Police Chief Asks Citizens for Ammo, Gets 1,500 Round Loan Amid Strong Response

May 16, 2013
2370 450

As the "Great Ammunition Shortage" continues, police departments across the country are struggling to supply their arsenals. One police chief turned to the community for help, and citizens stepped up.

In Proctor, Minnesota, police chief Walter Wobig says that his suppliers have told him he'll have to wait "months" for the 1,000 rounds he's requested.

When Wobig turned to the residents of Proctor by putting out a call for help meeting his department's ammo needs, citizens contacted his office, eager to help.

"The citizens were like, 'If you need something, we got plenty here,'" said Wobig.

One resident and a Proctor police officer loaned 1,500 rounds from their personal stockpile to the department.

The Chief says others offered to help too. "I had several other calls from other citizens that said, 'Hey, if you need more ammunition we have plenty,'" said Wobig.

The Chief says that when his ammunition order is filled, he will be repaying the citizens for their contributions.

Unbelievable. That Police Chief should be walking down the road...looking for another job. Fired with cause. How can a police department "run out of ammo"? Yep...like already said, there are many other ways to keep "the ammo shortage" from affecting a police department. Borrow from other depts? Feds? State? Military? (if they have any)

Something not right about this. Were the citizens video taped giving the ammo away? Now the Police chief knows who had some .40 Smith. Maybe they have more? I can see nothing good coming from this and lots of things going bad. At the least, why not just use .22rf for practice? Or...cancel the qualifications. We have to cut back. HB of CJ (old coot)

I am still trying to understand why. This is not a wild west town that has running gun fights every day that would deplete the ammo stock.

Some thing is fishy here.

Is this training ammo that they need? Have they run out of money? Is Barney in charge and if so does he still have his bullet in his pocket

With some of the local departments I’d figure the money for buying the ammo had been embezzled and / or the ammo supply had been stolen.

So where did the ammo go creating a lack of ammo?

Big crime wave that didn’t make it into the news, usually if LEO’s get in a shoot out that uses a pile of ammo someone would mention it.

Shot up during training, should have re-scheduled the training.

I never didn’t get a ticket because they had a paper shortage.

I really figure this was some kind of publicity stunt, the round count was too low to be a real issue.

Noticed there was no shortage of donuts reported in the area.

2010, there were 3,057 people, 1,268 households, and 795 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,019.0 inhabitants per square mile (393.4 /km2). There were 1,361 housing units at an average density of 453.7 per square mile (175.2 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.8% White, 0.2% African American, 1.1% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.

I have been here a few time in my life and I never saw a LEO.

Why use a 96% white town with no crime for this story? This is strange

5 LEO's, 2 cars and they dumped the K9 because of cost.

Edited by jerry52

Also, how the hell does he need to wait "months" for 1000rds? Yeah it's expensive, and it's hard to find, buy its not impossible, and certainly not bad to the point of needing to use civilians' ammo. That's utter BS right there.

I bet the "months" had more to do with exclusive supplier contracts he was stuck in and budget disbursements than with availability.

I am all for police departments being practical, and cut everyone involved a lot of slack. IMO this improves the relationship between those shooters and their PD.

And 1000 rounds doesn't sound like much practice ammo to me... Does his department only have 3 officers?

Whenever someone asks me for a loan the first thing I ask myself is "Would they do the same for me if the situation were reversed?" Enough said.

I agree with this. Why would I do a favor for somebody if I know for a fact that it would not be returned if the roles were reversed? Because I know exactly what sort of response I would receive, if I showed up at the local PD asking to borrow a cup of ammo.

Edited by Netpackrat

The problem I see is that the bullets are public property, so they cannot loan out, but your point is a good one.

If your local LEO would do this, let me know, I want live near you!

The problem I see is that the bullets are public property, so they cannot loan out, but your point is a good one.

If your local LEO would do this, let me know, I want live near you!

If they are public property, the why can't John Q. Public borrow some?

Is DHS ammo public property? If so, I'mma go get a loan. If you guys don't see me for a while, you'll know they said ummm... No?

It is public. You think it's not yours? The difference being it was purchased by the public collectively, for the use of specific personnel.

It was never purchased as a loan program so you cannot do it without changing laws, or a good LEO willing to ignore it for the benefit of the citizens.