My plan to mod a RS micro red dot mount to cowitness with a PA micro d

My plan to mod a RS micro red dot mount to cowitness with a PA micro red dot

SGL21-61

RS products 2nd gen AK-301 side rail

RS products 2nd gen Micro red dot mount

Primary Arms Micro red dot

I am extremely pleased with the quality of all the above items. This setup in my mind would be the perfect red dot configuration available for the money, but unfortunately the PA micro red dot will not cowitness until the rear sight it set to 500m or higher.

With the trajectory of the 7.62X39 having signicant bullet drop out past 300m it's my position cowitness needs to be at minimum the 200m rear sight setting. I've been informed by RS that the Aimpoint T-1/H-1 will cowitness on all rear sight settings.

So the choices were 1) accept that the PA micro red dot's will not cowitness, 2) sell the PA micro dot's I just purchased and buy a T-1, or 3) modify the mount to allow 200m setting cowitness.

After mounting the unit and taking measurements I determined that by dropping the optic by 70 thousands (.070") a clear 200m cowitness will be possible. I'll split the difference bewteen the side rail and the optic mount (.035" each). It will be necessary to use shorter mounting bolts from a 8-32 3/8" L to a 8-32 5/16" L, eventhough there is a 1/16" (.0625") length diffference there will only be a loss of .0275" thread engagment.

Dropping the mount by .070" will not hit the top cover this is certain, however I am not sure if I'll be able to remove the top cover with optic mounted. This side rail is so easy to remove and install without losing zero I don't forsee this being a problem even if it is the case.

RS-mod.jpg

I'll post an update after I make the modifications this week. Yes I am sure this will void the warranty.

If this works out as well as I hope I may offer this modification as a service. Any interest?

Correction: .270 +.108 =.378

Edited by ckrockets

The reason the mount has a bit of top cover standoff is that not every rifle has the same dust cover to optic space.

The PA micro has a thicker base and smaller internal viewable tube than the Aimpoint, and as you correctly surmised, surgery would be required to make that change.