Loading for .223 carbine length barrels

After shooting my S223, I can definitely agree that these puppies are loud. Haven't had a chance to verify the muzzle flash because it's never been dark enough when shooting. Like my experience with the Saiga, I'm also a newb to reloading. Because of the 16+ inch barrel, could the flash and sound be lessened by using a faster burning powder? I figure at least less unburned powder/ejecta being thrown out will cut down on the flash. At the range it is not a problem, but could be in dark, confined places.

There's no point in reloading until I get the AK cartridge dent problem fixed. I'm trying some vinyl auto door edge trim on the aft end of the ejection port since I'm such a cheap SOB. Will see how well that works and holds up tomorrow. Thanks for any advice you all might have. No one needs to give me specific loads since I don't want anyone to be exposed to liability hassles. Just tell me what powders work well for you and I'll get the manuals. Have a good weekend.

Edited by TackyDriver

since you are not going to be shooting thousand yard matches, or asking SUB MOA performance from your SAIGA .223... LOAD the dimpled rounds. The full length resizing dies will take most of it out, and they will reload and shoot just fine the next time. You may not get QUITE the number of reloads out of it you would from a bolt action... but you should get SEVERAL... :up: Also, typically the bolt puts a dimple in the base of the brass at the primer too... nothing you can do about that one if yoursd makes that dimple.

:smoke:

To cut down on flash and noise, I'd try starting loads of a couple of the faster powders. IMR 4198 and AA1680 come to mind. The old red Lee manual had .223 loads for both, but the latest version seems to have dropped 1680. You might have to visit the Accurate Arms site to get the latest data.

Don't get creative. Stick with published data.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...