M&P 15 sport, cheapest of the cheap, eats any and everything.

I agree... I'll shove anything down the throat of all of my guns. They are all hungry and will eat anything.

Oh...I feel better now.

I thought it was the feds buying up all the ammo.

I thought the same thing. Fuckersanger.gif

My daniels defense ate a case of tula in a 2 day period without an issue and not being cleaned.. my saiga 223 did the same also... both barrels look fine and im still grouping at 300 yards with my ar...

• Like 1

My daniels defense ate a case of tula in a 2 day period without an issue and not being cleaned.. my saiga 223 did the same also... both barrels look fine and im still grouping at 300 yards with my ar...

+1 for a DD

I bet an AK would have similar wear if put to a torture test like that. I'm actually shocked the shrubies stood up that well, just goes to show you if you get the right model they are okish.

The amount of heat and abuse they took is crazy. That amount of heat cycling in such a short period of time is impressive. I wonder if they got a little cooked in the process lol.

Im curious how the barrel became shot from firing the different ammo.. from what i can tell the projectile is a projectile... now if they said the chamber was worn..aybe i would agree me

Wow, lots of good info. If anything, this is proof of the ARs superiority in the long run. They are showing chrome-lined barrels being shot out after 5k rounds of cheap russian surplus. Which platform are we more likely to use russian surplus with? Which rifle platform is easier to change barrels when they DO become shot out? Which rifle platform has cheaper quality replacement barrels (and extrators)? Argues for AR15 being a better, cheaper long-term platform with appropriate replacement parts.

Im curious how the barrel became shot from firing the different ammo.. from what i can tell the projectile is a projectile... now if they said the chamber was worn..aybe i would agree me

Because the Russian ammo is usually loaded with a BI-metal projectile.

That means the actual bullet jacket is made of mild steel (as opposed to a copper jacketed one) with just a thin copper wash applied to it (like some .22 RF rounds). Steel (no matter how mild it is) will never be a soft as copper going down a barrel (even a chrome lined one). Most likely they spray and prayed the ammo too, not letting it cool down sufficiently between magazine changes. :killer:

I believe they did explain that fact further down in the article somewhere.

Good find. I shoot steel case in my 2 ARs and they have been fine with about 1000K rounds each. I knew it might wearout some parts a tad quicker but overall, just like they said, it is cheaper to shoot steel cased stuff and then buy new parts and with good amount of money leftover for more ammo :).

I really liked that study. thanks for the link. That plus the guy who did the electron microscope scans of bi-metal, ends up with a pretty good picture. That said, I think the majority of my projectiles in the future are likely to be polymer coated lead.

Good find. I shoot steel case in my 2 ARs and they have been fine with about 1000K rounds each.

Wish I had that kind of money, I'm thinking that was a typo.

Most definitely was lol... I don't think there will be much left from wear of those rifles after 1000k haha... meant 1000+

The heat will eventually soften the best barrel until the rifling goes. Outside of Fort Apache not sure how valid all this was.

Given how much heat is brought back to the recvr on AR Im surprised they were able to hold on to them.

The results with Tula are pretty much on par what I've experienced. It's been the worst out of all Russian loads of .223 that I've tried. Frequent stuck cases, and when it does work it's significantly underloaded. Buying Tulammo/Herter's .223 is always taking a gamble with your money.

Wolf MC .223 is the superstar of Russian .223 loads, IMO. I've fired it side by side with 5.56 NATO and couldn't really tell the difference. It's loaded hot.

Edited by mancat

Hell I shoot brown bear .223 laquer coated exclusively out of 2 AR's and my Saiga. NEVER had a problem. Shoot all that steel case "laquer or poly" then shoot brass you will see some failures. But I shoot the shit out of it and I still cannot believe there are so many internet fudgies going around about steel case, laquer coated .223 being the worst ever....

I don't like poly, it just loves to rust, fucking rust magnet. Hell I don't think half the shit claimed to be poly coated is coated with anything, damn sure aint sealed.

Edited by jdub23

The Tula/Herter's that I just mentioned, I bought a 500rd case that appeared to be coated with nothing - just bare steel. It had lots of little spots of surface rust. You can tell there's a polymer coating when the cases look slightly dusty/waxy.

I've actually polished some tula ammo that was poly coated and had no problems getting the rounds to shine up to a mirror finish. I tried the same one day with a lacquer coated round and had one hell of a time getting it to shine. That clear coat really does it's job when it comes to protecting the case.

The Tula/Herter's that I just mentioned, I bought a 500rd case that appeared to be coated with nothing - just bare steel. It had lots of little spots of surface rust. You can tell there's a polymer coating when the cases look slightly dusty/waxy.

Yeah, I just didn't mention it when I was observing this because more often then not, there isn't any coating.

Which was fine when we were paying 30 cents a round for the stuff in 308.

Made great range ammo for the S308.

At these prices, no.

Will say this the Saiga really likes Tula for some reason, not kidding, weird.