Department of Defense forcefully shuts down 3D printed gun maker

Looks like the feds are trying to strongarm Defense Distributed, the group that has been distributing CAD designs for printed magazines, receivers, and recently a complete pistol.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-dept-of-defense-shuts-down-defense-distributed/

A tweet from Cody Wilson reveals the truth about the Liberator pistol project: the D0D has shut down Defense Distributed’s download capability. Clicking on the Downloads tab at defcad.org yields this message: “DEFCAD files are being removed from public access at the request of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls. Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.” As libertyandsuch.com points out, the mega-minds at the Pentagon are apparently some of the last people to figure out how the internet really works. DefDist’s CAD files are still available here. For now. According to forbes.com . . .

Do your part if you use torrents and help spread the files to anyone that may want or need them there is a link in the article. They were free open source files anyway so there is nothing wrong with redistributing them for free as long as you don't try and modify them to take the credit for the work.

There are MILLIONS of internet users, they can't shut us all down the info will get out one way or another.

...I guess they forgot about the 1st Amendment too.

Also, once something is on the Web, it's there FOREVER.

...just think when the tech matures, ANY weapon could be created that would be nearly impossible for the average person to machine.

It'd also be great to be able to scan in ANY part, then repair or modify the drawing and re-print a custom or restored part.

Edited by patriot

If the files are in .pdf form, then DOD is up shit creek without a boat or paddle. Change the filename, upload it to another torrent site, and do it again....and again.....and again.

The goobment is slowly discovering We the People aren't stupid.

• Like 1

Why are thru found tips it's perfectly legal to make your own gun. I mean you can get the actual plans to make a submachine gun from pipe and that much easier for the regular Joe to get than access to a 3D printer.

Do your part if you use torrents and help spread the files to anyone that may want or need them there is a link in the article. They were free open source files anyway so there is nothing wrong with redistributing them for free as long as you don't try and modify them to take the credit for the work.

There are MILLIONS of internet users, they can't shut us all down the info will get out one way or another.

The above article just prompted me to download the files, regardless of the fact that I don't have a 3D printer or CAD software.

Torrents are wonderful things, I think I will seed this file pack for a while...

• Like 1

shows how paranoid the feds are. they got their panties all in a bunch over a plastic single shot 22 pistol that probably wears out after 5 shots. 021.gif

Not even that, I downloaded the Liberator just now, and the readme that goes with it says the barrels are only good for one shot, but if you do some sort of treatment to it, it can last about 10 shots. Even with the treatment they recommend you print multiple barrels and swap them after every shot.

Looks like the feds are trying to strongarm Defense Distributed, the group that has been distributing CAD designs for printed magazines, receivers, and recently a complete pistol.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/daniel-zimmerman/breaking-dept-of-defense-shuts-down-defense-distributed/

A tweet from Cody Wilson reveals the truth about the Liberator pistol project: the D0D has shut down Defense Distributed’s download capability. Clicking on the Downloads tab at defcad.org yields this message: “DEFCAD files are being removed from public access at the request of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls. Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.” As libertyandsuch.com points out, the mega-minds at the Pentagon are apparently some of the last people to figure out how the internet really works. DefDist’s CAD files are still available here. For now. According to forbes.com . . .

Whats amazing is work such as this furthers research on 3D printing of replacement tissue for the critically ill in need of organ transplant.... What we are and will be capable of is staggering, don't you think?

The director of operations is a law student that pushed this issue intentionally. Seems like a snake to me. In reality, the whole operation was designed to create new gun laws and further infringe our right to privacy.

Complete douchebaggery.

The director of operations is a law student that pushed this issue intentionally. Seems like a snake to me. In reality, the whole operation was designed to create new gun laws and further infringe our right to privacy.

Complete douchebaggery.

Way off the mark.

He's pushing boundaries, to force the issue and see where those boundaries will come to exist - and simultaneously showing that those boundaries are meaningless.

• Like 2

Well, after going to work today and talking to our CAD operator, he wouldn't need a 3D printer. We have 7075-T6 blank stock at work, and plenty of SS tubing. How many other shops have even a mediocre machine and even 6065-T6 stock? Granted it would be a smoothbore(unless you bought a junk barrel), but it would still be beefier than the plastic. He said if he had the CAD file for an AR lower, the machine could punch it out in about 10 minutes.

Also, the original Liberator dropped in France was only good for one shot. Reloading took around 5 minutes, but the pot metal frame usually grenaded on the second shot. The object was to bury it deep in a Nazi's back(to muffle the pop), pop him, ditch the Lib, then take his weapon. Even a .22LR in the right spot would accomplish this task.

• Like 2

Complete douchebaggery.

Way off the mark.

He's pushing boundaries, to force the issue and see where those boundaries will come to exist - and simultaneously showing that those boundaries are meaningless.

There's perception, and there's reality. Personally, I never trust third party debt collectors.

Well, after going to work today and talking to our CAD operator, he wouldn't need a 3D printer. We have 7075-T6 blank stock at work, and plenty of SS tubing. How many other shops have even a mediocre machine and even 6065-T6 stock? Granted it would be a smoothbore(unless you bought a junk barrel), but it would still be beefier than the plastic. He said if he had the CAD file for an AR lower, the machine could punch it out in about 10 minutes.

Also, the original Liberator dropped in France was only good for one shot. Reloading took around 5 minutes, but the pot metal frame usually grenaded on the second shot. The object was to bury it deep in a Nazi's back(to muffle the pop), pop him, ditch the Lib, then take his weapon. Even a .22LR in the right spot would accomplish this task.

I've handled a few Liberator pistols, and, sorry, you're wrong about their construction and reloading. Reloading takes less than 30 seconds if you're decently competent - the only somewhat difficult part is extracting the old shell, which you can do with anything stick-like, even a pen, or the little wooden dowel that came in the box with the gun. They're not made of potmetal. They're made of mild steel. Almost everything was stamped sheet metal construction. They were boxed with 10 rounds of ammo - and they could reliably fire 10 times without exploding. They are surprisingly beefy. They were dirt cheap to manufacture - that doesn't mean they aren't robust. You're right about their intended use - quietly kill someone to take their real firearm. It would have been interesting to see the effects had massive numbers of Liberators been dropped over occupied Europe.

There are also no documented instances of Liberator pistols being dropped in France. A small shipment was made to England, to be distributed in France - I've never seen any documented evidence that they were air-dropped.

I've seen a original Liberator and I was amazed by the difference in what had been explained to me years ago as a one hit quitter, and the actual stamped weapon, instructions, wooden dowel and 10 rounds that was intended to free a occupied Europe.tee2176.jpg

And the new one created by a 3D printer.

2Q8Sf_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

It was just as a brilliant idea then as now, though the motivation is still somewhat questionable. Wilson's following quote gives you a lot to think about. What do you think??

Although Wilson denies advocating any sort of violent revolt in America. He instead argues that his goal is to demonstrate how technology can circumvent laws until governments simply become irrelevant. “This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space…The government will increasingly be on the sidelines, saying ‘hey, wait,’” says Wilson. “It’s about creating the new order in the crumbling shell of the old order.”

Wilson doesn’t deny that his gun could be used for murder or political violence. “I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is: It’s a gun,” he says. “But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest.”

He prefers to think of his Liberator in the same terms as its namesake, the one built for distribution to resistance fighters in Nazi-occupied countries in the 1940s. That plan was conceived in part as a psychological operation aimed at lowering the occupying forces’ morale, Wilson says, and he believes his project will strike a similar symbolic blow against governments around the world. “The enemy took notice that weapons were being dropped from the sky,” he says. “Our execution will be better. We have the Internet.”

(re-posted from the original@ http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/ )

Edited by redrocker35

I've seen a original Liberator and I was amazed by the difference in what had been explained to me years ago as a one hit quitter, and the actual stamped weapon, instructions, wooden dowel and 10 rounds that was intended to free a occupied Europe.tee2176.jpg

And the new one created by a 3D printer.

2Q8Sf_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

It was just as a brilliant idea then as now, though the motivation is still somewhat questionable. Wilson's following quote gives you a lot to think about. What do you think??

Although Wilson denies advocating any sort of violent revolt in America. He instead argues that his goal is to demonstrate how technology can circumvent laws until governments simply become irrelevant. “This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space…The government will increasingly be on the sidelines, saying ‘hey, wait,’” says Wilson. “It’s about creating the new order in the crumbling shell of the old order.” (re-posted from the original@ http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/ )

Dand I actually typed up something mentioning the Liberty pistol but never posted it, you took the words out of my mouth.

I am suspicious of the OOO Industries trying to install a program called Privitize. They can't spell privatize right and I fear malware in the form of viruses, spyware and other programs that may be difficult to remove that can harm your computer.

I would like to get a file just to have it. I don't have a 3D printer and I wouldn't trust shooting anything with a plastic barrel but as an engineer, I would like to see how it works.

Defense Distributed were also forced to remove the ARA-15 lower data from their site.

Edited by uzitiger