We went for a drive last night in the Wonderbus, and happened to see an Albino deer. This pic is from my old school phone, so it's not great.post-16191-0-64224200-1368638365_thumb.jpg

There are several other deer in the pic to compare it to.

We also had a Bald Eagle Buzz the Bus and also saw a big Blue Heron and lots of Gophers.

• Like 4

Pretty cool. I've seen several piebald deer over the years, but never a true albino. I saved and scanned this picture out of an old calendar, because, well.....

Superstition says it's very bad luck to kill an albino or piebald.

post-23857-0-83689300-1368639229_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This was the first one I've seen. It was a great evening for wildlife viewing. The Lovely Lady and I enjoy going for a drive in the mountains as often as we can. I wish I could've gotten pics of the other cool birds we saw......gotta remember the Real camera.

If your looking for eagles, I have been very lucky going to stocked streams a day after stocking. They just fly up and down the river looking for stockies, and stop to eat/break in trees by the river.

Pretty cool. I've seen several piebald deer over the years, but never a true albino. I saved and scanned this picture out of an old calendar, because, well.....

It's also very bad luck with the game warden here!

Their survival rate is low in the wild because they lack the natural camouflage needed elude predators. That's why you don't see many of them. They really stick out like a sore thumb.

I have never heard that but you know I am weird about crap like this just like other native American superstitions and such concerning "special wildlife". I have a game ranch and I manage the whitetail population and I personally would not shoot an albino or piebald just because I think the North American Whitetail Buck deer is a magnificent animal if you ever pay close attention to these creatures and one of those are just too splendid an animal to shoot. I find Comanche artifacts all the time as well as things that long predate them by millions of years. They inhabited the land before me. I am just the current proprietor.

I am sure they taste just as good but for me, I can control who shoots what and these would be allowed to live their natural run on life, just like the rest of the 90% of the bucks on my place. But that's just me. I also control the gene pool somewhat as I paid big $$ years ago for some hybrid mulies, bucks and does to spread the wealth so to speak. They are monsters. One day someone will probably dig me up out there.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

I have never heard that but you know I am weird about crap like this just like other native American superstitions and such concerning "special wildlife". I have a game ranch and I manage the whitetail population and I personally would not shoot an albino or piebald just because I think the North American Whitetail Buck deer is a magnificent animal if you ever pay close attention to these creatures and one of those are just too splendid an animal to shoot. I find Comanche artifacts all the time as well as things that long predate them by millions of years. They inhabited the land before me. I am just the current proprietor.

I am sure they taste just as good but for me, I can control who shoots what and these would be allowed to live their natural run on life, just like the rest of the 90% of the bucks on my place. But that's just me. I also control the gene pool somewhat as I paid big $$ years ago for some hybrid mulies, bucks and does to spread the wealth so to speak. They are monsters. One day someone will probably dig me up out there.

My family and I have been conducting quality deer management for over 25 years on over 1K acres. The whitetail do very little crop damage and what they do take is organic. The spring water and bad axe river that runs in the middle of our valley provides fresh water and we have over 40 acres of food plots that are also organic and provide food year round.

As a conservative hunter, I don't see how a high fence game farm could possibly want to mix inferior genetics with cattle they have paid for. Letting that albino go on your game farm will spread a gene that is usually taken out by natural selection.

Their survival rate is low in the wild because they lack the natural camouflage needed elude predators. That's why you don't see many of them. They really stick out like a sore thumb.

They would probably do ok in Montana though, lots of snow to help keep them camouflaged. Except the last couple years...been pretty mellow where i'm at.

My family and I have been conducting quality deer management for over 25 years on over 1K acres. The whitetail do very little crop damage and what they do take is organic. The spring water and bad axe river that runs in the middle of our valley provides fresh water and we have over 40 acres of food plots that are also organic and provide food year round.

As a conservative hunter, I don't see how a high fence game farm could possibly want to mix inferior genetics with cattle they have paid for. Letting that albino go on your game farm will spread a gene that is usually taken out by natural selection.

Possibly however, in this part of Texas the buck population is as high as 50 per acre statistically speaking and white tails generally do not travel further than 1 mile from their birth areas. There are no abnormalities in the herd as best can be told and they are far from "cattle" which implies domestic livestock and or canned hunt situations which I vehemently oppose and reject the correlation. You cannot approach these animals. The ranch is a consortium of 3 other ranches comprising close to 15K acres and the natural selection process is no different from what would normally occur in a non managed area. It is actually much better for the herd as select foraging areas not available to non managed animals and plentiful H2O and protein supplement in very close proximity is available.

I have one living very close to my house. I've been seeing it out in the soy bean field about 100yds from my house now for a couple of years. The deer are plentiful around my yard when the farmer alternates to soy beans. You don't see quite as many deer around when they're growing cotton. During the drought we had the other year, the only patch of green grass in the area was along the leach line of my septic system. I ended up with piles and piles of deer shit along that green stretch of grass. My dog also decided that those were tasty snacks, they looked a lot like her dog food.

Edited by danklab

I have one living very close to my house. I've been seeing it out in the soy bean field about 100yds from my house now for a couple of years. The deer are plentiful around my yard when the farmer alternates to soy beans. You don't see quite as many deer around when they're growing cotton. During the drought we had the other year, the only patch of green grass in the area was along the leach line of my septic system. I ended up with piles and piles of deer shit along that green stretch of grass. My dog also decided that those were tasty snacks, they looked a lot like her dog food.

Hopefully, unlike my dogs, your dog did NOT roll around in all the fresh Deer crap!!!

Possibly however, in this part of Texas the buck population is as high as 50 per acre statistically speaking and white tails generally do not travel further than 1 mile from their birth areas. There are no abnormalities in the herd as best can be told and they are far from "cattle" which implies domestic livestock and or canned hunt situations which I vehemently oppose and reject the correlation. You cannot approach these animals. The ranch is a consortium of 3 other ranches comprising close to 15K acres and the natural selection process is no different from what would normally occur in a non managed area. It is actually much better for the herd as select foraging areas not available to non managed animals and plentiful H2O and protein supplement in very close proximity is available.

That sounds like CWD waiting to happen. 50 bucks per acre would be a huge overpopulation problem. No wonder the bucks down there are so small. I've never seen a buck that doesn't do a few miles in a day. That 1 mile from their birth area is a complete load of crap. It might happen if you have a feeder there for the deer when it's born. What you purchased was cattle. You paid money for a hybrid animal in commerce to change the genetics of your herd. The natural selection process is not working on your farm, you have introduced food sources in the form of minerals that will allow inferior genetics to produce large racks. You introduced a mule deer to your population and you allow albino deer to live for some strange reason. Even the predators have been removed so that the weak will survive. I don't profess to know everything about deer. My family just happens to have hunted and taken record of them for generations. The size of the land does not matter. It's how you hunt them. If you have control of your land, get rid of the fence, toss the minerals and put that money towards food plots, kill inferior genetics and know how to spot them.

• Like 1

1 acre is roughly 208' x 208'. Fifty bucks per acre? ....$?

haha.gifwhat.gif

• Like 1

1 acre is roughly 208' x 208'. Fifty bucks per acre? ....$?

haha.gifwhat.gif

It's a misnomer - Everything is bigger in TX.

In Texas, an acre is what the rest of us call a "County".

50 bucks / acre in the rest of America (after you add in the does and fawns) would make your land look like "arena seating" at a Stones concert.