Manual Last Round Bolt Hold Open?

So im starting to get into competition shooting with my saiga and Ive been trying different ways to speed up my reloading without having to buy a magwell or a LRBHO kit. After trying many different things I found that I could actually count my rounds while shooting and on the last shot press the bolt stop with the top of my trigger finger while shooting the last round off and the bolt stop will actually catch and hold the slide open which allows me to swap mags much faster. My question is, is doing this hard on my gun and could it become a big problem later on with repairs or malfunctions, or is it no big deal and nothing to worry about?

No big deal, but most of the competitors end up counting rounds, because why count on holdint the exact right pressure on the bHO while trying to shoot well.

That is just a distraction from good shooting. I recall one guy made a lever that pivoted to push on the bho so that he could use his thumb to do that. I've got a pic somewhere, but that didn't look like something I would want to mess with.

Now a left side charging handle to speed up the operation makes sense.

i have thought of this as well but i noticed when i hold it and work the bolt then bolt pushes the BHO down a little bit then locks it from going forward i was worried about it breaking somthing holding it up while firing. i just run the 20 round drum in 3 gun and dont have to reload :)

lol LRBHO kits? anyone?

None of the different schemes to do this have worked. Your only choice is to buy the Russian factory parts which were available in limited amounts for a very short time and are all sold out. But if those become available again, you can try that, but the installation is also a big project

So im starting to get into competition shooting with my saiga and Ive been trying different ways to speed up my reloading without having to buy a magwell or a LRBHO kit. After trying many different things I found that I could actually count my rounds while shooting and on the last shot press the bolt stop with the top of my trigger finger while shooting the last round off and the bolt stop will actually catch and hold the slide open which allows me to swap mags much faster. My question is, is doing this hard on my gun and could it become a big problem later on with repairs or malfunctions, or is it no big deal and nothing to worry about?

Well I am assuming you are competing in 3Gun, if so you are classified as open. You would be crazy not to run a magwell if you are serious about doing well. I tried running my Saiga as is because I felt very proficient in mag changes until I saw my friend do a mag change with his R&R Saiga inside of 2 seconds. LRBHO aside, you are still fighting the rock and lock magazine design which will cost you seconds. Plus if you are counting rounds you aren't fully focused on the stage, I never count rounds I just look at the stage and plan my mag changes based on how the stage is laid out.

After shooting my realativly new S12 and tuning my auto plug, I find the manual BHO rubs my finger. I'm thinking about removing it unless I can find a good mod. I thought I saw one that made it more like an AR style. Anyone have an easy link?

I don't do 3 gun, but having it rub on your finger during a completion I think would be very distracting...

Push it up and scribe a line on it along the bottom of the receiver. Remove it, grind it off to that line, round the corners and ease the edges. Reinstall. You don't need pictures or a link for that.

• Like 1

"None of the different schemes to do this have worked."

My original Jeric LRBHO kit works very well and my reload times have definitely improved during 3-gun stages as I feel the bolt lock back after firing, prompting an instinctive mag change. Plus I don't have to fight a closed bolt with a full magazine or download by one round to get the mag to seat.

I just looked and i didnt see any LRBHO available on the Cadiz website.

Email them and they'll sell you one. I've been in contact with them via email and I'm planning on ordering up one as soon as I get my bolt and carrier back from Pauly.