Hello friends

I have had a 5.45 Saiga for a couple years now, and have kept it in original configuration.

PS...I can't believe what original Saiga 5.45's are selling for now...roughly three times what I paid for this rifle.

I have decided to start buying conversion parts. I have built my own AK from a parts kit, so I know I can do this job.

I am looking at stocks.

In my man cave, I have a couple AR collapsible stocks....one M4 plastic, one CAR aluminum. I was considering using one on the Saiga.

Looks like the RDAK adapter would be one option...I already have a spare AR buffer tube. Another option is the adapter with tube sold by CSS...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1152/M4-AK-Saiga-Stock/Detail?sfs=82de85d9

Any thoughts on which would be preferable?

Or are there other possibilities?

I will probably keep the OEM fore grip, as I like its feel.

I personally dont like AR stocks on AKs BUT I do think the link you had to CSS looks like the best option. Most of them I have seen with receiver blocks and adapters really look like an add on. At least that is one piece so it looks like it was made for that, and not an add on. I just wonder though how the sights line up with those set ups most AK stocks have an inch or more of comb. With the AR stocks being straight back it would seem like you would have to use raised optics. Maybe someone on here that has one will respond to this with their experience.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm open to the AR stock on an AK, since I like how compact they can be for storage...plus, I already have a couple buttstocks to choose from.

I have been reading up on this topic, and sight/stock relationship does not seem to be an issue.

These are just preliminary thoughts, though. I could easily see going with a soviet-contour plastic fixed stock.

Decisions decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went with the KVAR Warsaw length polymer stock for now. I have always liked the original AK buttstocks...I used to have a Romanian G build with laminate.

I finished most of my conversion last weekend...all except the installation of the bullet guide. Everything went well, it was easy and enjoyable work. However, you really know you are in deep when you take a Dremmel cutting wheel to a perfectly nice rifle and see the sparks fly!

I have the SAW grip on it right now for compliance. Not thrilled with it. I can't wait for the new magpul AK grip to come out...I have a magpul MOE on an AR and really like the feel. Can't wait to see what they do for a fore end.

I will probably do my bullet guide on my day off, tomorrow. I want it installed before I go to the range to try out the conversion. However, my Saiga seemed to run fine using Bulgarian poly 30's prior to installation. BTW, I am using the CSS bullet guide kit for my flat trunnion Saiga 5.45.

Edited by amd6547

If your going to do an Ar stock (which I don't really like) I would look at the vltor. They look good IMO. An I've used their Ar stocks on my ARs and they are very good.

But to me an ak is great cause you can put a true folding stock on it so unless I'm going with a fixed stock I'd do a folder. That's my option though and judging from the pic threads around here there are many people that disagree with me.