I went out Salmon fishing for the first time this season with a few coworkers today. We went out at the ass crack of dawn and trolled around for a while with one nice fish and then a while of nothing... after about an hour and a half more of trolling, we finally got into em and limited out pretty quickly. We hooked into about 15-17 total but had a few shake off the hook right at the boat (I landed all my fish with out losing one super_man.gif ) We ended up having 2 older rods break and our landing net broke on the last double hook up pulling in both at the same time! All in all it was a great fishing trip! I cant wait to go out for some Pacific Halibut!!!!! There are a few nice things about living in (northern) California...

post-19654-0-35937000-1368048236_thumb.jpg

post-19654-0-89554900-1368048280_thumb.jpg

post-19654-0-27884500-1368048345_thumb.jpg

post-19654-0-64431500-1368048383_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Im almost certain that is a sheepshead. Look at the dorsal fin and the stripes. Good looking fish. Once the season opens Im going walleye fishing. Now that is some damn good eating fish. Though Jumbo perch are pretty tasty too. You sir, have made me jealous.

If anyone is in the pacific North West, I live on the Columbia river your welcome to fish the salmon runs off my docks, there is a run of some sort almost all year, one of many Salmonoids, Steelhead or Cutthroat...."Springers" (Kings Salmon spring run) are still running the tail end of the run now, they are the local favorites, my best springer is a 48 pounder

• Like 2

Tsk, tsk... You inlanders talk sheepshead and walleye while the op sits silently by nibbling on his coho delicacy.

DrGonZo, what's your favorite way to prepare your silvers? We first smoke them for roughly four hours and then can them in 1/4 pint jars with a few slices of jalapeños. From time to time my uncle likes to add BBQ sauce when canning but I don't think it's necessary.

My girlfriend makes the best damn salmon chip dip. I'll post the recipe if you wish.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

Tsk, tsk... You inlanders talk sheepshead and walleye while the op sits silently by nibbling on his coho delicacy.

DrGonZo, what's your favorite way to prepare your silvers? We first smoke them for roughly four hours and then can them in 1/4 pint jars with a few slices of jalapeños. From time to time my uncle likes to add BBQ sauce when canning but I don't think it's necessary.

My girlfriend makes the best damn salmon chip dip. I'll post the recipe if you wish.

Inland? I'm right on the Gulf of Mexico, and this is literally a salt & fresh water fisherman's paradise.

I'll put some fresh fried or grilled Sheepshead, Pompano and Specks up against Salmon anyday.

That said, I've fished out of Sitka, AK and caught 'barndoor' Halibut and hit a grand slam on Salmon, catching a King, Coho, Sockeye, Pink & Chum in one day.

Good stuff fresh on the grill.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

That said, I've fished out of Sitka, AK and caught 'barndoor' Halibut and hit a grand slam on Salmon, catching a King, Coho, Sockeye, Silver & Chum in one day.

Did you mean to repeat yourself there? Coho = silver.

Edited by Netpackrat

That said, I've fished out of Sitka, AK and caught 'barndoor' Halibut and hit a grand slam on Salmon, catching a King, Coho, Sockeye, Silver & Chum in one day.

Did you mean to repeat yourself there? Coho = silver.

Oops... Meant Pink.

I'd love to hear the recipe! We can't keep silvers here... only King. These are just early season little guppies. The grade will improve as the season progresses. This year is supposed to have a higher percentage of 4-5 year old behemoths, but not quite as high of total numbers as last season. For being early season, there sure were a LOT of limits being caught before noon. Most between 10 and 20 lbs. We should see some 30+ pounders here pretty soon!

My favorite way to prepare them is straight raw cuts with a little bit of soy sauce or Cooked slowly in a covered pan, skin down, with a little sesame and olive oil and butter, a little salt and pepper, covered in diced garlic and drizzled with lemon juice. most of the garlic carmalizes in the sesame/olive oil/butter and is absolutely delicious. Once its done I drizzle a little bit of Larrupin Sauce on top. Its like angels copulating on your tongue!

Edited by DrGonZo
  • Like 1

I've been pulling 12 hour night shifts for weeks now. The GF wanted to go fishing this past Sunday.... So after a quick nap... We went out. I was so out of it, I was bitching there was something wrong with my pole...... IT WAS A FISH!!!!!!! After that I sat down on the dock.... Laid down on the dock...... GF wakes me up 3 hours later to tell me how many people went by in boats laughing at me snoring. Had enough of this outage.

• Like 1

Sweeet! Nice haul of fish.... as soon as I fill all the family's freezers with fresh shrimp, I'll be moving my boat back down to Homer and trolling for kings till I get my season limit - then it's on to halibut! Dippnetting reds doesn't count as it's just flat out work.

Screwing around with my GoPro, I tested out something to try and get video of the Dall Porpoise I see every time I go out shrimping. This was the first run, and now that I can see what it sees, I am going to tweak it and I should have some stellar footage soon. That, and when a co-worked emails me the video off his iphone we'll have video of clay target shooting with my S12 off my boat in a bay we slept in.

• Like 1

Sweeet! Nice haul of fish.... as soon as I fill all the family's freezers with fresh shrimp, I'll be moving my boat back down to Homer and trolling for kings till I get my season limit - then it's on to halibut! Dippnetting reds doesn't count as it's just flat out work.

You could always drive to Chitina and try dipnetting there. Add in the constant peril of falling into the Copper, never to be seen again, and you might get the thrill out of it you are missing.

• Like 1

You could always drive to Chitina and try dipnetting there. Add in the constant peril of falling into the Copper, never to be seen again, and you might get the thrill out of it you are missing.

been to Chitina many many years in a row - the only time my brother and I get together (he's in Squarebanks). We've probably made the trip together for 30 or more years? Besides, I MUCH prefer Copper River reds over Kenai. When I said reds don't count, I meant as 'fun' fishing haha.gif

Smoked Mackerel Dip (should work well with smoked Salmon)

Ingredients:
8 cups broken-up smoked King or Spanish Mackerel
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3-cup sour cream
1/3-cup mayonnaise
1/2-medium onion
8 ounces of jalapeno
2 green onions
1 bundle of celery
1/2-teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preparation: Put all ingredients on a food processor and enjoy!

(Note: Mustard and blackened seasoning on skinless king mackerel fillets and smoke them for about 3 hours with hickory chips.

Spray the grill with Pam to keep the fillets from sticking.)

• Like 2

That dip recipe is pretty close minus the mayo and both peppers. I'll post it up when I get home, but I thinking I might like chile's recipe more.

Edited: Just what I thought. My girlfriends cooking isn't too precise....

1 part smoked canned salmon

1 part cream cheese

dash of onion

dash of celery

mix to a thickened consistency and serve...

Her advice is not to over whip or it get's creamy.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

I never thought of silvers as delicacies. Smoked kings, now that's a delicacy. (unless you've had that pasty flavorless farmed stuff they call chinook) Coho is OK, but I prefer Sockeye or kings every time.

I had no idea Cali's season was so early. In Bristol bay, silvers start coming in quantity about the 3rd week of July when the reds are just starting to wane.

Rub em down with olive oil, a hand full of minced garlic, splash on soy sauce then hit it with another rub of maple syrup and brown sugar. maybe another splash of soysauce when you check them. Keep the heat under 300 so the sugar doesn't scorch.

Alt method for baking in the round. Slice up an onion, and garlic if handy. fill the belly with sliced onion and Pesti's italian seasoning. Bake until the meat flakes properly.

The best salmon dip I have ever had by far is made by a guy I know in AK. He wet smokes kings and then cans them with an extra splash of liquid smoke. I don't know the brine recipe, sadly. Then he makes the dip with cream cheese instead of mayo and barely any salt. Serve on Pilot Bread. Dang now I am so hungry.

• Like 1