Alliant Power Pro Varmint

i have some of this, ive read what people have said, but there still not alot of data out there. so my question is, who has used it and what kind of results did you get?

im loading .223 with some 75gr BTHP

but i dont have a chrono yet so i cant give better results when i get them other than "it went bang"

thanks

gopher

Did you load up some and see what kind of GROUPS you were getting??? pressure signs? ring round the firing pin dimple? brass look ok? easy extraction? anything noteworthy to mention??

If groups are not acceptable... adjust a half grain or a whole grain LIGHTER and try those for groups. If those dont work, and data says you an go hotter and NOT BE AT MAX... try a half or whole grain heavier than the loads you got now...

lots of variables to tweak still... :up:

you could shoot the whole pound of powder and still not find the "best load combination" LOL!!! :lol:

:smoke:

thanks indy,

i have yet to load/shoot any of these rounds. but just looking up data similar to this powder, Ramshot TAC powder is the same consistency and the data that i do have for the PP varmint with 55gr bullets is only 52 fps difference, so that is whats going to be my starting point. i will defiantly post my findings here when i get them.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the long delay, Life happend. well here are my findings:

loading them was easy with no problems or hic-ups

also my red dot was not 100% zeroed but i didnt care just trying to put rounds on target.

my load compared to a standard LC M588 62gr

IMAG0060.jpg

first shot group was 10 rounds of tula 55gr FMJ @ 25 meters

3029f958-77d7-4590-8113-37caa617bf65.jpg

(note they were not keyholing, just how the target sat on the holder caused this)

it was pretty standard shooting nothing crazy or differnt.

now onto the 75gr loads

this time a 9 shot, shot group @25 meters

36520585-8b50-442f-8d4b-1e3fc86349d8.jpg

you can see that even at 25 meters there is a very noticable drop, but grouped very well.

here is a primer of a LC round, hope you can see the ring around the striking hole.

IMAG0061.jpg

and here is the primer of one of my loads. has a ring as well but not as much as the LC round had

IMAG0062.jpg

also one other thing i found while picking up the brass was that the casings were dented on the side.

IMAG0059.jpg

im thinking its caused by hitting either that bolt carrier or the reciever cover, has anyone had this sort of thing happen to them as well?

That is what i have found so far, ill be loading some more and going out to 100 meters next time to see what they do. and ill see if i cant get ahold of a chrono to get that data for you all as well. But what i can see here, this seems like a good load for this powder, and out of a 1:9 twist barrel. Hope this helped.

Gopher.

(i know my shot groups werent amazing, but i dont care, was not trying to set a world record, just getting raw data)

That is the AK dent. There are plenty of threads about it. You can squirt a glob of caulk onto the back edge of the opening in your dustcover to pad the impact, and use masking tape to make it into a nice looking bumper with clean edges.

Those loads are looking a bit "warm" to me... I would seriously consider backing the powder charge off by at least a half, if not a full grain, and see what the groups do.

Load say 5 or at most 10 of each before going too far... That will give you a good idea whats up.

As far as the groups... what optic you using? You should be getting groups that size at 100 yards. at 25 they should be 1 ragged hole if you are using a scope. With iron sights... thats not too bad.

:smoke:

thanks for the info indy, i was using a leapers red/green dot, but should have used iron sights, getting to the range is a bit hard b/c either i have to call and reserve the range with at least a days noticed or drive a half hour to BLM land for 5 or 10 shots. but i will do this and post my findings, just got to fix that ak denting issue, before all my brass is shot. will probably be 3 weeks till then b/c of army orders.

-Gopher

Edited by Gopher