I've seen a original Liberator and I was amazed by the difference in what had been explained to me years ago as a one hit quitter, and the actual stamped weapon, instructions, wooden dowel and 10 rounds that was intended to free a occupied Europe.

(Which wouldn't be necessary if they had been armed already,

The 2nd Amendment Rocks!)

tee2176.jpg

And the new one created by a 3D printer.

2Q8Sf_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

It was just as a brilliant idea then as now, though the motivation is still somewhat questionable. Wilson's following quote gives you a lot to think about. What do you think??

Although Wilson denies advocating any sort of violent revolt in America. He instead argues that his goal is to demonstrate how technology can circumvent laws until governments simply become irrelevant. “This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space…The government will increasingly be on the sidelines, saying ‘hey, wait,’” says Wilson. “It’s about creating the new order in the crumbling shell of the old order.”

Wilson doesn’t deny that his gun could be used for murder or political violence. “I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is: It’s a gun,” he says. “But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest.”

He prefers to think of his Liberator in the same terms as its namesake, the one built for distribution to resistance fighters in Nazi-occupied countries in the 1940s. That plan was conceived in part as a psychological operation aimed at lowering the occupying forces’ morale, Wilson says, and he believes his project will strike a similar symbolic blow against governments around the world. “The enemy took notice that weapons were being dropped from the sky,” he says. “Our execution will be better. We have the Internet.”

If I didn't know better I would think that this was a plot for a movie, but can this actually really happening? I see some of his scenarios fit, but I'm not sold that this Utopian state he envisions arising from the internet, would be anything close to what he believes it will be.

i.e. ARIIA from Eagle Eye, Rise of the Machines & Skynet all give me chills on where that would lead...

But hey, what do I know... Its a great idea to be able to share technology and impede gun control Your thoughts?

(re-posted from my original reply to mancat's thread

"Department of Defense forcefully shuts down 3D printed gun maker")

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88043-department-of-defense-forcefully-shuts-down-3d-printed-gun-maker/

& excerpts from @

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-wohttp://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88043-department-of-defense-forcefully-shuts-down-3d-printed-gun-maker/ rlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/ )

Edited by redrocker35

You're missing the point. He's not saying he wants a 'New World Order' in the sense that you're imagining. He wants antiquated laws regarding the sharing of information and technology to better reflect the times now and in the future. The first step is for governments to admit they cannot control such information. The only way for them to admit that is to freely share information that they would love to control... such as a 3D printed gun.

• Like 2

You're missing the point. He's not saying he wants a 'New World Order' in the sense that you're imagining. He wants antiquated laws regarding the sharing of information and technology to better reflect the times now and in the future. The first step is for governments to admit they cannot control such information. The only way for them to admit that is to freely share information that they would love to control... such as a 3D printed gun.

That makes a lot of sense. Although the thought had crossed my mind, other points may have allowed my mind to run amuck w/ a wild Hollywood induced plot. I may of missed this point of view, and it defiantly widens my scope of understanding. Thanks

• Like 1

Defense Distributors has been ordered by the State Department to take down the CAD data. It's available on pirate sites but I don't want to risk getting viruses, spyware or other malware from them. Let me know whether it works. I don't have a 3D printer and would be hesitant to try shooting something with a plastic barrel.

Also I am suspicious of OOO Insustries trying to install a program called Privitize, they don't even spell privatize right.

Edited by uzitiger

I think it is a testto see how far the government can be pushed, and we found out.

We all knw how to make a "zip" gun, the first Liberator of WWll was to be used 1 or 2 times,

how ever long it took to get you hands on a "real" firearm.

Accoring to Lone Eagle's reply in mancat's post

Department of Defense forcefully shuts down 3D printed gun maker

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88043-department-of-defense-forcefully-shuts-down-3d-printed-gun-maker/

There is a company that will currently print your product from your drawing and they print in aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, bronze, brass, and plastics, etc. The defcad stuff renders in their system.” That would be i.materialise.com. “You can see for yourself that defcad’s drawings render perfectly in their system. Upload the attached AR-10 lower receiver file http://i.materialise.com/3dprintlab/instance/0ba96cbf-dfeb-4e67-ae66-699ed4555999 and it will appear in their 3D preview no problem.” Note: their machines are more than large enough to print an AR lower. Needless to say, the Belgian manufacturer is legally constrained from this sort of endeavor. However, the technology to print a robust firearm in a strong metal exists. And now that cat’s out of the bag, too.

You can now 3D print in a host of different materials (20+) such as ABS plastic, polyamide (nylon), glass filled polyamide, stereolithography materials (epoxy resins),titanium, steel, wax, photopolymers and polycarbonate.

Titanium

Models made in titanium are printed in titanium powder that is sintered together by a laser to produce end-use metal parts that are as equally good as machined models. 3D printed titanium (unpolished) doesn’t look like the traditional shiny milled titanium. Instead it’s a bit grayer and more matte with a slightly rougher and less defined surface. If you do want it all nice and shiny, your model can be polished manually. This, of course, depends on the reachable surfaces. Some models cannot be polished. Models in titanium are very strong, precise and can have feature size as small as 0.25 mm.

Does anyone know if this means the item would

have the strength of machined titanium being that the titanium powder is sintered together using a laser rather than being milled ? ? ?

Could you imagine Saiga or Kriss getting in on the action and creating a amazingly lightened AK or TDI Vector?

(3 to 4 lbs respectively )

The two most useful properties of the titanium platform would be corrosion resistance and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal in its unalloyed condition, titanium is as strong as some steels but 45% lighter. I would also be willing to concede that maybe even parts would be adapted to balance out the new Saiga or Super V masterpiece...

Would a approx. 4 lb fully outfitted balanced rifle even be a interest to the

general public?

Hell yeah, I believe it would.

I know, sounds far fetched... but you have to admit,

the future of weapon development is still wide open...

I know the KRISS Super V submachine gun developed by the Swiss-based company Transcontinental Defense Industries

blew my mind the first time I saw it in action.

So who knows, with 2.5D, CAD, CAM, G-code, and Numerical Control

types of Machining and 3D Printing technology increasing at such break neck speeds,

what unique future weapons await us in the next few years.

Maybe even a future where the information to build something along these lines

is freely

shared.

Any thoughts?

Such Interesting Concepts like this must keep

bureaucrats up late at night, rocking back and forth & chanting

" there's no place like the internet ... there's no place like the internet...

Other than the weird font being hard to read, titanium is not what you want to make guns out of! Titanium is what is used for bright white flares in fireworks. On the tesla coil mailing list, someone used titanium for electrodes on his rotory spark gap, and had one hell of a fire!

It might work for making handguards or other parts that don't get too hot, but for barrels and bolts it's a no-no!

Other than the weird font being hard to read, titanium is not what you want to make guns out of! Titanium is what is used for bright white flares in fireworks. On the tesla coil mailing list, someone used titanium for electrodes on his rotory spark gap, and had one hell of a fire!

It might work for making handguards or other parts that don't get too hot, but for barrels and bolts it's a no-no!

I thought that was magnesium?

I think he was simply trying to prove to those who believe that guns should be banned that there is even more power in information than there is in material objects. Attempts to ban this data will without a doubt be interpretted as an attack on the 1st amendment. Honestly though the media and gun grabbers are simply panicking over nothing. All of Browning's designs are illustrated in countless books. Anyone with the proper materials and tools can make a gun. It's really no different when you consider the price of a 3d printer. Heck you have kids in Pakistan making 1911 copies with nothing but files and scrap metal.

• Like 1

I think he was simply trying to prove to those who believe that guns should be banned that there is even more power in information than there is in material objects. Attempts to ban this data will without a doubt be interpretted as an attack on the 1st amendment. Honestly though the media and gun grabbers are simply panicking over nothing. All of Browning's designs are illustrated in countless books. Anyone with the proper materials and tools can make a gun. It's really no different when you consider the price of a 3d printer. Heck you have kids in Pakistan making 1911 copies with nothing but files and scrap metal.

These 1911's that they make sound somewhat dangerous, are they reliable, or are they often little more than a homemade grenade looking to maim someone? I learn something new everyday, and thanks for seeing what I meant above.