What are the most available 223 mags?

I'm really impressed with how helpful everyone is on this forum. I read the "Did I make a mistake with the Saiga 223?" topic and that was inspiring enough to make me want to be a nice guy. I can fake it.

But it brought up a few other questions. What are the most easily bought 223 mags that will work on a 223 Saiga? I also followed threads on converting Saigas to accept 223 mags so that isn't out of the running either.

Lastly, if I install a round front trunion bullet guide, can I still use mags with built in bullet guides like the OEM one? Bear in mind that I live in California so I'm restricted to 10 round mags. I've seen 20 and 30 round mags with rods riveted in fore and aft to restrict them so there's possibilities. Take care, everyone.

How's it goin, I too am from the glorious state of CA.

I actually just got 9 SGM mags. I think they're pretty easy to get. And I believe the factory mag didn't work after I installed the bullet guide on my S223

I’d have to defer to the other senior member for the BG with the factory mags on .223. I have couple of S223’s, the one is a “basic conversion” and I’m currently using the Tapco 10rd mags and they work nicely. I picked them up from CSS, who is an excellent S12 forum vendor. This is off topic but I do know if you install a BG on the 7.62x39 for standard AK mags you could still could re-use factory mags after a slight trim, just needs a small bevel.

Last year on my #2 S223 I went for the TAK-D original AR to AK mag adapter, we will call that Revision 1 which was the orginal design. TAK recently released the Bastard (two models)I so I upgraded to the TAK Bastard w/LRBHO. I love it. TAK-D is another excellent S12 forum vendor. If you look at the Bastard description it says the It "can also be made California compliant with a Bullet Button Release", so there you go if you want to go that route. I’m in a restricted state as well so I could use my 10rd or 15rd mags in my S233 and my other non-Saiga carbines. I have 15/20 PMags, as you probably know they call them 15/20 because they don't make a 15 so they mod 20 rd bodies and permanently pin them at 15 rds, or 10/20's for CA as I'm sure you know the drill... Free state folks are LOL at this point

Please be advised that the Bastard is not an “out of the box bolt-on”, there is a fair amount of fabrication & fitting that goes into this mod. So if you like modding stuff and have worked with metals previously it’s not bad at all, it just time. I enjoyed the project so the time spent was enjoyed as well especially after it all came together and test fired it for the first time. If it is not something you want to tackle and still would like to get it done maybe you could sent it out for the mill job. Anyway just wanted to let you know the Bastard does say it could be made CA compliant and welcome to the forum.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan

If you install a bullet guide you will have to trim the front lip off the factory magazine. That lip is a built in bullet guide, and a bullet guide added to the receiver it will hang over and block the factory mag from locking in up front.

I assume you have a ten round limit in California. I would look at tapco and SGM. SGM long mags can be trimmed down. The ribs on the side of the mag are there to cut off below and use the rib as the new lip for the base plate to slide onto. The SGM may need trimming on the front lip of the mag to work with a bullet guide since they are designed to work without it.

• Like 1

I would install a texas ak ar15 mag adapter.

I would rather buy SGM mags instead of the adapter. Spend money on the adapter, you have to mod the gun, and you still won't have any mags. For the adapter price you can buy 5 or 6 SGM mags. Plus you do realize how hard it's to get Pmags at a good price in today's market?

In my first post, I made a reference to the wrong thread. I meant the "Did I Makea Big Mistake with the .223?". As far as the "Should I sale my.23 Saiga", I hope people are as cool to me if I/when make a mistake.

I've bought a couple of SGM Tactical 10 rounders from calegalmags.com. I think I'll just stock up on those for now. I'm going to buy a bullet guide and temporarily install it so I can reinstall if needed in the future.

The TAKD B.A.S.T.A.R.D. looks interesting, especially with the LRBHO. But the time down for installation and the cost will make me put that on the back burner.

I'm interested in being rigidly flexible. If a source for mags dries up, I want to be able to go to another source or type of mag. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm enjoying the Hell out of my S223.

I would install a texas ak ar15 mag adapter.

I would rather buy SGM mags instead of the adapter. Spend money on the adapter, you have to mod the gun, and you still won't have any mags. For the adapter price you can buy 5 or 6 SGM mags. Plus you do realize how hard it's to get Pmags at a good price in today's market?

If you want a no hassle mag get the SGM the gun is made to run with mags like these. The gun will be flat out dependable.

I love my 10 rounders they work really well and keeps the gun lighter. I have seen some 20 rd on sale for 29 dollars. look around they can be cut down real easy. The 15 round if cut down will have a better spring tension . I ran a bullet guide but went back to Factory style mags

• Like 1

If you install a bullet guide, the cheapest and easiest to get mags are the Promag AK223 mags (the non-Saiga model) and Tapco Galil magazines. The Tapco mag is the better made of the two, though it looks a bit dorky. The Promag magazines work fine when they don't have the cheesy built-in bullet guide.

I have thrown and run over the Tapco mag. The only weak spot is the rear latch tab. I slammed my fist into the magazine intentionally with it inserted in the rifle, and the tab broke off.

I snapped off the front tab on a Promag by repeatedly pressing down on side of the magazine while inserted into the rifle. I took the rifle and pressed the magazine HARD against the floor. I mean I was really tweaking the thing, and it held up for a long time after that - this just stressed out the plastic on the front tab too much.

I like doing torture tests on the cheap mags and would be happy to do more if anyone ever asks.

Neither mag are a nice as a steel mag or a steel-reinforced mag, but since they're so cheap (usually $10-15 ea in non-scare times), you can buy a ton. More = good.

Personally I prefer the bullet guide option. There is a very wide range of mags that the Saiga .223 will actually work with. If you were in an "emergency", you can even feed a limited number of 5.56 rounds from a 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 magazine. Without a bullet guide, you're limited to Saiga-only magazines that have a built-in bullet guide.

Edited by mancat
  • 2 weeks later...

People would complicate things by themselves for free , sometimes ... I have 7 SGM mags that work flawlessly on my .223 Saiga . I also bought a BG (from CSS) as a back up in a unlikely fuzzy future scenario that I will not be able to obtain SGM mags , so then I would install the BG to use whatever is available . I am aware that I would also be able to file down the plastic tap on the SGM mags and keep using them forever .

Why would someone modify its gun to use wobbly Promag , Galil mags or whatever else , when the correct magazines for the weapon can be obtained is beyond me

I read that people want steel mags for reliability , durability , etc , etc ... My AR-15 has used only Magpul plastic magazines that after 10 years are still looking like new and function 100% .

My VZ58 use VZ58 magazines , my AR-15 uses AR-15 magazines , my PSL uses PSL magazines ... and they all function correctly . Why would the Saiga .223 be different ? you use the correct magazine and your weapon would function correctly and flawlessly... but I cut be wrong , although somehow I doubt it ... !!!

Edited by josey88
  • Like 1

I like SGM mags and their BHO function. I also like the flexibility of having a BG and using Beryl and Weiger mags. Solution? I installed a BG and modified the SGM mags to work with the BG. Now I have the best of both worlds.

SGM magazines aren't the "correct" magazines for the rifle. They're just one of many aftermarket magazines that could possibly work in them. They're still all plastic mags, with the added drawback of having a plastic bullet guide that can break off or wear away.

Personal preference. If they work for you and you like them, great.

SGM magazines aren't the "correct" magazines for the rifle. They're just one of many aftermarket magazines that could possibly work in them. They're still all plastic mags, with the added drawback of having a plastic bullet guide that can break off or wear away.

Personal preference. If they work for you and you like them, great.

Since we here on the U.S. are not able to obtain the russian factory mags , the SGM mags are the closest thing to the real thing , so hence the term "correct" magazines . The SGMs , as you know , are made specifically for .223 Saigas

Yes, I like them . Those mags are tight , fit correctly, load easily and function perfectly . If the plastic tab ever start to wear out (?) then I I will install the BG and I even like the looks inserted on the receiver , but what I like more is that they work every time ... they are a little bulky , but I am fine with that .

Edited by josey88