Engineers in here? Need help w/ ballistics formula

Any mechies/physicists/ballistics-gurus feel like hooking another mechie up? Here's the deal...

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=32939

I'm making a MATLAB program to run the above formulas, and so far it's dandy except I have no idea what R1 (range other than that which the rifle is zeroed at), and it's required to find the final trajectory. Anyone have any idea what that is and how to calculate it? As far as I can tell it's a variable whereas R0 is a constant, Making EL0 constant for all ranges while EL1 changes. I've tried every possible derivation possible for a relation between R and R0 to obtainR1, but it seems completely random. Here's my code if anyone feels like screwing around with it. In this case it's a .22LR Remington Golden Bullet:

c1 = 0.1384; % ballistic coefficient of bullet
mv = 1255; % velocity at muzzle
hs = 1.5; % sight line of bore axis in inches
r = input('Enter range from target--> ') % range actually fired from
r0 = 50; % range at which rifle is zeroed
r1 = ?????
RV = (sqrt(mv) - ((0.00863*r)/(c1)))^2; % remaining velocity
K = (2.878)/(c1*sqrt(mv)); % simplifying variable
TF = (3*r)/(mv*(1 - 0.003*r*k)); % time of flight
F = 193*(1 - ((0.37)*(mv - rv))/(mv)); % simplifying variable
DR = F*(TF^2); % bullet drop
MH = (48.6*TF) - (0.4*HS); % heigh of trajectory over sight line
EL0 = (100*(DR + HS))/(r0); % required elevation for r0 (MOA)
EL1 = (100*(DR + HS))/(r1); % required elevation for r1 (MOA)
BP = ((EL0 - EL1)*r1) / 100 % calculated trajectory
At 10-100yds in increments of 10 yards when zeroed at 50yds, BP should be the following:
-0.7in -0.14in 0.18in 0.23in 0.00in -0.49in -1.24in -2.34in -3.8in -5.5in
I realize that this is a pain in the neck, so thanks in advance for any help.

Dude, I haven't worked vectors in over 25 years. But since the boy is entering high school this year, I guess I better brush up. Of course, you got a hell of a lot more variables going than just your standard distance, velocity, weight, gravity, windage....

I'm doing this for a lab project for an engineering statistics class at my college, so I need to show how I obtained everything 010.gif

Good news is, I found a better formula that makes EL0 and EL1 obsolete, so for those interested:

Bullet path = (DR - hs) + (r/r0)*(hs + yz), where all variables are the same as before and yz is the drop at the range zeroed (which in my case is -3.1094). Positive values are above the line of sight and negatives are below.

Edited by W8lifter

I don't think you will find your answer as R1 is supposed to be an input. What I don't understand is the difference between R and R1. They both appear to be used as a distance variable.

Also, there must be some approximation going on. The only equation which R1 shows up is in the bullet path. It takes a elevation in minutes of angle times a distance in yards and divides by 100 for a distance in inches? At first I thought R1 might equal R, but in different units.

Oh my God. That makes my head hurt. Holy unnecessary magic coefficients and variables, Batman.

See, this is the problem with throwing magic formulas out there, and not TEACHING. I've got some engineering

degrees, I've even taught ballistics, and that shit is crazy. It takes me 30 seconds to even figure out what they

are trying to say.

I'll work on this more a little later on, but, to answer the original question, that last equation is this:

BP= ((EL0-EL1)R1)/100

What that IS, in English, is the amount of drop is equal to the MOA difference, times the range at which you are shooting,

divided by 100. The 100 is there to simply drop your yardage down to a multiple.

This means that, at 200 yards, if you need 4 more MOA, your drop is 8 inches more. It's a retardedly overcomplicated way of doing it.

Ideally, you'd have separate equations, and end up with Drop = DeltaMOA*YardageMultiplier, where you'd define the deltaMOA

and the yardagemult, eslewhere.

• Like 1
I think it is a variable in the formula to plot the drop on a graph, R1 is a value that is compared to (R or range zero)

That makes sense. This would plot an exponential curve of the drop over range.

Duh... I posted a pic of the exponential curves for the dumbasses on the forum.

• Like 1
I think it is a variable in the formula to plot the drop on a graph, R1 is a value that is compared to (R or range zero)

That makes sense. This would plot an exponential curve of the drop over range.

Duh... I posted a pic of the exponential curves for the dumbasses on the forum.

Yes you did, Professor.