Tromix .410 Shorty SBS (pic)

I just finished an SBS conversion on the .410 that I picked up yesterday. I left the barrel a bit long at 14", but will cut it back a little at a time until I figure out exactly how short it can be and still run.

The factory gas port (single) was .169"

I cut the port in the shorty at .125" and will cut the barrel back a little at a time until it fails to cycle. That will be the mininum barrel length. Then the port will be opened up to about .145" or so and it should run just fine.

The entire gas system was moved rearward 4", so I would guess the barrel will probably end up around 10 or 11 inches. On the 12ga, I move the port back only 2" and can get them to run with 12" barrels even on light loads.

I'll test it this afternoon.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Edited by TonyRumore

Just got back from the range. I had two types of ammo that I tested, both Remington 3". One was marked Express Long Range 1135fps 11/16oz of 6 shot and those shells were green. The others were 3" marked Game Loads 1135fps 11/16oz #5 shot, those were black.

With the 14" barrel it ran both shells just fine. I kept cutting back the barrel a little at at time and everything ran great with both shells until the barrel was at 10.5. Then the black shells started failing to eject, but the green ones were still hurled out nicely. I am sure I could go shorter if I only ran the one type of shell, but I would prefer it to run everything, so I stopped there. Now I will open the gas port a bit more to get the black shells to run again and it will be set.

Here's a pic of the barrel cropped back to 10.5"

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=353295

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

Edited by TonyRumore

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just made my day man. How much would you charge for a gun already done up like that??? I was thinking about getting another saiga when they come back in and try a sbr. But if i can just buy one from you thats so much easier. Also, can you rethread these to take the factory chokes???

I can sell you this gun if you like. I got the gun for $200. The short barrel conversions run $550, so you are looking at $750 plus freight. I won't be able to thread the barrel for factory chokes. My old South Bend lathe will not cut metric threads.