the quad then get it. I am in favor of only sticking rails where you want to mount things. They add weight and bulk and are not very comfortable to hold. A shotgun is supposed to be light and maneuverable.

Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a lot of fun.

Fizler: I have to hand it to you. I appreciate the depth of research you've done. You seem to have a handle on your situation. I hope new members take heed and learn to follow your example. There's never a wrong question to ask but it seems like all of them have been asked before. With a little time lurking around and some effort searching past threads new members should be able to answer their own initial questions. You've proved that point so thank you!

One suggtion I have would be not to get the mapgul AFG and go with the Zahal PTK with the VTS thumb tab. Read this post for more information.

Keep us posted on your build. Members usually drop off the radar and come back when the build is done. I suggest giving us updates in this thread through the whole process. It'll help new members.

Good luck and enjoy! It's a fun process...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
i have the extended mag release and the auto plug on mine, you'll love them.

what color were you thinking of painting your gun? i did mine two tone, OD Green and Black.

I also was thinking of doing the OD green and Black. Great minds think alike!

I suggest automotive 2k primer surfacer for filling in the extraneous markings, works great.

Our galil style stocks are not adjustable but our m4 stocks are. If you really want folding and adjustable you can't go wrong with this

http://bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-stock-with-integral-M4-collapsable-stock-akfs-tb.htm

Thanks! The ATI stock is not going to be used on this build anymore. I think I am going to go with an ace folding. I will certainly keep you in mind when I am buying something down the road. Thank you again for your input!

I would second the vote against ATI stock. If you want a folder, look into an ACE block type hinge with internal stock adapter and something like the dph stock, or something that bonesteel sells. Few people are happy with any of the plastic folders, with the possible exception of the one AGP makes.

Also, if you had lurked and read a bit longer, you might have noticed the overwhelming volume of threads warning new guys that want to think changing your gas plug helps adjust guns that cycle well. It does not and can not ever solve a cycling problem. If your gun has cycling problems, you will need to address the balance between work the bolt does (friction+ pushing things around) and gas flow. This is easy and nearly free. The cases where a booster puck makes enough of a difference to solve the problems are fairly rare. The cases where people buy a puck and do not solve problems are incredibly common.

The extended release is a good idea.

Quad rails add a lot of cost and weight. The titan is a good one, and if I had it I would absolutely get an AFG. For my 2 cents, spend that titan money on magazines from either SGM or agp and an MD drum/ or magwell and SGM mags. Use the gun a while and if you still want the quad then get it. I am in favor of only sticking rails where you want to mount things. They add weight and bulk and are not very comfortable to hold. A shotgun is supposed to be light and maneuverable.

Welcome to the forum. You are going to have a lot of fun.

Thanks Gunfun, I have seen your profile picture all over these forums with valuable information added in many threads! This is why I haven't ordered anything yet...minus the epic failure ATI stock sad.png I love the look of the chaos rail, that's why I wanted it. I have MD drums and AGP mags!

Fizler: I have to hand it to you. I appreciate the depth of research you've done. You seem to have a handle on your situation. I hope new members take heed and learn to follow your example. There's never a wrong question to ask but it seems like all of them have been asked before. With a little time lurking around and some effort searching past threads new members should be able to answer their own initial questions. You've proved that point so thank you!

One suggtion I have would be not to get the mapgul AFG and go with the Zahal PTK with the VTS thumb tab. Read this post for more information.

Keep us posted on your build. Members usually drop off the radar and come back when the build is done. I suggest giving us updates in this thread through the whole process. It'll help new members.

Good luck and enjoy! It's a fun process...

Thank you! I try and do my research before I do anything. I surely wasn't going to ask the same 10 questions everyone else asks. I've got a huge folder full of saved threads and videos with all the info I need(hopefully!)

I already have the magpul AFG, but based on yours and others input, it will be going on a rifle. I was trying to be different smile.png I'll take a look at those

I'm really excited about my build, I might even document it with pictures and post up a "fizlers saiga build and what the hell I learned alone the way" .I don't think I will disappear from this forum anytime soon. I really enjoy learning about how to tweak this gun!

Now it's off to enjoy some cinco demeyo fun with my lovely girlfriend, who will be very upset to know I did nothing but shop for gun parts and read a forum all day!

Edited by fizler

Looks is a valid reason too. I agree that it looks awesome, but I have found I can mount every accessory I would want and keep my guns at around 7.5 lbs (One of them has the extra weight of a 16oz mercury tube, an Ace hinge, home made ace adapter block and magwell, and solid aluminum grip so it is pushing 9lbs.) With the titan and a simple folder, you should be in similar weight range if you don't hang a bunch of useless junk on there.

If you are infatuated with the Titan, you will be pleased with it. I don't think I would consider buying any other brand of rail system for the S12. Their products are much lighter than most competitors while being simultaneusly better built. Chaos sights are very nice too.