I never thought of silvers as delicacies. Smoked kings, now that's a delicacy. (unless you've had that pasty flavorless farmed stuff they call chinook) Coho is OK, but I prefer Sockeye or kings every time.

this ^ ... smoke the reds, eat the kings. Silvers are a blast to catch, but the flavor is far too mild for me. And friends don't let friends buy, let alone eat, farmed salmon! That and pinks... they end up being shrimp pot bait if I accidentally catch them ;-)

I actually prefer nothing but a little of my homemade salt (smoked sea salt, smoked/roasted garlic and chipotle) and pepper on my salmon... all the other stuff just detracts from the flavor of the fish (halibut too). My smoked salmon spread is simply my own smoked salmon, a 16oz tub of cream cheese, and 1/4c chopped jalapeno (more if it's just me eating it). I've tried garlic, onion, and all the other stuff and I just keep coming back to the basic 3 parts.But then my smoked salmon has a STRONG smoke flavor... using store bought smoked salmon makes it not nearly as good. Has something to do with the huge amount of smoke flavor mine has. But everyone tastes are subjective - what I like others may not.

• Like 1

Reds are the best eating of the salmon, IMO. We ate a lot of silvers growing up because my dad's busy season revolved around the red gillnet fishery, while the Silvers ran well into the fall, so we had more opportunity to get out and fish then. My brother's convinced that the reason I don't really care for salmon most of the time is because we ate so much silver. Personally I think it's because we ate so much salmon period.

Our week went something like this... Dad would thaw a big filet of coho and barbecue it the first night... Which was okay, most of the time. We'd have more of the same for leftovers the next night, and if we were extra "lucky" on the third night there would still be enough for him to make a salmon loaf, or (just once) Salmon Helper (that was truly disgusting, and turns my stomach thinking of it more than 20 years later). All the while, we'd be getting salmon sandwiches for lunch. Maybe the 4th or 5th night we'd have a nice roast or some venison, before it was back to salmon... ugh.

These days I only eat salmon to be polite, if I find myself invited somewhere for dinner and that is what they are serving. Unless I can get some hard smoked sockeye strips, which are awesome.

The thing about silvers, is they are by far the best fighting of all the salmon, and most fun to catch. And you can also eat them, if you have to.

The thing that has always astounded me is the people down south who buy canned humpy, and think they are getting a treat. I wonder how many people have been turned off to Alaska salmon that way.

Anyone else do their own Sushi/Sashimi?

Alaskans do not eat bait.

Reds are the best eating of the salmon, IMO. We ate a lot of silvers growing up because my dad's busy season revolved around the red gillnet fishery, while the Silvers ran well into the fall, so we had more opportunity to get out and fish then. My brother's convinced that the reason I don't really care for salmon most of the time is because we ate so much silver. Personally I think it's because we ate so much salmon period.

Our week went something like this... Dad would thaw a big filet of coho and barbecue it the first night... Which was okay, most of the time. We'd have more of the same for leftovers the next night, and if we were extra "lucky" on the third night there would still be enough for him to make a salmon loaf, or (just once) Salmon Helper (that was truly disgusting, and turns my stomach thinking of it more than 20 years later). All the while, we'd be getting salmon sandwiches for lunch. Maybe the 4th or 5th night we'd have a nice roast or some venison, before it was back to salmon... ugh.

These days I only eat salmon to be polite, if I find myself invited somewhere for dinner and that is what they are serving. Unless I can get some hard smoked sockeye strips, which are awesome.

The thing about silvers, is they are by far the best fighting of all the salmon, and most fun to catch. And you can also eat them, if you have to.

The thing that has always astounded me is the people down south who buy canned humpy, and think they are getting a treat. I wonder how many people have been turned off to Alaska salmon that way.

Anyone else do their own Sushi/Sashimi?

Alaskans do not eat bait.

That's close to it for me. Growing up on the boat I got spoiled. Why eat anything but the best fish you catch, especially when they barely pay you for them.

I got pretty bored with fishies, but simultaneously picky and spoiled.

Now that I have been living like a normal person for a few years, good salmon sounds like a treat again.

Sashimi? I've done it, and it can be good. I'd never eat raw halibut though, or anything else parasite prone. Quality with high standards or nothing. Gambling with thick cuts of the wrong old is nasty.

Ya I'm not gonna nom on some raw grouper that is for damn sure. lol

what was that chewy bit with the weird taste? oh that was worms heh

I'm pretty careful about it, just nothing beats the flavor of the undoctored fish to me.

Sea urchin right off the beach is amazing.

• Like 1