Been doing vacuum pumps and air compressors for the past 32 1/2 years, last 13, owning my own company. I love being out on my own, but the stress of keeping the bills paid month to month, will really mess up your sleeping habits. The past 5-6 years have taken their tole on things, and even though the money right now is near nothing, but as long as we can keep the bills paid, I'll keep plugging at it for about another 5-10, then I'm going fishing.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I went from zero to 70 in about 48 hours. Finally back to work after five months and gonna be working around 70 hours a week. I had called this quarry to see if they were even hiring and the HR

Retired Military. Now I work Civil Service for Eglin Air Force Base working Range Support. Eglin AFB is the largest Military Reservation in North America. We are responsible for 680K acres of test

EMS     On weekends, I work as Ron Jeremy's stunt double...   Macbeau sends...  

Posted Images

Sunny, I looked into becoming a Smoke Jumper after retiring from the Military. I figured I had enough unintentional tree landings that I'd be pretty good at it. Sadly, the pay wasn't as much as the Civil Service position I hold now. Looked like good fun.

Sunny, I looked into becoming a Smoke Jumper after retiring from the Military. I figured I had enough unintentional tree landings that I'd be pretty good at it. Sadly, the pay wasn't as much as the Civil Service position I hold now. Looked like good fun.

Trust me, your Eglin AFB is a better deal. I've set parts of it on fire :-)

Big John it is crazy all the different things I've done. And I'm not even thirty.

Ya I am 31, and everyone is always giving me hell about how I've been into everything. I didn't even go over the whole scope heh.

I work for Mcneilus Companies in Dodge Center, MN. We build garbage trucks and concrete mixers. I work in the paint shop. I've done everything from prepping to painting to managing the shop.

2012-08-13_18-46-29_695_zpsad074152.jpg

You've painted Cemstone trucks?

Yep. And we have some going through now.

Trust me, your Eglin AFB is a better deal. I've set parts of it on fire :-)

Jackson Guard does a damn good job prescribing burns.

Public servant providing free services for the FSA. (really paid for by the working folks)

photo_zps9778f32c.jpg

What kind of surgery you doin?
Anesthesiology.

The most important person in the room.

collegehumor.089ff287375d04b0e84dcc04d62

"I DON'T THINK HE GONNA MAKE IT!!"

I am your tax dollar hard at work - another of the retired military and now working civil service. I did work in the private sector prior to the military and in-between active duty and my current civil service job. There’s still too much month at the end of the money so I’ll keep working for a while.

I've got an Electronics Engineering degree and an auto repair degree, yet I draw pictures on people for a (fun) living.

327655_2551488316178_1522986983_32641064

2013-05-06_20-00-55_643_zps98a3dcd5.jpg

I'm also a part time chemist, turning alcohol solutions into ammonia/water based liquids greedy.gif

2011-09-19_23-06-59_466_zps2561d1df.jpg

Mainly carjacking, Pimping and small theft. When I'm not doing those, I work as a Quality Engineer for a major heavy equipment corporation.

SouthernMost, You Wouldn't Happen To Be With A Company That Has A Feline For An Emblem Would Ya?

QA,QC Lab Monkey. Done A Lot Of Things.In The Mechanical And Production Fields But For Low Many Years, Been In Quality Control For An Engineering Company.

Nope, most of ours are leaping around, if you know what I mean. I don't disclose the name online.
Same.Here, No Need In Getting Them Involved. Just Wondered If We Might Be A Supplier For Your Company. Think It May Be So. ;)

Attorney and CPA. I did a small bit of work in Russia just after the break up of the Soviet Union. That is where I picked up an interest in Russian things.

Where in Phx?

Type of law?

Add edit: pm OK if prefered

Edited by garnaz

LEO is what pays the bills, and I also teach college classes on the side. But my passion is my wife and two little girls. Amazing how "soft" a little girl can make you. I can name all 8 disney princesses and sing the Doc McStuffins song word for word, which I sometimes do while cleaning a rifle :)

• Like 2

I'm also a part time chemist, turning alcohol solutions into ammonia/water based liquids

This made my day! It's so nice to FINALLY meet another expert in this field.

All joking aside, I'm a 3rd year Physics PhD graduate student specializing in terahertz (THz) science. I get paid to use one of the most powerful THz lasers in the world and nerd out, best job ever.

• Like 2

I'm also a part time chemist, turning alcohol solutions into ammonia/water based liquids

This made my day! It's so nice to FINALLY meet another expert in this field.

All joking aside, I'm a 3rd year Physics PhD graduate student specializing in terahertz (THz) science. I get paid to use one of the most powerful THz lasers in the world and nerd out, best job ever.

I brew also :)

So can I come and see the lazors?

• Like 1

I worked on an asphalt crew for two years, then found a better job laying stone. I stayed with the stone company for five years until 2008 when the new housing market hit the floor, then the company went under and I had to start over (which sucked because I really liked stone work).

As of the last five years I have been bartending at Arnold Palmers country club in western PA. I see the old guy all the time and serve him and his wife when they come in for dinner. He is one of the coolest people on earth.

Asphalt road construction is hard f'in work. I did it for 4 years and it beats you up. If I wasn't in my early twenties there's no way I would have survived.

I was 19 when I started doing asphalt with my dad. I didnt realize it at the time (because I was used to him working circles around me), but it is hard fucking work.

We both left at the same time to do stone work with a friend of his. The first few months until our stone yard got filled up, we were splitting sandstone with sledge hammers and steel wedges. First wed go into the woods with a back hoe, 100lb air jack hammer, and 100lb hydraulic splitter (plus hoses, giant diesel air compressor and hydraulic transfer box). Find a stone the size of a trailer, jackhammer holes, and split them apart, down to a hand splittable size. Bring a couple dump truck loads back to the yard and start whackin. Just when you though humpin 100lb tools, draggin hoses through the humid ass woods on a 95degree day was tough..... then would come the beating sun, swingin 12lb sledge all day long. Needles to say we were both in the best shape of our lives.

Asphalt is harder than laying the stone, but splitting the stone has asphalt beat.

Edited by Boomsick42

Burger king for 2. Projectionist/equipment repair/manager at movie theater for 7 years. Manager at Advance Auto for 3 years.

Now, I am a non-licensed nuclear equipment operator at a 3 unit nuclear plant for the last 5 years. Pretty neat stuff. Each 900 Megawatt reactor has four 9000hp 6900volt reactor coolant pumps keeping 579 deg F water circulating around the fuel at 2155psi to keep the reactor cool and happy.

• Like 1

I work for Mcneilus Companies in Dodge Center, MN. We build garbage trucks and concrete mixers. I work in the paint shop. I've done everything from prepping to painting to managing the shop.

2012-08-13_18-46-29_695_zpsad074152.jpg

You've painted Cemstone trucks?

Yep. And we have some going through now.

I believe you because we just ordered 4 new trucks for my location in St. Paul and a few more for other plants. Cool!