New Saiga Saturday

I plan to get go get my brand new fresh saiga 12. A gun shop less and 2 hrs away just got a shipment in on Wednesday They got 6, three sold the same day and two today. Mines saved and paid for. Gotta go get her

870.00$ all said and done

Brand new never fired un-converted

Ive creeped and read and read and looked

Im correct that best way to go about it to break it in is with high power loads and then convert it?

What shells did you like during break in

No large mags to after I get 922...

Please don't flame me and say " search it on google"

Wow, at that price I would have gone to Legion USA.

Shells: Shoot a variety of loads; slug, buck, and top it off with a mag dumps of birdshot. When purchasing ammo don't get caught up in the labels describing ounces or velocity. Look for DRAM. A healthy S-12 should be able to run 3 DRAM. From the factory mine would not. It had troubles at 3 1/4 DRAM. Get to know where your's starts having FTE issues and then come back and we can help you tune it. A lot of the bulk cheap stuff is 2 3/4 DRAM. Run this through your S-12 without any modifications and you will certainly be disappointed.

Instead of breaking it in by shooting you can take some sandpaper to the rails, hammer, and the bottom of the carrier. You'll save money in ammo doing this.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding and I'll definitely be doing all of that.

Anything else I should be doing/checking while shooting

I plan to blast rounds all day everyday. I live in the middle of no where farm land...

Saddens me a little on the price... Is that too much? I couldn't find them anywhere... Plus it's local and on deck

... Then please don't post easily searchable questions that have already been addressed.

LOL Just messing with you!

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new purchase. It was a good one. big_smile.gif

Saddens me a little on the price... Is that too much? I couldn't find them anywhere... Plus it's local and on deck

Just make sure you have the gas plug on the proper settings. That seems to be the most common issue when first learning the S-12.

As for price you could have spent a little more and been able to get the Russian rear sight block. Not a big deal.

Welcome to the forum. One question, though. Why would you want to be spoon fed information that many of us have taken the time to already write?

Really, start with the stickies. Yes you should make it run 100%, with even light loads, before any conversion.

Im correct that best way to go about it to break it in is with high power loads and then convert it?

What shells did you like during break in

Nope - That is dead wrong. Look at the Reliability link in my signature for the answer to those questions.

I

I

V

I' just sat on the toilet with my iPad amd read all the that... Damn samsonite I was so close...

Could I have someone, like a gunsmith smooth the rails? Is that hard to do... I get a little nervous on that type of stuff...

I'm going to read alot more...

This is the Main 922R link.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

This is your check list for the parts you need for your shotgun!

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

i am happy i got mine when i did for 550 unconverted with a 5rd mag and a 13 rd mag. all said and done i was converted for 989 or so *includes price of gun to start* i could have went cheaper on a few things but i like the things i have choose.

MSAA and CSS are now your fav. websties....

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

Lots of good parts at good price's.

Also pick up an MD arms drum while your at it it was 136 shiped to my house. you can also get promags for about 85 or so shiped i think but i have never got one or tryed one so i cannot say how they run. the MD arms runs like a champ!

http://www.mdarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=u33b8qdldtsnt2c82lbqh7l290

Enjoy they are fun!

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

One damn day closer...

Should I stop on the way home and shoot a little or do the other process first, light sanding the rails?

Clean it first?

Anyone have a video of someone cleaning there saga 12? I'd did google that, but couldn't really find one

Congratulations, just take some time to shoot the hell out of it, look through the picture thread for ideas on conversion, and read the tech section and you cant beat Carolina Shooters Supply (CSS) conversion video. Unless you have two left hands with all thumbs and you have poked one of your own eyes out you can convert this yourself!

So finally go out to shoot it and all I can say is WOW!

I shot about 200 rounds thru the stock 5 mag (mostly 3 in slugs from different makers), 12 round drums and 20 round drums...

Had one FTE that was from old shells I found in my dads gun safe....

I shot slugs to 00 buck from different makers and it run fine!

Loved it all! Going bangin again today...

They usually shoot slugs and 00 buck with no problems.. go run some low brass birdshot on setting 2 and tell me how that works?

Mine ate everything heavy and the moment I put birdshot in was the moment I learned it was NOT working to my standards. FTE on almost every round some wouldnt even extract at all.

Edited by travistp

They usually shoot slugs and 00 buck with no problems.. go run some low brass birdshot on setting 2 and tell me how that works?

Mine ate everything heavy and the moment I put birdshot in was the moment I learned it was NOT working to my standards. FTE on almost every round some wouldnt even extract at all.

I shot 150 rounds of Federal bulk that I bought at Walmart last Saturday, not one single malfunction.

Ok so a little update...

I went to walmart and bought a bulk pack of federal cheap stuff

12 gauge 3 dram 1 1/8 8 shot

Well I shot about 30 rounds of 00 Buck first then I switched to setting 1 and had a few failures, FT Eject-

I switched back to setting 2 and ran some more slugs and 00 buck worked 100%

But i forgot to switch it back for a drum of the Federal stuff and it cycled and fired 100%. I hope that wasn't too bad...

I switched right back to 1 and ran 60 rounds with out a single issue....

knock on wood it works today like yesterday....

Side note. My promag drum doesn't have enough power, whatever it is to feed the last round high enough for it to catch. It's always the last round in my 12rd drum and 2- 20rd drums.... The stock mag is always fine....

Any thing I'm missing?

I think you have your plug positions backwards. Setting "2" is for low brass loads, wall mart bulk, bird shot and such. Setting "1" is for your high brass loads, generally slugs, buckshot and 3" mags.

I want to add that the number on the plug next to the detent pin that locks the plug in place is what setting you're on.