bolt hold-open saiga12

hey guys i`m back with another question. as i told you guys before i just bought a legion saiga w/ magwell.

been examining the how the parts work as this is my first.

been trying to get used to the bolt release. it seems that when an empty mag is inserted and the bolt is pulled all the

way to the rear til it holds open by the catch, i can`t get it to release like you do with an ar. seems as if there is not enough

tab to push up through. it will only release if you pull the charge handle enough back to clear the catch. hope this is not the case.

does it make a difference if the mag was full? really was expecting it to function like an ar bolt catch where you just push the release

and close the bolt.

any answers for me? thanks!

Edited by lx2008

The magazine doesn't effect the BHO in the saiga 12.

You are correct, however that the only way to release the bho is by pulling the charging handle back. The BHO is just a metal tab that uses the hammer pin as an axis you have to manually (pull the charging handle back and push the BHO tab up) activate it. To release pull handle back, and let go.

thanks, not to sound too shitty but what a disappointment. i really can`t believe they could not make this thing to release

like an m16 ar15`s bolt release. does that not defeat the whole purpose of a magwell which is supposed to speed up the

process of changing mags? you fire 8+rounds, drop the mag, put a new loaded mag back in you should be able to

just push the bolt release and then good to go. i`ve tried it a few times practicing changing mags and you have to hold the shotgun

on your thigh or something like that, with left hand pull back ch handle and with right index finger push the release. that sucks big time!

gotta be a someway to modify the release tang so it overcomes the pressure of the bolt?

any thoughts? surely some of you guys have m16`s and ar`s and did not like this when you first used one.

It's an AK style weapon, and therefor functions like an AK, not an AR. Sorry to be blunt, but it's just a different platform. There's not LRBHO, so my suggestion is to get good at your round counts and reload while there is still one in the chamber, that way you won't have to cycle the bolt on reloads. However, another practice to keep in mind is a malfunction drill, where you practice cycling the weapon in the case of a cartridge malfunction.

I take it you've never used a standard rock-n-lock s-12?

Not to mention you're doing it all wrong. Don't try and press the lever above the trigger to release the bolt. Charge the carrier and proceed on. There's nothing complicated about it.

Edited: HotShot308 mentioned there is no LRBHO. Not true! The OP has an equipped magwell therefore let's assume he has the LRBHO as well since they go hand in hand. That's how they are being imported these days. Just like the Vepr-12.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

hey fellows, just an update for ya. finally got around to cleaning all of the factory grease from everywhere

in the receiver and got to shoot it. since i only had some winchester cheapies( 2 3/4 lowbrass #8 shot)

that my son uses in his 11-87, there just was hardly no back pressure to cycle it. so i only could do one at a

time. but i did find out that the bolt release works like i thought it should. apparently, when the bolt is locked

back and the safety is on, with at least one rd. in the mag the bolt will release with just a little pressure on the

release bar. tried it w/o the safety on and it won`t work.

anyhow, since these shells won`t cycle the action, and being i don`t know squat about shotgun shells, what brand

and type of shells do you guys recommend to break this in and get the action to cycle properly?

thanks for all your help guys! think i`m going to really enjoy this gun once i get it running right.

With the factory LRBHO you should never try to release bolt with an empty mag installed, with no mag or a full mag it works wonderful.

The bolt release is connected to the BHO via a long sheet metal lever. At the end of the lever that contacts magazine follower the sheet metal is on flat, and therefore flexes easily. When you fire your last round and the follower pushes up on the lever it is met with little resistance and easily engages BHO, Reversing the operation and trying to depress magazine spring the lever is met with quite a bit of resistance from the magazine and the lever flexes, it requires a much harder push to release bolt with an empty magazine because you have to overcome the added resistance of the magazine spring and also the flex in the BHO activation/release lever. Repeatedly doing this can slightly bend the lever and can lead to the LRBHO not working after a while.

With the factory LRBHO you should never try to release bolt with an empty mag installed, with no mag or a full mag it works wonderful.

The bolt release is connected to the BHO via a long sheet metal lever. At the end of the lever that contacts magazine follower the sheet metal is on flat, and therefore flexes easily. When you fire your last round and the follower pushes up on the lever it is met with little resistance and easily engages BHO, Reversing the operation and trying to depress magazine spring the lever is met with quite a bit of resistance from the magazine and the lever flexes, it requires a much harder push to release bolt with an empty magazine because you have to overcome the added resistance of the magazine spring and also the flex in the BHO activation/release lever. Repeatedly doing this can slightly bend the lever and can lead to the LRBHO not working after a while.

didn`t know that at the time but i figured it out. this is my first saiga. thanks for the tip though!

Try various loads of 3 1/2 DRAM, 3 1/4 DRAM, and 3 DRAM. Some manufacturer's label DRAM on the box, some do not.

thank you! i`m not shy. i`ll take any and all help.

while i`m in here, different topic if you guys don`t mind. its the sight system. not familiar with it at all.

i know its a shotgun but it must serve a decent purpose. i see that the front sight post is similar to an ar

but i think it screws in. i see threads on it. what about the flip-up elevation site. i notice it slides forward

which raises it up so i assume the more it moves forward is for more distant target.

can someone tell me where to go to find out how to use this system and use it for this shotgun?

would like to know also if you can zero this gun in the shotgun format and all.

please excuse me for being ignorant but this is my first AK platform weapon. are there any pinned posts

in here that tells you how to use this sighting system? i looked a little bit but could`nt find any.

thanks again.

can someone tell me where to go to find out how to use this system and use it for this shotgun?

Start with the tool kit that came with the gun. There is a flat piece that fits on the top site. Attached this to the cylinder tube which when both combined works like a "T" wrench. This will allow you to change your front elevation up or down. The rear site works in meters. Sighting in isn't hard. More trial and error. Personally I'd do it shooting slug or buck.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Start with the tool kit that came with the gun. There is a flat piece that fits on the top site. Attached this to the cylinder tube which when both combined works like a "T" wrench. This will allow you to change your front elevation up or down. The rear site works in meters. Sighting in isn't hard. More trial and error. Personally I'd do it shooting slug or buck.

ok, just wondering if you raise the rear site up ( like you would an ar) and then just raise up the front post or lower it as needed and then put the rear sight back down. that way it is zeroed at 25m or whatever like i did with an A2.