Extraction port filing

I was cruising the forums and I found these pictures. All the posters agreed that the best way to fix this is to file down the extractor port in the chamber and break the sharp edge. Before I take a file to my weapon I just wanted to ask what the potential risk to my weapon is? I would rather not turn my Saiga into a paperweight. Also, anyone have any helpful tips for filing this down?

Thanks

post-47530-0-05134300-1368928919_thumb.jpg

post-47530-0-07737800-1368928927.jpg

Tried rounding off the edge and go nothing, same jam as before. Switched to my factory mag (I had been using SGM 12 rounders with a magwell) and it ran perfectly. I'm going to continue to test, but for the time being I will continue to use the factory (Miracle) magazine.

Tried rounding off the edge and go nothing, same jam as before. Switched to my factory mag (I had been using SGM 12 rounders with a magwell) and it ran perfectly. I'm going to continue to test, but for the time being I will continue to use the factory (Miracle) magazine.

If you compare the two loaded mags side by side, I'll bet you will see the top round in the non-factory mag sticking up at a higher angle

Sounds right, the SGM magazines were mounting crazy high. I'm not sure though if it's the mag themselves that's the problem or a combination of the mags and the magwell. Right now I'm trying out different manufacturers with no magwell and seeing what happens. So far factory magazines are awesome and promags are terrible (didn't feed worth a darn), but that's not real surprising.

I have had best luck with AGP

I would be willing to trade a SGM 8 rounder for a AGP 10 rounder any day lol...

PROMAG sucks my ass.

Factory Izzy's rock.. wish they made a factory 15 round stick :P

I actually had the same problem today as the guy who posted this. I kept getting hung up.. this whats towards the end of the day after blasting 120 no problem.. Come to find out.. someone said those shells get soft while out in the heat... well that had the be the issue, they had to swell up some because it was hanging there almost every other round then i dropped it like its hot and all 14 came flying out from behind it.. Wonder if I need to start keeping a small ice chest around to keep these puppies tight :P

Anyone find a answer to why this problem occurs.. seems to happen a lot with md arms after shells have been outside with me. Wondering if the heat swelling the plastic and lead up in the shell. Or if its mags/drums.

What could be done to fix the problem. Slight radius is all I have seen anyone have any luck fixing the problem so my gun will run 100% instead of 98%?¿

We addressed this on Salt's S12, and Ye Olde addressed it exactly in post #5. The only thing I have to add, is get a shell such as win universal that kind of wants to make corners at the crimps and slide it around in there at wierd angles. See if you can find a line that the shell can snag within reason of what the mag can allow. If not, you are done.

I later ended up addressing my IZ108 just a little, because I had some handloads that weren't very tapered on the edge of the crimp (a disadvantage of my particular cheapo press) One shell with a minor flaw was able to snag. That was one too many for me.

Awesome. Ya ill take a look. It seems hot weather (95degress 100% humidity) makes the shells expand some. Always happens at the end of a hot day. Its some what radius now maybe need a little more roll over.

Could yall possibly take a picture of what yours looks like after rounding off the corners just to help future people out.

Perhaps "softens" is a better term than "expands" for what the plastic does in heat. As far as pictures, don't mind that it's a little dirty. That's a sign of use secret_smile.gif .......

post-23857-0-86306200-1370183994_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-06171900-1370184067_thumb.jpg

rub it in. I'll have one of those progressives with that someday.

Not sure whether it will come before or after the home made autocaster that will feed it with buckshot.

stacking the buck seems to be the biggest pain. also cutting sprews. Thanks again for the slugs gunfun I liked them. Im still on the hunt for a deal on a mold.

Edited by deadeye