share your ND (negligent discharge) story!

Okay I've gotten PM's from a few of you after I told my story a couple months back and I was surprised to hear there were as many of "us" out there.

I'll start so I'm the first idiot (and believe me I was stupid). I think this will be a fresh reminder for everyone to practice safe gun handling, because I know a lot of us get comfortable and complacent even lazy after being around guns so long.

I shot my foot with my Saiga 12..... I recently bought my first house and our neighbors invited us out to get a beer and dinner with them. We went with 4 or 5 other families and we happen to have 3 police officers and 2 firemen in on our street that were all up there. Well I had 2 beers in about 2 hours (I was driving) and my fiancée had 4 or 5 drinks and was in no shape to drive. Well we left to pick up our infant son and went home. Well, I always have one of my rifles and a shotgun loaded, in my big Liberty safe and always left the safety on, until this time... I went to grab my s12 from the safe and get it in the case ready to head to the range the next morning so I grabbed the pistol grip to pull it out of the safe and like a moron, and I still don't know why I did it, I grabbed the trigger when I picked it up. Boom! I put the gun on safe threw it in the safe and started to run upstairs when I felt all the warm blood, then I got a little scared and the pain started. I couldn't drive, GF couldn't drive so guess who showed up? Yup, all my new neighbors that were cops and firemen along with an ambulance.... how embarrassing! They gave me a BAC test (to see if I could have pain medication) and I blew 1/8 the legal limit so I can only blame my mistake on sheer laziness and stupidity.

Foot is okay now, still have around 20 lead pellets in there. Doc says it'd cause more damage to remove them than it will to leave them in. LESSON LEARNED!

Anyone who wants to tell me how stupid I am or that it'd never happen to you should think twice because I already know how fuckin stupid I was and also thought it'd" never happen to me". post-46357-0-11498900-1369153734_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-76972000-1369153780_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-72839100-1369153813_thumb.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was 18, she was 22 and super hot. The damn thing went off in my pants and that was the end I what I thought was going to be one hell of a night...

When I was around 11, my old man dropped a deer and had me hang onto his .30-06. He had me put the barrel down on the ground on top of his gloves. He did'nt tell me not to pull the trigger, as I was l

Syndicate just reminded me (I don't know how I forgot) of my hillbilly-ass neighbors at my last house. They invited me to "shotgun bowling" in their backyard. Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. W

Posted Images

Multi part screw up gave me my one and only (to date) “are you shitting me the gun went bang” shot.

Started with screwing up loading some 9mm shells for my Glock with some different than usual lead bullets I’d just got in. It was summer and hot as hell out side. I have an aftermarket barrel I use for shooting cast lead bullets in the 9 and generally use the stock barrel just with jacketed. I had the stock barrel out of the gun and after seating a bullet dropped in the chamber to check the depth it seated at. (wrong barrel for this ammo) Looked good so I punched out about 20 of them to test fire.

Went out back put the mag in the gun and racked the slide. Aimed it pulled the trigger in it went click. Shit, kept it pointed down range, took the mag out, waited a while and nothing. Went to rack the slide again, it didn’t move / stuck, as I looked at it closely I could tell it was very slightly out of battery, hit the back of it with my hand a couple of time and it fully seated into battery but the trigger was already pulled. Slide now stuck all the way forward can’t move it with my hand with a loaded chamber and the trigger pulled back. Laid the gun down got some wood and pushed on the receiver with the sides of the slide against the wood, it moved enough for the trigger to reset then went back fully into battery.

Turned around went back in the house and sat down to cool off and think about this (that was a big fuck up). Wanted to see the loaded round in the chamber so went to rack the slide again to get it out, slide didn’t move stuck again.

Now to this day I will never fully understand why other than just being a dumbass I pulled the trigger, the gun worked as designed. Fortunately I had the gun pointed down at the floor but it was a “are you shitting me, don’t bother I’ll shit myself” moment. Of course the wife was home and heard the bang, she wasn’t too thrilled with me right then.

Took the aftermarket barrel out of the gun and dropped a test round in it, they were fine in the factory but a bit long in the aftermarket barrel.

Learned boys with loaded toys should stay outside.

Edited by the 4th Doctor

I'm glad your story ended as good as it did.

I've never been involved w/ a firearm related ND but, I have seen loaded rounds, safety off, pointed at people unintentionally. Makes me sick thinking of it.

I did shoot myself in the palm with a nail-gun, while clearing a jam, in almost identical fashion. Finger on the trigger...bang!

Ended with a trip to the ER.

I laughed one day when I realized that even when i handle my cordless drill I subconsciously keep my finger off the trigger. ;)

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I had shoulder surgery. Bored out of my mind with absolutey nothing to do, sitting in my rocking chair-bed, and doped up on pain killers, I spot my .22 leaning against a wall. The one I used to keep skunks away from the food I put out for the wild cat's to keep mice at bay. Boy, haven't shot THIS in awhile. Sure is getting dusty. I might as well wipe it down. LOL. Had it propped up between my legs and oiling it down. Dust behind the trigger. POP! lol. New hole in roof. Put the rifle back in the corner. Scared the doggies enough for them to hide in the bedroom. Found the casing about a week later. Could have SWORE I emptied it before I put it there previously.

I guess that wasn't the only ND I was a part of. Right when I turned 21 I went shooting with my new Glock 20 10mm and me and my buddy went back to his house afterwards to hang out with another Buddy. I have my CCW so after shooting I loaded it up with Hydrashocks and chambered one, brought it in the house with me (in a holster) and set it on top of the tall entertainment center out of reach. Our other buddy knew nothing about guns an wanted to see it so I dropped the mag, emptied the chamber and popped the mag back in before handing it to him. Wrong move. Before I could do anything he racked the slide and pulled the trigger. The 10mm went up and at an angel right past my head, literally inches away, through the ceiling, into the bathroom where my friends GF was, out the bathroom ceiling, through the roof, and into another part of the roof before stopping. We were all shocked and extremely lucky and I learned a very valuable lesson. I NEVER hand a gun and ammo to someone to "look at it" anymore. Don't care who you are or how many years you've been shooting guns. No mag and no ammo.

• Like 1

I haven't had an ND (yet; hopefully never), but I have two true stories. Long, long ago, in a tropical paradise far, far away we had M-14's. After several months in this tropical wonder land, we received M-16's. We received no instructions, other than "Here you go; go clean it and secure it." Everyone was new to this weapon, and playing with them. The FNG that had the bunk next to mine was sitting on the edge of his bunk, next to mine. The M-16 went off and put a bullet hole in the tin roof directly above my bunk. Luckily I wasn't there, or I probably would have caught right between the eyes. FNG of coarse claimed he had chambered a round, and he was probably right, as we hadn't been issued the ammo yet. The armorer evidently hadn't properly checked the weapons and our guys didn't check either.

The second episode was long ago on the Texas-Mexico border. I was an Army Military Intelligence officer attached to a Federal Law Enforcement Agency, doing Counter-Drug Intelligence. I was in the Air Branch office of this agency, and noticed a rather large crater in the concrete floor in front of a steel desk. There was a ragged hole in the front corner of the steel desk, with pock marks around the hole. There was a larger ragged hole on the side of the desk, toward the front. I was naturally curious about this and asked the obvious question "What the Hell happened?" I was told that a rather new Special Agent had been playing with an M-16, and had an ND, into the floor and through the desk. It had happened several months earlier, and no one was injured, but they decided to not repair anything, as a visual reminder to safely handle guns.

The lesson to be learned is it can happen to anyone, if they become careless. Check your weapon, ensure the chamber is clear, keep your finger off the trigger!

Over the years I’ve seen some others and unlike some of the ones you read about where the gun malfunctioned in every case the gun worked fine the operator malfunctioned. Every time someone pulled the trigger.

At matches seems like the most common is with holstering and drawing the pistol people have scared the poop out of ROs and the rest of the squad right before being DQed.

2nd most common is moving during the stage between shooting positions with their finger on the trigger they squeeze one off or even worse they fall down.

These things don’t happen very often at matches but when they do you see the whole group keep their fingers further away from the triggers for a while. For the record it’s not always new shooters, of the 3 times I’ve seen in almost 40 years of matches 2 were people who had been shooting for years.

The same thing you like about a gun being reliable and goes bang when you pull the trigger sucks when you have a head up ass moment. I’ve tried to think of any way on the planet that that floor shot of mine wasn’t my fault but it comes down to I pulled the trigger and killed the carpet.

I've never had a negligent discharge, per se, but I have had a holstered firearm discharge, with no hands on the weapon. After dumping way too many rounds of bulk pack through a suppressed P22, the can was hot enough to burn the shit out of my hand - so, I put it back in the holster. I use a Glock 19/23 Serpa holster with a little bit of padding added inside, and it fits a P22 with suppressor very nicely - the can just sticks out the bottom of the holster. I had inserted another magazine, of Remington subsonic if I remember right, and chambered a round before holstering the pistol - not the best idea. While firing another weapon, I felt an impingement on the toes of my right foot. I finished off the mag, and then looked at my foot - sure, enough there was a big old dent in my shoe. I've never been happier about steel toes. Shoes for Crews makes shoes that can withstand a .22.

I also managed to bounce a piece of jacket into a friend's face once. We were shooting a spinner, I had JHP in one of my mags, and when the bullet hit the target, the jacket separated and a little razor-sharp strip of jacket hit him where he was shooting about ten feet down the line. Oops.

My late girlfriend managed to put a 38 Spl through 3 walls and one side of the bathroom sink cabinet. I found the well mushroomed bullet laying quietly inside the cabinet. For some reason she pulled the pistol out to look at it, cocked the hammer and went boom. Oopps!

Never had a ND myself...I hope I never do.

I witnessed my roommate in college shoot out his bedroom TV with a .22 revolver. He was showing it to another buddy of ours and he pulled the hammer half way back and rolled the cylinder and for some reason when it stopped he let go of the hammer....Hit the TV dead center....It was an old tube TV and didn't even go all the way thru. We heard the bullet rolling around in the in the body when we carried it out to the dumpster. We still give him a hard time about it to this day. I couldn't have aimed and hit that TV more dead center.

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 1

The closest I have ever come to a ND was out in the woods with an SKS. I had recently mounted a scope and my buddy wanted to go play. After a couple hours of general plinking, we were pretty relaxed and I had just reloaded. Evidently I hadn't flipped the safety back up and went to shoulder the weapon. Just as I did, a stick shifted under my foot and my finger fell on the trigger.

Bang. Silver dollar eyes. We stared at each other for a moment. I got lucky- it was pointed downrange and harmlessly struck near the target.

I had far too many close-calls with my ex. Multiple times with my P22; she had a round chambered, safety off, hammer back, finger on the trigger, and turned around to talk to me. Still in a shooting stance with the weapon pointed at my chest, she'd start to ask a question and I'd come unglued. I nearly slapped that bitch. Wish I had. The new one has learned vicariously. Good girl. :)

• Like 1

No NG, but came very very close due to pure stupidity on my part. Decided on the spur to just walk to our local close friendly grocery store and get a few things. Since we live practically in Dodge, I put my trusty Charter Arms .44 special revolver into my front left Levis pants pocket. CCP.

Now "packin" and feeling safe, (duhh!) I got my groceries, got home, climbed the stairs and put the things away. Then reached into my front left pants pocket to pull out my trusty Bulldog .44 and realized I had accidently COCKED THE REVOLVER putting it INTO my Levis pants pocket!!

All that time I was just about a 3 pound SA trigger pull from putting a Winchester Silvertip 200 grain Aluminum Hollow Point point blank thru my upper left leg...right though where the artery runs. Wow. I was actually shaking for about one hour. THAT CLOSE!!! Shit head. HB of CJ (old coot)

• Like 1

I had one, when working on a trigger. Luckily, the gun was pointed at the target. I thought I had an FTF, and racked it. I looked down to see if the round that was ejected was spent. It was not, so I started reaching down, and my finger slipped off the guard (working on a slide fire, so its easy), and pow. The bullet impacted the upper half of the berm and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I am obsessive about safety. So obsessive, in fact, that it has posed an obstacle in getting my wife to shoot with me. That stupid mistake of mine has made me re-double my safety efforts. Not sure if the wife will ever shoot with me! HA!

Edited by Remek

No ND here. I've been around people who have scared the hell out of me though. About six years ago, when I was getting my CHL, one of the students in the class pulled the trigger on their glock and it didn't fire. The genius turned the gun over and proceeded to look down the barrel to see why it didn't fire. We all SCREAMED in horror at that person to turn the gun away from their face, to which the said person reacted by pointing it at US waiving it back and fourth with a confused look on their face. I think everyone in that class shat themselves as a result of that incident. The instructor stopped the class cleared and secured the weapon, and told that person that they would have to qualify alone.

Edited by DLT

No ND here. I've been around people who have scared the hell out of me though. About six years ago, when I was getting my CHL, one of the students in the class pulled the trigger on their glock and it didn't fire. The genius turned the gun over and proceeded to look down the barrel to see why it didn't fire. We all SCREAMED in horror at that person to turn the gun away from their face, to which the said person reacted by pointing it at US waiving it back and fourth with a confused look on their face. I think everyone in that class shat themselves as a result of that incident. The instructor stopped the class cleared and secured the weapon, and told that person that they would have to qualify alone.

Heh. Watched someone do that at an indoor range, had a couple people draw down on him in response. Employees saw it on the cams, came back, kicked him out and banned/barred him.

Got my son a Daisey Red Rider for Christmas when he was 5.

That morning, after he opens it, I'm showing him how to always keep it pointed away from people just in case.....I point it at the Christmas Tree and pull the trigger and bb comes flying out. My wife wasn't too impressed. :) Either myself or my son had taken the safety off.

(The previous day, I had taken it out back and "tested" it on some cans so it was still loaded.)

You should have been there when I got my 5.45 for Christmas! J/K

Edited by Sim_Player

I had a kind of ND I guess. I think anytime a gun goes off and your not totally expecting it it scares the shit out of you.

I had just brought home my brand new Draco AK and was testing it for the first time. Well the trigger I guess had really rough spots on it cause it totally jammed up and wouldn't fire, I turned the weapon ejection side up so I could check to see if the hammer was up against the firing pin it was still cocked so with the weapon still pointed at the target I pulled the trigger, nothing, I pulled it HARD and boom I knew what I was doing it still surprised me and that's not a good feeling when your holding a gun.

lol yea.... i Got the ND stories.

1. Be 14 out shooting with friend and friend's dad in backyard country. shows me how to load. I load gun while barrel is pointed at feet. accidentitly pull trigger after i load and shoot top of foot.

2. Be 18. just got a new Xdm after i got my permit. put on slip on grip. testing safety double safety not knowing slip on grip has slipped over rear safety. squeeze trigger thinking rear safety is still not pressed. blow hole in wall.

3. Be 19. At friends house playing with dog. just got back from range. all weapons unloaded. I dont see friend load back his 1911. take 1911 because im bored and drop the mag and squeeze the trigger. blow a hole through room door and front door.

5 years without incident :)

• Like 1

When I was around 11, my old man dropped a deer and had me hang onto his .30-06. He had me put the barrel down on the ground on top of his gloves. He did'nt tell me not to pull the trigger, as I was leaning on his rifle and being half my height now. "BANG!!!!" clean through both his gloves, and only about 2' away from him. He hit-n-rolled, and gave me a three second stare has since been etched into my soul that has made me the safest person with a firearm that I will ever know! He never said a word about it to me.

A certain look is worth a thousand words!!

• Like 2

When I was around 11, my old man dropped a deer and had me hang onto his .30-06. He had me put the barrel down on the ground on top of his gloves. He did'nt tell me not to pull the trigger, as I was leaning on his rifle and being half my height now. "BANG!!!!" clean through both his gloves, and only about 2' away from him. He hit-n-rolled, and gave me a three second stare has since been etched into my soul that has made me the safest person with a firearm that I will ever know! He never said a word about it to me.A certain look is worth a thousand words!!

That reminds me of the time when my cousin and I were 10 and in the deer stand with my uncle when he shot a MONSTER 11 point buck. He left me with his 45 since it was dark and the coyotes were howling lol (little did I know he unloaded it and took the mag out but it made me feel safe!), so I stood guard and after 15 minutes I hear another shot... but it was pitch black out. After about an hour he came back to get me and the deer and what happened was his Remington 700 went off all by itself while cycling the bolt and unloading the gun and he shot a hole straight through the gas tank on his new truck. Later on in life I learned some model 700's had a major design flaw in the safety and could go off seemingly on their own.