What side do you fold your stock on?

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fold left or right?

• Left
    • Right
    • I don't have a folder.

I read one thread that explained that with a right folder, you don't have to swing the gun away to open the stock (when you're a right hander), when you have the weapon slinged on your shoulder (much faster "up on target"). Made perfect sense to me, so I went with a right folder. You can still fire it with the stock folded too.

• Like 2

My 1st rifle folded to the right because thats how I bought it. Now thats how I prefer it because it doesn't add much extra width to the firearm because the charging handle is already on that side. It's not a big deal except for when I want to put them in 1 of my narrow hardcases to go to the range.

Bullseyeboy-

Left but anytime I shoot or carry the rifle it's open so any folder would proably be ok. But I like to be able to get to the safety and charging handle easily when folded.

Oh and under wasn't an option???

• Like 1

Assuming the shooter is right handed, here is a list of pros and cons

right folding

Pros:

Carries tighter to your body when slung.

Faster deployment of stock

thinner profile when folded(stock and charging handle on same side)

does not interfere with left side optics

Cons:

Obstructs selector, charging handle, and trigger while folded(usually can all be manipulated, but less easily.)

Left folding

Pros:

Unfettered access to controls while folded(trigger, selector, charging handle)

Cons:

Does not carry as well slung with the folded stock against your body

Slower to deploy, uses offhand to deploy and stock must swing past your body.

Wider folded profile(stock and charging handle on opposite sides of weapon)

Does not fold in conjunction with a side mounted optic.

Basically it depends on what matters most to the end user.

Do you prefer ease of firing weapon while folded, or ease of deploying stock.

If you plan on running left optics left folding shouldn't be considered.

• Like 2

Assuming the shooter is right handed, here is a list of pros and cons

right folding

Pros:

Carries tighter to your body when slung.

Faster deployment of stock

thinner profile when folded(stock and charging handle on same side)

does not interfere with left side optics

Cons:

Obstructs selector, charging handle, and trigger while folded(usually can all be manipulated, but less easily.)

Left folding

Pros:

Unfettered access to controls while folded(trigger, selector, charging handle)

Cons:

Does not carry as well slung with the folded stock against your body

Slower to deploy, uses offhand to deploy and stock must swing past your body.

Wider folded profile(stock and charging handle on opposite sides of weapon)

Does not fold in conjunction with a side mounted optic.

Basically it depends on what matters most to the end user.

Do you prefer ease of firing weapon while folded, or ease of deploying stock.

If you plan on running left optics left folding shouldn't be considered.

Excellent summary of the pros/cons! Based on that I would personally go for the right side folder, even though at first thought left made more sense because of access to the controls as a righty. I just wish I could have ANY folder, or even a basic AK conversion in this craphole state (MA). As soon as I move, the thumbhole is coming off for a Bonesteel right side folder though!

• Like 1

I had it right, but with the charging handle I have it doesn't seem like a good option, I switched it and am kind of meh on it, but I need to use it more and then I'll make a more permanent move to one or the other.

Right hand shooter. I tried right and left folding. Right was awkward for me to unfold and would catch on my arm. Left side was smoother to deploy with a small flick forward. Top mounted sights. I like nothing to interfere with the controls.

Right-folding Bonesteel for me. After I installed it, I remember audibly going "woah" out how fast you can deploy the stock and acquire targets. Those with Galil-style charging handles wouldn't have a problem charging with a right-folder though, and it's making me consider having one installed.

• Like 1

Am I just having a really bad day here or are most posters on this excellent forum just stupid? My Saigas fold to the right because I exploit the factory left hand scope mount rail. The folders in my case will not fold to the left...thus they must fold to the right. Pretty simple actually.

Yep...the factory left hand rails did suck totally as delivered from the Vodka factory, but they were both removed and properly realigned, (shimmed) sosss that both Eotecks shoot down the pipe right to left and up and down with the Eoteck's adjustment also exactly centered. Duhhh! Lots of time involved.

Please do not tell me you decided to chuck the factory side rail mount and instead choose to use a hinged top cover! Over time they will not stay zeroed!! Hello? My scope mounts let me remove the top cover without removing the Eotecks first. Trial and error. Hope this helps some. HB of CJ

Both Ace 9.0" length since I'm kinda still a big guy at 6' 1" and 200#, but I am dieting, but stilll remain an old coot which I can not help. Removing both tangs required courage, let me tell you, since by nature I am kinda chicken shit. smile.png

Am I just having a really bad day here or are most posters on this excellent forum just stupid? My Saigas fold to the right because I exploit the factory left hand scope mount rail. The folders in my case will not fold to the left...thus they must fold to the right. Pretty simple actually.

Yep...the factory left hand rails did suck totally as delivered from the Vodka factory, but they were both removed and properly realigned, (shimmed) sosss that both Eotecks shoot down the pipe right to left and up and down with the Eoteck's adjustment also exactly centered. Duhhh! Lots of time involved.

Please do not tell me you decided to chuck the factory side rail mount and instead choose to use a hinged top cover! Over time they will not stay zeroed!! Hello? My scope mounts let me remove the top cover without removing the Eotecks first. Trial and error. Hope this helps some. HB of CJ

Both Ace 9.0" length since I'm kinda still a big guy at 6' 1" and 200#, but I am dieting, but stilll remain an old coot which I can not help. Removing both tangs required courage, let me tell you, since by nature I am kinda chicken shit. smile.png

Ok so since this is the second time I've seen you go semi agro for no reason and insult peoples intelligence I'm gonna ask...

...Do you refer to yourself in third person in person or just using your username on a forum in third person?

And are you in fact stupid or do you just communicate like a stroke victim?

• Like 1

My S12s fold to the left and sight rails have been removed.....I don't understand the need to put an optic on a scattergun...but to each his own. My Yugos of coarse fold under.

Thank you sir for your input. I would like to ask: does it fold better with the sight rail removed?.....I suppose it just depends on your stock?

any pics?

First things first. I am sorry I called all of your un-experienced people stupid. Very bad choice of words and I am sorry. You are not stupid. Wrong word. Sorry. You are un-experienced. There is a big difference. Sorry the third time.

Let us have at it. Saigas are about as Russian AK as you can get. They come from the Booze Factory with a left hand receiver rail. Why did they do that? Humm. Think it through please. A very good idea that unfortunately requires most of the time that the rail to be removed and realigned properly. Time consuming but very easy. I used automotive valve adjustment setting tools as shims.

The rivits were ground then knocked out and replaced with simple short hex bolts, nuts and lock washers along with Blue Loctite. So far so good. Yes I have an "optic" on my SBS Saiga 12. All NFA rules apply. Only it is not actually an optic as it does not magnify. It has a red circle with a red dot in the middle of it. Very easy and quick to use.

The Saiga 7.62x51 16" bbl also has a Eoteck, but has the red chevrons matched to the bullet drop of the .308. Seems to work just fine out to about 200 yards, but the scope has aim points out to 400 yards. Probably too far as the scope is only 1X. I can hold bench rest groups well inside 3" with handloads.

I am using a side rail scope mount, (the manufacture has three letters...help me out here...senior moment) that lets the top covers come off without removing or messing with the scope. Some here say that their scope with the hinged top cover mounts have never lost zero. OK...what ever you say. I am saying that my Eotects do not have to budge once they are locked onto the side rail top mount and also have not seemed to lost zero. See the difference?

My 9.0 inch ACE folders fold to the right. They have to. They will not most certainly fold to the left. That factory side rail that mounts the scope mount is in the way. The stocks fold to the right. I choose to exploit the factory provided left hand scope mount rail even though it did not work at all as delivered from the Vokca factory.

Eventually those of you who have optics mounted on some hinging type of top cover will understand thru personal experience that your scope is not holding zero. It will most likely be up and down, but possibly also over time, right to left. You will eventually understand that you have choosen un wisely. Thus the word non-experienced. Not stupid. Bad choice of words. I am sorry. HB of CJ