O

.073 4 port

.093 3 port

.073 4 port

.078 4 portBigger if needed to a max of .093" for any port.

30* angle or flatter. (20* would be better as long as they won't be running into each other.)

I did mine to .073 because ive read a few companys run that dim to usually get them going fine.

My .073 works perfect for mine. 7/8oz Winchester universal cycle just fine.

I could see .078 if you never reprofiled and smoothed your friction points.

Edited by travistp

\With it starting to cycle bulk, I may be able to get slug/magnum 2 3/4" rounds to cycle on #1, as they didn't before.

Did I read this correctly? Your build doesn't cycle high brass on setting one? Is it correct to say it doesn't cycle at all on setting one? My friend, I'm afraid you are going to give us "Port It" guys the last laugh.

I hear what Nephilem7 is saying. I just don't appreciate being told to "suck it" when we're only trying to help. That's kinda probing a stick in the bee's nest. Natural consequences will tell you that your only going to get stung.

On the plug I still have thread marks in the #1 area, so it may be oversize and cutting off all or most of the gas. Niether slugs or magnum rounds could seem to get it to cycle period. I've got a peened area in the cam slot on the carrier where the heavy rounds pounded the carrier against the bolt on #2. So on #2 the heavy 2 3/4" rounds may be overgassing. That's probably why just smoothing the action got the light stuff to start cycling without porting. For relyablity, I may only need to port 1 hole, instead of all 4. But I don't think I'm at that point just yet.

It's not that I don't apreciate you guys, I do! Everyone seemed to downplay what I was doing for their own idea, and that kind of got me a little raw. Seeing my gun go from bolt action to semi-auto without porting brought that out more. These guns are like Tesla coils. A little tweaking can make all the difference in spark length, and often, conventional wisdom is wrong.

It's not that I don't apreciate you guys, I do! Everyone seemed to downplay what I was doing for their own idea, and that kind of got me a little raw. Seeing my gun go from bolt action to semi-auto without porting brought that out more. These guns are like Tesla coils. A little tweaking can make all the difference in spark length, and often, conventional wisdom is wrong.

Well said.

I am sure no one intended to step on anyone else's toes. I hope I didn't come across that way to anyone. The fact that we are all a little passionate about these things and typing, not speaking directly, leads to sometimes getting a little sideways with each other... Either way, I think you are learning a lot through this process. I am sure you know more than I do, since mine was easy, and you are an armorer (so jealous). cool.png

Word of warning to anyone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they are doing: Take it easy on the locking lugs and channel. They are very temperamental and are essential to safety of operation. I will certainly never touch mine.

• Like 1

Everyone seemed to downplay what I was doing for their own idea, and that kind of got me a little raw. Seeing my gun go from bolt action to semi-auto without porting brought that out more. These guns are like Tesla coils. A little tweaking can make all the difference in spark length, and often, conventional wisdom is wrong.

We can see you're having fun. Nobody's trying to downplay your process. But I'll be straight forward and honest. You have a very unhealthy S-12. I have a four port build in which two ports were not completely drilled through. It still ran high brass on setting one. Tweak this, tweak that; play around all you want. But at least take the gas block off and look at your ports. I am not asking you to drill them.

I disagree with your Tesla coil analogy. Let's not make this more complicated than it actually is. Nor are you Jacques Cousteau. You are not exploring uncharted territory. Other's have gone before you. It's important to listen to their trials and errors or you run the risk of making the same mistakes.

Good luck. I enjoy reading your experience. We can not direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.

• Like 2

\With it starting to cycle bulk, I may be able to get slug/magnum 2 3/4" rounds to cycle on #1, as they didn't before.

Did I read this correctly? Your build doesn't cycle high brass on setting one? Is it correct to say it doesn't cycle at all on setting one? My friend, I'm afraid you are going to give us "Port It" guys the last laugh.

I hear what Nephilem7 is saying. I just don't appreciate being told to "suck it" when we're only trying to help. That's kinda probing a stick in the bee's nest. Natural consequences will tell you that your only going to get stung.

On the plug I still have thread marks in the #1 area, so it may be oversize and cutting off all or most of the gas. Niether slugs or magnum rounds could seem to get it to cycle period. I've got a peened area in the cam slot on the carrier where the heavy rounds pounded the carrier against the bolt on #2. So on #2 the heavy 2 3/4" rounds may be overgassing. That's probably why just smoothing the action got the light stuff to start cycling without porting. For relyablity, I may only need to port 1 hole, instead of all 4. But I don't think I'm at that point just yet.

It's no problem. No offense was taken nor meant. There isn't anything wrong with your approach, it was the same one I took, but unfortunately it was not enough for my gun and I had to open the ports up a bit. Hopefully profiling will take care of it for you. Congratuations on your progress thus far.

Idk too much about this but I am convinced porting is very important to to do. Pauly said, "Sometimes, I come across guns with 3 ports at .062".... That's missing SO much gas that it's ridiculous. No amount of internal work can replace that."

So If you've never gauged your ports. It probably wouldn't hurt to do so.

Someone else also told me and don't quote me on this. That in some cases with aftermarket gas regulators are sitting correctly over the ports and are just blocking all gas completely. Check that too just in case.

Idk too much about this but I am convinced porting is very important to to do. Pauly said, "Sometimes, I come across guns with 3 ports at .062".... That's missing SO much gas that it's ridiculous. No amount of internal work can replace that."

Someone else also told me and don't quote me on this. That in some cases with aftermarket gas regulators are sitting correctly over the ports and are just blocking all gas completely. Check that too just in case.

You should really read some of the information here. You've posting alot and just admitted you don't know too much about what you're talking about. Rather that parroting what someone else has said, educate yourself.

You should really read some of the information here. You've posting alot and just admitted you don't know too much about what you're talking about. Rather that parroting what someone else has said, educate yourself.

You misunderstand my intention. I just worded that wrong. I did my research and was just quoting someone someone who you guys actually know.

Ya, why do the obvious cheap,easy fix.

Maybe you could try super gluing a string to each shell and just pull them out by hand.

That way you can get 5 out of 5.

My wife overgassed on the stairs tonight and I didn't know if I would make it to the top.

what...? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Nemo, come up for air and tell us where you are at with your build.

• Like 1