DIY Floor lamp after sticker shock. Any ideas?

It's amazing how much things cost these days. I just finished up the upgrade on the fridge that drove me nuts and the old used up electric range. For mothers day, I installed a new ultra quiet ceiling fan that the wife loves. However, the light output is much lower than the old hunter we had up there. We will need a reading light next to the sectional couch in the living room. I just about fell over when I looked into purchasing one that looked cool and would fit our needs. A good looking floor lamp with an adjustable halogen bulb is around 300 bucks! Good Lord!

So, I figure I could make it fun and turn it into a project. The design I'm looking for is called an arc floor lamp. The ones with a heavy base that swing over the back of a couch in the form of a C.

My thought was to find a kit or something. They are also very expensive. I have all the wiring and sockets needed to make it. My thought was to put sand in copper pipe and bend it to form and somehow solder it to the base.

Any ideas on how to go about making a lamp? Suppliers or ideas on materials?

If you made lamps, post them here! I'm looking for all sorts of ideas.

Thanks!

No way should you have to spend that much. I've got two plain black "torchiere" type lamps I've used for years. One has a rheostat type switch, the other a two position. There are fancier ones but you should be able to get out for less than $100 easy;

http://www.lowes.com/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans/Lamps-Lamp-Shades/Floor-Lamps/_/N-1z10fiw/pl?cm_sp=Lighting-_-LightingFans|PopularCat-_-Merch|Floor_Lamps&cm_cr=Lamps+%26+Lamp+Shades-_-Web+Activity-_-Lamps+TF-_-SC_Lamps++Lamp+Shades_TopFlexible_Area-_-249609_3_#!

No way should you have to spend that much. I've got two plain black "torchiere" type lamps I've used for years. One has a rheostat type switch, the other a two position. There are fancier ones but you should be able to get out for less than $100 easy;

http://www.lowes.com/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans/Lamps-Lamp-Shades/Floor-Lamps/_/N-1z10fiw/pl?cm_sp=Lighting-_-LightingFans|PopularCat-_-Merch|Floor_Lamps&cm_cr=Lamps+%26+Lamp+Shades-_-Web+Activity-_-Lamps+TF-_-SC_Lamps++Lamp+Shades_TopFlexible_Area-_-249609_3_#!

Thanks man! I found the same type of light I was looking for. Under a bill and nearly identical to the one listed Amazon that my wife liked. To hell with that project! I sweat enough copper pipe during the work week!

Rock on!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_395433-56253-JS1-2260_4294798232__?productId=3745527&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Edited by Stryker0946

Look for a lamp in a Goodwill store.f you do not find the right lamp, you should find enough pieces to get what you want. Lamps use parts that have common threa (they are simular to pipe threads, but do not taper).

• Like 1

It's amazing how much things cost these days. I just finished up the upgrade on the fridge that drove me nuts and the old used up electric range. For mothers day, I installed a new ultra quiet ceiling fan that the wife loves. However, the light output is much lower than the old hunter we had up there. We will need a reading light next to the sectional couch in the living room. I just about fell over when I looked into purchasing one that looked cool and would fit our needs. A good looking floor lamp with an adjustable halogen bulb is around 300 bucks! Good Lord!

So, I figure I could make it fun and turn it into a project. The design I'm looking for is called an arc floor lamp. The ones with a heavy base that swing over the back of a couch in the form of a C.

My thought was to find a kit or something. They are also very expensive. I have all the wiring and sockets needed to make it. My thought was to put sand in copper pipe and bend it to form and somehow solder it to the base.

Any ideas on how to go about making a lamp? Suppliers or ideas on materials?

If you made lamps, post them here! I'm looking for all sorts of ideas.

Thanks!

Mig welder and get after it.

• Like 1

man I see floor lamps, table lamps at every garage sale in new subdivisions in medina, ohio, usually under 20 bucks, that are either practically new or new stuff that wives bought for the house and changed their minds, because it doesn't go with the décor

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

How about something like this, but with some of that (idk what it's called) flexible electrical conduit. You know that stuff that's about an inch in diameter and corrugated, also very stiff, would make a rigid "C" shape and could be adjusted. So you grab an $80 91/30, make some sort of 2 screw base that fits the buttplate connection (so the rifle stands up and can be removed for use if you want to take it apart). Then take the electrical conduit put a ring on foam in the inside diameter, but not so thick as to not allow the barrels in...just snug. THEN, mount it on the barrel witha car heater hoseclamp... Mount whatever type of light fixture on the end of the conduit, un the cable down the conduit, through the barrel, and out the bottom...plug it in and read a newspaper.

002.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a bachelor, and I wouldn't put something like that in my living room. my den yes, but not my living room

Styker, here is something similar for a bit less and free shipping

http://www.lampsusa.com/jenkins-1-light-energy-efficient-fluorescent-floor-lamp-polished-steel-ls-81909psfro.aspx

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

I like all the ideas. Not sure the wife would want a rifle in the living room! :) I like the idea of goodwill. we have a salvation army in kalispell. Might get down there some day and check it out.

It's amazing how google will steer you in a certain direction. I did a search at work on my break and found much different results.

The stuff it showed me at home was all posh and expensive. Guess it's customized to my wife's fi fu stuff.

I got one at Ikea, tried to find it on the website it was actually ok, was a standard stem lamp with a brushed stainless "bowl" and a little arm with a separate reading lamp. It resides in the house of a psychotic bitch who also took my original PS3, a bunch of random shit, and my German short haired pointer otherwise I would post a picture.