Saiga12 did work perfect BEFORE autogasplug

Hi, new to forums but love love my saiga 12 and the community is great.

Here is my problem.

I got my saiga 12 , it is broken in well, did fire , eject and load anything that I fed it. Cheap Walmart birdshot no problem.

NOW

Put the kick light stock on and the autoplug gas plug. Now my gun will not eject or cycle ANYTHING. I've watched vids online on how to tune the plug and it did nothing.

Any thoughts? Defective plug? Would that recoil reducing kick light stock mess with the cycle function of the gun?

It's an unconverted gun that worked perfect, now I dumped several hundred into it for rail system, autoplug and stock and it is a FAIL! I got ally parts from Mississippi auto arms, reputable sight and great service.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome. Guns clean, gas tune is clean, all the obvious stuff is checked. I'm stumped. Did Obama somehow sabatoge my gun while I was asleep one night?

Thanks in advance

Damn that Obama. He snuck in and tinkered with it. haha.gif

I'm not familar with the kick light stock, but if it has a recoil absorbing shock, I suppose it's POSSIBLE that it might be robbing the action of a solid platform upon which to cycle. Kinda like "limp wristing" a semi handgun. That'd require the stock to really move a lot, or the shotgun to have been barely working, IMO. If you put the factory plug back in, and it's still not working right, it's probably the stock. Obviously, then replace the stock with a factory one and make sure it's working correctly then. If that's what it was, I'd suggest a non-recoil reducing stock.

Also make sure your Autoplug ports are in the ten and two position.

IF your plug is not in the detent it will cut your gas off. Understanding the mechanics of your weapon is the first step towards understanding what parts do what to it and why.

• Like 1

Wouldnt be suprised if that stock is the problem. Honestly it needs something to hit off on recoil.. almost like firing limp wrist. I had issues with me hipfiring the gun and then against my shoulder. Start off with one thing at a time and find the source of the problem. Im betting you had just the right amount of gas for it to operate smoothly until you take away from the recoil with the stock. Good luck and if you need to sale your "broken" saiga ill buy it for a good price lol

• Like 1

Mine has a similar problem with the autoplug (no cycle birdshot), however it would cycle old 2 3/4" magnum and slug rounds one handed from the hip. On those, the recoil was bad enough to crack the grip. The Kicklite stock has not been a problem on heavy rounds. Mine's a factory 4 hole CAI conversion.

On mine, I did find that the ejector was rubbing hard on the carrier, and once the carrier slot was widened, there was no friction between the hammer overtravel point and extractor ramp point. I also polished the whole length of the hammer, as I noted that the carrier rubs on other parts that weren't polished the first time. Again, it lead to a noticeable reduction in friction of the action.

I'm not going to port unless that is the only option left.

Need to test again. This time I'm taking both plugs along

Good luck with your's!

Stocks and limpwristing can contribute, BUT I will always contend that an S12 is not properly tuned until it will reliably fire suitable ammunition however badly it is held.

His gun should run everything it ran before with the autoplug properly tuned and installed. While I would like to know the parts and ammo, if it ran it before with the same combo of parts, it should run it after. The autoplug is only one variable. If everything is as he said, the problem must be with the autoplug or its installation.

If he has bottomed out the plug's adjustment, it is indexed properly and screwed in all the way, that makes me suspect that the poppet spring in the autoplug is weak or there is something interfering with the poppet's seal, such as a milling burr or debris. I'd take that sucker apart and look for problems. Then put it back together and bottom out the set screw. If it runs, back it out until it quits running, then tune as normal.

Not all saiga 12's will need an aftermarket gas regulator (while it may make it look cooler as well). If it was already running Wally World bulk then stick to the stock regulator. Your kick lite stock is the culprit, robbing bolt cycling energy (requiring more gas in your system), so I would stay away from that stock. Since you aren't shooting too much 3 inch shells or buckshot, this will be a good decision.

If you are dead set on using the auto plug, first tune it with the regular stock on it. Always remember to should your weapon firmly for proper cycling.

If you are dead set on using the auto plug and kick light permanently in conjunction with each other, follow the step above and then put the kick lite on and allow more gas from the auto plug into the system a quarter turn at a time. Bring the flat head with you to the testing range.

I highly do not recommend any recoil reduction system with the saiga 12 as it will require more gas in your system. Just use a buttpad on another stock.

Kctslc, you quickly mentioned "rail system". Which system? There is one that is known to stop an S12 in it tracks.

I think it's not so much the Autoplug, but a combination of the rail system and the kicklite stock. Leave the autoplug in and try it with the factory stock and hand gaurd. One step at a time.

• Like 1

Could a possible solution be that the inlet on the Autoplug could be blocking a small amount of the gas ports? My example would be that if the threading on his S12 allowed his Autoplug to bottom-out slightly farther in than it should (while still meeting the 10:00/2:00 requirement) could one full rotation outward possibly free up any choked ports?

I'm curious if this could be happening with mine. I have the exact same situation with my S12. It would run very well on the stock plug, however when I switched to the V-Plug, it seemed to not want to function nearly as well until I backed it out one set more from what should have been it's correct installation (bottomed out, backed off to next full tuning set).

Then, for fear of forgetting to manually tune the V-Plug, I purchased the Autoplug and am experiencing the same thing as OP. Federal bulk will cycle if I'm in a full stance behind the gun, but not from non-traditional grips/stances. I'm with GunFun in that to test maximum reliability it should be able to be fired from the hip, or non-traditional grips/stances.

Could backing the plug itself out one turn be the solution, or will that simply make a larger area for compression to occur and cause more undergassing problems?

You could try that... But I had to open the gas block and ports. I screwed gas plug into block to see how much gas would come and go and when bottomed out alot of covered.. 1 whole turn allowed more gas for sure and looked the way it should. BUT it works perfect bottomed out and backed off..

Read the stickies. Read the threads in GunFun's sig line. Watch Tac-47's video on adjusting the autoplug. Your issues aren't new and the remedy information is already written and available. Or you could always pay big dollars to have the gun professionally tuned. It is much more satisfying to achieve the best results on your own, though.

Damn that Obama. He snuck in and tinkered with it. :haha2:

I'm not familar with the kick light stock, but if it has a recoil absorbing shock, I suppose it's POSSIBLE that it might be robbing the action of a solid platform upon which to cycle. Kinda like "limp wristing" a semi handgun. That'd require the stock to really move a lot, or the shotgun to have been barely working, IMO. If you put the factory plug back in, and it's still not working right, it's probably the stock. Obviously, then replace the stock with a factory one and make sure it's working correctly then. If that's what it was, I'd suggest a non-recoil reducing stock.

Yes but mine will fire bulk Winchester from a MD20 with the Autoplug from the hip.. :)