Shortening Barrel & Re-Threading

Anyone messed around with shortening the barrells on these MKAs yet? I just ordered my first one from Tooth & Nail. I am already contemplating on cutting the barrell down to 18" and either internally threading for chokes like stock or externally threading like the saiga 12s. For that matter one could even go shorter than 18" and permanently attach a brake for an OAL of 18".

I am just curious how these guns react to shorter barrels? Is it just like the saiga 12s where gas system mods will need to be made for 100% reliability?

Since these guns are based on the Remington 1100 gas system they require that same long dwell time to function properly. If you cut the barrel back you'll shorten the dwell time substantially, and the gas system doesn't lend itself to much modification to compensate. Even our high-energy operating system has issues with short barrels. There was a company, their name escapes me at the moment, that cut a few barrels back and welded brakes on them but they didn't have much luck getting them to run properly without shooting ultra high-power loads.

Regarding MKA SBS', the barrel is only 21mm in diameter at the 12" - 14" point, so you can't thread it M22 x .75 for Saiga muzzle attachments. It needs to be turned down to 19 or 20mm first, then sleeved, and rethreaded to get it to work with 22mm muzzle devices.

Tony

• Like 1

I used a new pipe cutting tool, measured using a dowel down the barrel resting against the bolt at 18 1/4". I crowned the barrel manually and used a bluing pen to seal the cut. I secured the muzzle break using green "bearing" loctite.

Edited by UALJEFF
  • Like 1

Since these guns are based on the Remington 1100 gas system they require that same long dwell time to function properly. If you cut the barrel back you'll shorten the dwell time substantially, and the gas system doesn't lend itself to much modification to compensate. Even our high-energy operating system has issues with short barrels. There was a company, their name escapes me at the moment, that cut a few barrels back and welded brakes on them but they didn't have much luck getting them to run properly without shooting ultra high-power loads.

I found some info with Google on modded MKA barrels:

Gabe Suarez's TSD modded some MKA-1919's for a while when they first came out.

http://tsdcombatsystems.pwmclients.com/combat-shotguns/

Does anyone here have one?

• 2 weeks later...

I shortened mine to 18.25" crowned it and installed a slide-on breecher with Locktite. No problems at all and I'm still getting 3" groups at 100yds with Brenneke Black Magic slugs.

gallery_42092_1098_70676.jpggallery_42092_1098_58532.jpg

Edited by HDDP
  • 7 months later...